Small steps to 100mls

Thelittlesthobo
Thelittlesthobo Posts: 184
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Hi guys. I used to post on here about 1-2yrs ago when I was getting into road cycling after a knee injury wrecked my ability to do other sports. Anyhow unfortunately the knee needed further ops so for the last year it's been pretty much zilch achieved.

End of may I was feeling overweight (2st) and unhappy so cracked the bike out and decided to see if the knees could cope. In the last 2mths I am now getting towards about 450mls and my speeds etc have improved pretty quickly. Starting to see some top 10 strava sections and even got a (I know very estimated) 329w output for a couple of miles section. I have lost half a stone so far

Mileage wise I have been doing regular 6-8mls each way commutes and even increased this to regular 15mls commutes. Other rides have been based on the following

20mls flat
20mls hilly
25mls flat
25mls hilly
You get the picture...........
Upto 45mls hilly now and at the weekend it will be 55mls hilly (lakes) so a bit of a step which I think I will cope with.

Anyhow, the plan is a 100mls before the end of the year which I was gutted to miss last time (I got to 85mls hilly) due to the knee

Not sure if this is a self boast or just a point to say how good cycling has been for me since the injury but thanks for reading.

Oh is this a good method for building up mileage?

Comments

• Hi there. Yeah cycling alone isn't going to sort the issues with my knee. I have had over 2 yrs of physio and all kinds of programmes etc to try to sort it. Mainly vmo based things but tbh it's as mechanical as it is muscle based (I have tracking issues with my patella on both knees). Anyhow the other exercise I have found that is working is bouldering. Amazingly all the stretching and strength needed for hauling my fat ass about is really helping.
  • Oh and hill walking is out. I tried but it caused pretty painfull tendinitis in the other knee even on moderate climbs.

Tbh i feel as though I am about on top of the knees as I will ever be so I now regard that period as over. It took me over 12mths to be able to ride out of the saddle stood up. Now it's a pleasure :P

All about getting faster and fitter now