New Walton bridge finally open

leeefm
leeefm Posts: 260
edited July 2013 in Commuting chat
I don't know if anyone else goes that way on the commute, but they've finally opened the new bridge over the Thames at Walton. Nice bit of road to go over now, instead of the narrow, bumpy tarmac...
Shand Skinnymalinky
Argon 18 Radon

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Drove over it yesterday on the way to the tip.

I thought they were putting the junction to the marina on the other side and so the slip road curved under the bridge.

It's a nice bridge. Given the queue to cross it on Sunday (when I was also going to the tip) went beyond the Upper Halliford Road roundabout I really hope this doesn't lead to an increase in traffic. Was glad to see they had wax weight 7.5t signs up to stop HGVs from using it.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    I think this will push the bottleneck more towards the lights at the Aston Martin garage now, instead of the queue for people turning right on the bridge itself. The carriageway is a lot wider, so even if there are queues (and at the moment the traffic is fairly light, so no queues) I should be able to scoot through on the bike a lot more safely than on the other bridge.

Don't know what they're going to do with the old bridge(s).
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • asprilla
    They are taking both of the old bridge down over the summer.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • asprilla
    In other Walton based news; plans are out to convert the entire footpath from Walton Bridge to the Excel Centre to shared usage footpath.

I'm sure that's going to win cyclists a lot of fans.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Dougal_bug
    Dougal_bug Posts: 36
    Daft question, but is that the 'towpath' that runs along the river, or the footpath that runs up through the high street. If it's the latter, although wide, is not going to be helpful, it's got to many junctions on it and part of the pathway isn't really truly wide enough to have two people waling side by side let alone have cyclist on it. I remember seeing something splashed across the local guardain about plans being made but had not see the Plans.

As for the queues from Shepperton to Walton, these aren't going to go away in rush hour I don't think, but agree it might make it easier for cyclists to filter.

Read somewhere - I think one of the Walton local what's going on pamphlets that a lot of poeple during the build of the bridge asked why the juntcion on Walton side of bridge down to Weybridge and the mariner was not be set so traffic didn't have to cross over lanes, apparently it was considered in the design phase and as such was not possible to change!
  • asprilla
    It's the latter I'm afraid and it's the north side which isn't that wide once you get beyond the high street.

Here's the proposal: http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/roads-and-tr ... ath#Scheme plans
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3