Oh, how the other half ride...

Fursty Ferret
Fursty Ferret Posts: 189
edited July 2013 in Road general
Went out for a pedal through the countryside with two friends on Tuesday night. Both Royal Marines, both experienced competitors. One was a former CAT 1 before he joined up, the other is a lifelong TTer and involved in the lower levels of the national coaching set up. As for me, a 40 year old enthusiast who rides a lot, at a good average, but mainly on my own and never competitively.

Oh. My. God.

I think it was at the point where, holding 32mph, with those two beasting each other and me trailing behind them absolutely desparately trying to hold a wheel, knowing that a) my heart was going to explode sooner or later and b) If I came off the back they'd be in a different county before they noticed, that I gained a sudden and yet still tiny insight as to firstly, just how good committed amateurs are, let alone actual pros, and secondly just how effing tough this sport is.

Although they obviously dropped the speed after a while, the ride continued for 45 miles with a constant committed pace from on or other of those two guys, always seeking to take the lead, always attacking, always competing, and me in the mix trying my best not to crack. There would be bursts a couple of miles when one of them would ramp it back up to maximum effort and by the last one of those, about 38 miles in, I was on the verge of having to admit defeat (I had already been humiliated on a climb when they quite literally just took off). Luckily I was the only one who knew the directions and I let them miss a turning before shouting and calling them back. That gave me precious moments, what with fiddling with my waterbottle and pretending to have dropped something, to get my breath back and carry on. Fortunately by then they had had their fun, and the last few miles were (comparatively) sedate

They very nearly broke me, good and proper.

Great fun though. And a pleasure to ride with guys who obviously know what they were doing.

Comments

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Sounds like you had fun. Stick with them for a month or so and your fitness will improve immensely.

I remember getting my ego re-aligned at my first race. I couldn't believe just how hard I had to work to stay in the bunch. Then I got better and started owning the bunch. Then I got knocked off by the bunch and I don't race any longer. I don't like bunches anymore.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I tend to find getting a good thrashing on a ride once a while really good motivation, its easy when you ride on your own a lot or with the same club/group of friends to forget how awful you really are. My most recent thrashing came from a lad at my new work who is a decent amateur duoathlete (and by his own admission a good runner but not so good cyclist) who left me for dead on a climb where usually I'd be setting the pace with my normal friends.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Do you have a link to Strava of the ride?
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    TheFD wrote:

It's a story, people often exagerate to emphasise a point. You don't need to be getting all het up over somebody else's ride. :roll:
  • TheFD wrote:

It's a story, people often exagerate to emphasise a point. You don't need to be getting all het up over somebody else's ride. :roll:

For God's sake, where's the exaggeration. Oh, don't tell me, I'll work it out myself.

1) My outlandish claim that somewhere out there are two serving Royal Marines, one of whom nearly made it to elite level before he joined, the other who has time trialled since he was about 12. This however is obviously a fabrication as no such human beings could possibly exist.

2) A short period at 32 mph on the flat for a limited period is a speed absolutely unattainable by any human being, certainly not one who is sheltering inches behind two highly experienced competitors who are absolutely smashing themelves. This could never happen, it is simply not humanly possible.

3) The ride lasted for 45 miles. An impossible distance. Man could, ordinarily, never contemplate such feats of endurance and so his only recourse is, yet again, to exaggerate.

4) There were three or four bursts of maximum effort. This of course could never happen. One is the only permitted amount, so as to accord with believeability.

5) There was a hill that I got dropped on. This of course is the only true part of the story.

6) No strava. Or maybe I'm lying about that as well. I didn't even have my cateye velo wireless as it was bust. Or maybe it wasn't. I relied upon someone else telling me what the speed was after we had finished. Or maybe I didn't.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    TheFD wrote:

yeah, and as they were both marines, we also need their military service numbers...
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Imposter wrote:
    TheFD wrote:

yeah, and as they were both marines, we also need their military service numbers...

A link to the YouTube video would also be appreciated ;)
  • Andy9964 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    TheFD wrote:

Catering Corp?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Andy9964 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    TheFD wrote:

TheFD wrote:

What a bunch of knobs!

I only asked as I was interested in seeing the average speed - not because I didn't believe the story!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    TheFD wrote:
    Andy9964 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    TheFD wrote:

TheFD wrote:

What a bunch of knobs!

I only asked as I was interested in seeing the average speed - not because I didn't believe the story!

don't spoil a good thread by being serious.. ;)
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    For God's sake, where's the exaggeration. Oh, don't tell me, I'll work it out myself.

1) My outlandish claim that somewhere out there are two serving Royal Marines, one of whom nearly made it to elite level before he joined, the other who has time trialled since he was about 12. This however is obviously a fabrication as no such human beings could possibly exist.

2) A short period at 32 mph on the flat for a limited period is a speed absolutely unattainable by any human being, certainly not one who is sheltering inches behind two highly experienced competitors who are absolutely smashing themelves. This could never happen, it is simply not humanly possible.

3) The ride lasted for 45 miles. An impossible distance. Man could, ordinarily, never contemplate such feats of endurance and so his only recourse is, yet again, to exaggerate.

4) There were three or four bursts of maximum effort. This of course could never happen. One is the only permitted amount, so as to accord with believeability.

5) There was a hill that I got dropped on. This of course is the only true part of the story.

6) No strava. Or maybe I'm lying about that as well. I didn't even have my cateye velo wireless as it was bust. Or maybe it wasn't. I relied upon someone else telling me what the speed was after we had finished. Or maybe I didn't.
    Excellent use of font, grammatical accuracy, consistent list numbering, emboldening and, in particular, white space.

Nicely done.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • adam0bmx0
    adam0bmx0 Posts: 263
    29526447.jpg
    If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    9112016.jpg
  • Went out for a pedal through the countryside with two friends on Tuesday night. Both Royal Marines, both experienced competitors. One was a former CAT 1 before he joined up, the other is a lifelong TTer and involved in the lower levels of the national coaching set up. As for me, a 40 year old enthusiast who rides a lot, at a good average, but mainly on my own and never competitively.

Oh. My. God.

I think it was at the point where, holding 32mph, with those two beasting each other and me trailing behind them absolutely desparately trying to hold a wheel, knowing that a) my heart was going to explode sooner or later and b) If I came off the back they'd be in a different county before they noticed, that I gained a sudden and yet still tiny insight as to firstly, just how good committed amateurs are, let alone actual pros, and secondly just how effing tough this sport is.

Although they obviously dropped the speed after a while, the ride continued for 45 miles with a constant committed pace from on or other of those two guys, always seeking to take the lead, always attacking, always competing, and me in the mix trying my best not to crack. There would be bursts a couple of miles when one of them would ramp it back up to maximum effort and by the last one of those, about 38 miles in, I was on the verge of having to admit defeat (I had already been humiliated on a climb when they quite literally just took off). Luckily I was the only one who knew the directions and I let them miss a turning before shouting and calling them back. That gave me precious moments, what with fiddling with my waterbottle and pretending to have dropped something, to get my breath back and carry on. Fortunately by then they had had their fun, and the last few miles were (comparatively) sedate

They very nearly broke me, good and proper.

Great fun though. And a pleasure to ride with guys who obviously know what they were doing.

What was the edit for?
  • Spelling.
  • RiderUk
    RiderUk Posts: 71
    Fursty Ferret - "I know what you mean"
    I attempted to keep up the with the faster riders within our group during a club ride recently. Having already completed about 40 miles, the last 10 or so miles was flat and as expected the space quickened which usually splits up the group.
    From 25 mph, increasing to over 30 mph at times I did my best to stay with them then found my energy levels starting to reduce as maintaining a high speed mile after mile is no easy task for some.
    It's a major adrenaline rush, even though I did get dropped :-)
    These riders are very fit they appear to ride effortlessly,their setup is perfect and ride with panache and a style which is something to aspire to.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    I'm not going to live long enough.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    RiderUk wrote:
    I attempted to keep up the with the faster riders within our group during a club ride recently. Having already completed about 40 miles, the last 10 or so miles was flat and as expected the space quickened which usually splits up the group.
    From 25 mph, increasing to over 30 mph at times I did my best to stay with them then found my energy levels starting to reduce as maintaining a high speed mile after mile is no easy task for some.
    These riders are very fit they appear to ride effortlessly,their setup is perfect and ride with panache and a style which is something to aspire to.

This is clearly bullsh*t
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    My days of holding 30 mph over anything more than a mile or two are waaaaay behind me. Though I do still enjoy destroying others up hills. Cycling like any other sport as athletes of all levels and abilities so you should never feel down hearted when blown out the back by fitter guys. Sounds like the OP found some strange satisfaction in getting such an ass- whupping, personally I don't enjoy riding out of my level either with flyers or dudes whom you spend half the time waiting for but props if that's your bag.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • RiderUk
    RiderUk Posts: 71
    rodgers73 wrote:
    RiderUk wrote:

This is clearly bullsh*t

Thanks very much!!!
    It's amazing,you make a genuine contribution to a thread only to receive a comment "This is cleary bullshit"
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    RiderUk wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:
    RiderUk wrote:

This is clearly bullsh*t

Thanks very much!!!
    It's amazing,you make a genuine contribution to a thread only to receive a comment "This is cleary bullshit"

That's the internet for you.I thought it was an interesting contribution,it was relevant and I enjoyed reading it. :D
  • john1967 wrote:
    RiderUk wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:
    RiderUk wrote:

This is clearly bullsh*t

Thanks very much!!!

That's the internet for you.I thought it was an interesting contribution,it was relevant and I enjoyed reading it. :D

Doesn't mean its still not bullshit :wink:
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    TheFD wrote:

Erm? I was on your side. :|
  • Read your initial response. It came across as insinuating that I had exaggerated for effect. Apologies though if I misinterpreted you.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Mucho entertaining read :D

I do love barreling along in the fast group, rotating with 3-4 people all giving it some in the mid to high 20s. I can only imagine how fast a pro peloton can shift.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    You have to make a fair few sacrifices in life just to be a 2nd cat!