Riis bins Mad Olev Tinkov

Comments

• izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Oleg said "drugs" and Riis said "no, we've been caught once already" ?
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    I think that given the comments Tinkov made about Contador after the TDF they had little choice but to part company. Tinkov is a sort of Luis suarez in the peleton he says and does things before first engaging his brain. Wont be missed though will he?
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Good riddance.
    ademort wrote:
    I think that given the comments Tinkov made about Contador after the TDF they had little choice but to part company.
    Tinkov is vile but he’s probably not entirely stupid. I suspect he made those comments after he’d already decided to pull funding.

They were discussing renewing the contract monday.

http://sporten.tv2.dk/2013-07-25-riis-v ... %B8d-noget (not that you'll undestand the interview :) )
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    ThomThom wrote:
    Good riddance.
    ademort wrote:
    I think that given the comments Tinkov made about Contador after the TDF they had little choice but to part company.
    Tinkov is vile but he’s probably not entirely stupid. I suspect he made those comments after he’d already decided to pull funding.

http://sporten.tv2.dk/2013-07-25-riis-v ... %B8d-noget (not that you'll undestand the interview :) )

But who binned who?

Oleg may be as mad as cheese but he was putting up the money. The question is, i suppose, has Riis another option in the wings waiting to take up the slack? If not I suspect it was Oleg that told Bjarne to sling his hook when he refused to change the team and training structure. :D
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Maybe is a bin-bin situation
  • thomthom
    mike6 wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Good riddance.
    ademort wrote:

But who binned who?

Riis binned Tinkov.

They couldn't agree on how things should be runned. That was Riis' main reason. I guess Tinkov wanted more influence. Riis was also asked if the tweets had their part in the split - in which he said they had, but not as the main reason.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    ThomThom wrote:
    mike6 wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Good riddance.
    ademort wrote:

But who binned who?

Riis binned Tinkov.

They couldn't agree on how things should be runned. That was Riis' main reason. I guess Tinkov wanted more influence. Riis was also asked if the tweets had their part in the split - in which he said they had, but not as the main reason.

Aye TT, that's what I read, but its only the Riis side of the story. If he has another sugar daddy in the wings I will go with it. If not, its a risky business dumping a sponsor the way finances are at moment.

Have you got any more info on this story?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Oleg has piped up on Twitter/Facebook
    From 2014 Tinkoff.Credit Systems bank will stop sponsoring Riis Cycling.
    We have decided it for two reasons:
    -Poor sporting merits in 2013 season
    -Our own cycling project
    From January 2014, we will start to build our own cycling team "Tinkoff Credit Systems". This will be BIG project with 5 years commitment.
    Yet, I respect Bjarne Riis as a sport manager, I still disagree with him as a team manager. I wish the best to Bjarne and Riis cycling to find a new sponsor, even in today's challenging economics. And hope we could cooperate in some point of time.
    Thanks for the riders and stuff.
    Ciao!!! )))

Accompanied by this picture:

994228_653368184690708_971075379_n.jpg
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    "Thanks for the riders and stuff"

awesome
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    @8aldwin: Oleg Tinkov to fund his own team - Tinkoff Credit Systems in 2014. 5 years of sponsoring in plans.”
  • thomthom
    @8aldwin: Oleg Tinkov to fund his own team - Tinkoff Credit Systems in 2014. 5 years of sponsoring in plans.”

Just what the sport needs.

Jesus..
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I think I have a new least favourite team in cycing, and they don't even officially exist yet.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Maybe is a bin-bin situation

:D Heavyweight
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Richmond Racer
    trek_dan wrote:
    I think I have a new least favourite team in cycing, and they don't even officially exist yet.

^LIKES :)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Crozza wrote:
    "Thanks for the riders and stuff"

awesome

:lol:

It also looks from your picture that the new cycling team works on a BYO bike principle!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    damn, my Saxo Tinkoff jersey is already out of date and i've only worn it once !
  • thomthom
    I hope they'll return to the blue one they had before TInkoff. That was by far the best looking one in the bunch.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    sherer wrote:
    damn, my Saxo Tinkoff jersey is already out of date and i've only worn it once !

aye but think of the rarity factor. in a few years it will be worth at least, like, £15
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Why does he need to start up a new team? He should just buy Vini Fantini instead. They need the money and they already have the two qualities he is looking for in a team - yellow kit and a willingness to take drugs.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ademort
    I,m sure all the riders will be just climbing over one another to get a contract with Tinkov :wink:
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • alihisgreat
    RichN95 wrote:
    Why does he need to start up a new team? He should just buy Vini Fantini instead. They need the money and they already have the two qualities he is looking for in a team - yellow kit and a willingness to take drugs.

Isn't Riis the one that's a known doper?

I may have missed something but don't see the Tinkoff=doping connection (apart from the fact he sponsored a team run by Riis).
  • thomthom
    RichN95 wrote:

I may have missed something but don't see the Tinkoff=doping connection (apart from the fact he sponsored a team run by Riis).

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/hamilto ... or-cycling
  • Richmond Racer
    RichN95 wrote:

Think of Tinkoff Credit Systems back in the late 00s, whose alumni included Tyler Hamilton. In The Secret Race Hamilton describes how Tinkov did more than turn a blind eye - he quotes him as saying to the riders 'take what you want, just dont get caught'
  • alihisgreat
    :oops:

I've read Hamilton's book too.. should have known that!
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    ThomThom wrote:

Just what the sport needs.

Jesus..

Maybe Brian Cookson should amend point 5 of his 7 point plan for cycling http://road.cc/content/news/88933-brian ... redibility

5 Introduce a Fit and Proper Person test in cycling

“If elected UCI President I will introduce a Fit and Proper Person test in cycling, taking the example from regulations which govern who is fit to be a company director. I want to see the UCI adopt a process by which team managers, team doctors and sports directors are assessed for their suitability to be in a position of authority in the sport.”

5a "This test will also ensure that racist, sexist, libellous (see his tweets re Sky during TdF) and generally vile individuals will not be allowed to own and manage cycling teams, thereby bringing the sport into (further) disrepute"

:wink:

"
  • Richmond Racer
    Quite, rickyrider

And let's not overlook the reference to women cyclists as 'long-legged sluts'
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    Quite, rickyrider

I also missed off homophobic from the list.. in fact you name pretty much anything that is offensive and he will tick that box with a big fat marker pen
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    I suspect the subset of people who are successful both:

a) in banking

b) in modern Russia

encompasses quite an, um, interesting bunch.

Strava is not Zen.
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    Quite, rickyrider

He probably thinks of the male cyclists as short-legged whores
  • ademort
    If Tinkov really said that about women cyclists i,m surprised he,s allowed to continue in the sport.
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura