Speedplay Pedals

VTech
VTech Posts: 4,736
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
Are there a better version to have or are they the same ?
Are these better than other types of pedals ?
Living MY dream.

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Main difference is weight. No, they're not better than other pedals.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • VTech
    Is there a pedal thats better than the rest ?
    I use titanium mavic pedals at the moment but had been told that my foot and knee pain could be due to pedals so for the minimal cost I thought it worth a shot.
    Living MY dream.
  • Grill
    How much float do your cleats currently allow?
  • VTech
    I didnt even realise they were all different.
    I have no idea to be honest.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech
    Just read the box, they are the Race SL TI version and have 7 degree float.
    Living MY dream.
  • Grill
    Honestly 7 degrees should be plenty for pretty much everyone. If you're having trouble you should call Adrian and ask his advice as he did your fit.
  • +1 ask Adrian but Speedplay Zeros are the boll***ks and the Chromoly ones can be got for about £90 or so if you search - if you find you like them then buy yourself the much more expensive but blinger and lighter Stainless Steel or Titanium axle Zeros and then sell me your lightly used near perfect Chromolys cheap for giving you free advice :D

Search for Speedplay Zeros and there have been several posts discussing their virtues before.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    There are three main variants of speedplay. The "proper" speedplays that most people mean when they talk about them are zeros. A lot of *adjustable* float. The Light Action are supposed to be easier to clip in/out of, and the Xs have even more float. LA and X are not adjustable.

P.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    One day all pedals will be made like Speedplay.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Whilst I run Speedplay Zero's and happen to think they are the best pedals on the market at present, i'd suggest Grill's advice and look at your current setup first as i doubt a change of pedals will fix the issue. I had some pains with my own setup both knees and feet) and need 3 degrees of varus wedge under each cleat, and also am very sensitive to the Q-factor meaning moving my shoe in towards the crank by only a couple of mm gives me pain in the outside of my foot.

A set of £20 wedges and a cleat setup could well cure all your pains
  • waterfalll
    waterfalll Posts: 83
    where did you get your shims/wedges from wirral?
  • VTech wrote:

In so far as they are double sided so no looking down at your pedals to clip in yes they are better. Just locate the cleat on the pedal and clip in, no fuss. I'm one of the few in my club that ride speedplays and I'm always the first to be clipped in when leaving the lights.
  • Grill
    VTech wrote:

In so far as they are double sided so no looking down at your pedals to clip in yes they are better. Just locate the cleat on the pedal and clip in, no fuss. I'm one of the few in my club that ride speedplays and I'm always the first to be clipped in when leaving the lights.

comment deleted
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    3 versions:
    Expensive and requires lots of maintenance and don't walk in them...
    Very Expensive and requires lots of maintenance and don't walk in them...
    Very very expensive and requires lots of maintenance and don't walk in them ;-)

Don't worry, you'll get reamed by the cost of spares too - Speedplay won't admit that they use standard industrial bearings and would rather you pay them 10x more.

OK if you've got bad knees, but there are cheaper, more reliable pedals out there
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • VTech
    Monty Dog wrote:
    3 versions:

Don't worry, you'll get reamed by the cost of spares too - Speedplay won't admit that they use standard industrial bearings and would rather you pay them 10x more.

OK if you've got bad knees, but there are cheaper, more reliable pedals out there

Good info but if you know better maybe tell me ? :)
    I can earn more money to pay for better but can't earn new knees ;)
    Living MY dream.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    waterfalll wrote:
    where did you get your shims/wedges from wirral?

Got them from Cyclefit down in London. I have Speedplay specific shoes so needed the 4 hole version. If you run the adaptor to convert 3 bolt shoes then i guess you will also need 4 hole wedges between the adaptor and cleat. I rang them and found the guy very helpful.

http://www.cyclefit.co.uk/cleat-wedges
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    VTech wrote:
    Good info but if you know better maybe tell me ? :)
    I can earn more money to pay for better but can't earn new knees ;)
    No experience of Speedplays but I recently had knee trouble.
    I did a bit of research and concluded that it could be saddle position and as it is a free fix, why not?
    I moved my saddle up 3mm and forward 2mm. Problem gone. :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    One day all pedals will be made like Speedplay.

:lol: yeah right. Let's put all the moving parts on the shoe and then pretend everything is proprietary.

Time RXS would be my choice. Radial and lateral float.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    They require very little maintenance, just grease injecting every so often (it takes less than 5 minutes). Unofficial rebuild kits are available to but yeah the official ones are a rip-off.
    As for walking in them - they're far harder wearing than Look/Shimano/Mavic cleats (although with any clipless pedal system you'd be wise to use cleat covers if walking a lot). The only downside is if you walk across mud/snow as the cleat will get packed-up with it and you won't be able to clip in until it's removed. But general cleat longevity is very good, far far longer than plastic cleats on other systems.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,844
    ^^^ pretty much this

personally i prefer speedplay zero

they allow in/out float to be set independently, and the float is free as opposed to the spring loaded centre-bias float of many others

if this flexibility with float setting is what you need, speedplay zero are the best, if you don't need it then there's not so much in it vs. other pedals

as far as reliability goes, i use them on my commute bike too, thousands of clip in/outs, the rain, the crud, the salt spray, as long as you squirt some grease in a couple of times a year they just keep on going

using the cleat covers is essential off the bike, otherwise on some surfaces they become a world of slippery death
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    3 versions:

You can get cleat covers for them, you know. I have 2 pairs of shoes, both with Speedplay cleats, and the covers to go with them so walking in them is not an issue, provided you buy the covers.

The cleats may also be expensive, but if you do use the covers, they will last a lot longer than plastic cleats from the likes of Look, Shimano etc.
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    Replacement bearings for Speedplay are standard industrial sizes as Monty says and, as such, are easily found online, avoiding the prohibitive cost of buying the Speedplay ones.