Ride with Contador

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited September 2014 in Pro race
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    I did the Granfondo Stelvio earlier this year which did these two climbs and then went up the Stelvio.

Really enjoyed it and would recommend the cycling/area/hospitality/Hotel San Lorenzo.

During said event the locals held a fantastic barbecue at the top of the Mortirolo. It is therefore no surprise to me that despite Contador being Spanish he has turned to the proven culinary skills of the residents of Bormio to cook his steaks.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I might give it a miss - he will probably fall off in front of me and make me crash :)
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    I would get bored having to wait for him on every climb.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,400
    jonomc4 wrote:
    I might give it a miss - he will probably fall off in front of me and make me crash :)
    :lol:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    mike6 wrote:
    I would get bored having to wait for him on every climb.

He never comes through to take his turn on the front either
  • frenchfighter
    Sad lot of folks you are eh.

Oh well, some Europeans would relish the opportunity as would I if I was in the area.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    2 weeks too early for me but I'll enjoy the peace and quiet of doing it on my own in the middle of August when I'm based out there
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199

Oh well, some Europeans would relish the opportunity as would I if I was in the area.

Cheer up FF, its only a laugh. :D
  • Sad lot of folks you are eh.

Shame they spelt Cuntador's name wrong

I also heard the post ride meal is spanish beef :twisted:
    Focus Cayo Pro
    Cotic Soul custom
    Merida Cross 4
    Planet X Dirty Disco custom cyclocross
    Tern D8 clown bike
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Bit late telling us, FF – the last registration date for a personalised bib, i.e. with one’s name and the name of climb on it, was yesterday!
    What isn’t clear, is that all rides are basically just to the top of each pass, not up, over and down the other side. But I suppose it has to be so for some, if they want to get back to their base unaided and in one piece that day.
    At the top of the passes, the participants get free tea (Esta?), snacks and fruit.

Apparently (this isn't on FF's link), on the Saturday at 13.00 at the top of the Gavia, after feeding and Contador giving the prizes, there will be an official ceremony at the Virgin Mary of Cyclists statue there**. Then later, at Bormio at 18.30, an open party with entertainment, local food and drink.
    And on the Sunday at the top of the Mortirolo, after more prize-giving by Contador, there will be an Alpine lunch at 12.30 and at 13.00 a concert by the Alessandria Classical Orchestra, for which the grandson of 1920s cycling star Costante Girardengo plays.
    (Giradengo won the Giro twice and M-SR 6 times)

I quite like the design of the event jersey (to be found on a sub-link in the FF link)

** I never knew there was such a statue up the Gavia. Anyone got a photo?

There’s a Madonna Chapel dedicated to cyclists near Lake Como, up a small climb often included in the Tour of Lombardy route. It even got the-then Pope's blessing in 1948. Outside the chapel there is a statue of a couple of cyclists and busts of both Coppi and Bartali. Inside there's a small bicycle museum and a painting of the Madonna with the relevant inscription.

Madonna+del+Ghisallo.jpg
  • Walter White
    Walter White Posts: 238
    I'ld rather get booted in the nuts.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    is this bertie's training regime now?
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Dare someone to go to that sportive in a recreation of Lady Gaga's "beef" dress.
    Then fall over in front of him on a descent.
    Etc
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    If I could get there I would love to have gone, probably would have died trying to get up one of the climbs but a pretty good opportunity and free too!

Liking the new avatar Frenchie ;-)
  • frenchfighter
    Thanks for the info Knedlicky

This is the statue:
    6182835065_27cff38a87_b.jpg
    Info here:
    http://www.bormio.info/scoprire_bormio/ ... i-ciclisti
    Unveiled Aug 2009

There is also this statue:
    bg-percorsi-sabato.jpg
    Commenorates The Battle of San Matteo
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,473

Shame they spelt Cuntador's name wrong

I also heard the post ride meal is spanish beef :twisted:

I love a bit of intelligent satire.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,574
    This would have been epic.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I'd like to do it and ride with Contador, he is a quality rider. I'd ride with any pro-rider given the chance. Luckily for us in this sport there is more of an opportunity to do this than say have a kick about with a pro footballer
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    I'd rather do http://www.ridewithbrad.com/ instead - who needs Italian cols when you've got Nick o' Pendle or dirty Bertie instead of Wiggo and the Wigglets? ;)
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • @albertocontador · Sep 17
    Hi everyone,this Saturday I'll enjoy at the http://rhxdue.com climbing mythical Gavia& Mortirolo.Free until Friday.I'm waiting for you!

home-en.png

Lucky people who get to ride a route the same time as the greatest stage racer of his generation.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Ride with Contador? He is 'waiting' for me?

Hard one to resist (apols).

The campest stage racer of his generation never disappoints. Keep it up Bertie (once more apols).
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • d_o_g
    d_o_g Posts: 286
    Lucky people who get to ride a route the same time as the greatest stage racer of his generation.

Why? He's just a bloke.

Can't think why I'd want to ride with anybody that much better than me, unless they were a good mate, you would know you had no chance of keeping up if they were trying.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Steak dinner after ride, not bad for a free day out,
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,473
    D O G wrote:

Why? He's just a bloke.

Can't think why I'd want to ride with anybody that much better than me, unless they were a good mate, you would know you had no chance of keeping up if they were trying.

Just a bloke? Just a bloke? He's a demigod, in fact not just a demigod but the best demigod of his generation! Just a bloke indeed! :x
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    would`nt it be funny if froome and quintana turned up . :lol::lol::lol:
  • d_o_g
    d_o_g Posts: 286
    As an aside, there was a ride with Jens Voight around the New Forest yesterday, I saw the signs with "shut up legs" printed on the arrows when I was out. Had no idea it was happening. His PR team have nothing on the greatest PR team of their generation. :P
  • Anyone up for a ride up the Recta?

http://www.marca.com/2014/09/21/ciclism ... 34253.html

Bertie's certainly providing great entertainment, maybe FF's been right all along.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    Pross wrote:
    D O G wrote:

Why? He's just a bloke.

Just a bloke? Just a bloke? He's a demigod, in fact not just a demigod but the best demigod of his generation! Just a bloke indeed! :x

:shock: :shock: :shock: