Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

What do I buy next???

#david2012#david2012 Posts: 275
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
Last October I purchased a giant defy 1 and have progressed nicely :D
Started off around the 20 mile mark, and now up to 40/50 regularly
Completed the dragon ride on it not so long ago so feel I'm getting stronger

I've upgraded the wheels to dura ace c24, ultegra cassette & brakes so Its a nice entry level bike

I'm looking at my next purchase and have £2k approx to spend, I can re-use the c24 wheels, and might Consider something slightly more aggressive as the sportive position of the defy is quite noticeable when out with other riders.

Giant advanced 2 seems the obvious choice but I'd like to try something different :D any recommendations ?? Suggestions??

• Rodders30Rodders30 Posts: 314
    Cannondale super six looks nice. Id buy it just on looks anyway.
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • Trek Domane
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Camcycle1974Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    #david2012 wrote:
    Last October I purchased a giant defy 1 and have progressed nicely :D
    Started off around the 20 mile mark, and now up to 40/50 regularly
    Completed the dragon ride on it not so long ago so feel I'm getting stronger

I've upgraded the wheels to dura ace c24, ultegra cassette & brakes so Its a nice entry level bike

I'm looking at my next purchase and have £2k approx to spend, I can re-use the c24 wheels, and might Consider something slightly more aggressive as the sportive position of the defy is quite noticeable when out with other riders.

Giant advanced 2 seems the obvious choice but I'd like to try something different :D any recommendations ?? Suggestions??

By Advanced 2 I assume you mean the Defy? Not much point as the geometry is the same as the alloy version. The Defy advance 2 is also sold out in this country so doubt you would get hold of one. If you want a more aggressive geometry then go for the TCR. The Defy can be made more racy if you slam the stem for a lower position.

Personally i would look at buying a frameset and either building it yourself or getting you LBS to do it. Considering you have wheels and Ultegra kit already you could get a very decent frame and finishing kit for your budget. My money would be on an N2A or Mondo frame from Planet x.
  • #david2012#david2012 Posts: 275
    Funny enough I dropped the bars tonight just to get a feel for the position.. I found my out of the saddle position much more effective having more weight forwards.

And yes the defy advance 2 was what I had my eye on, but again agree that the geometry looked identical so wasn't convinced it was a smart move.

Interestingly I've considered building myself but LBS put me off that idea!
  • passoutpassout Posts: 4,425
    For 2 k I'd be after a really nice frame (Look etc) and transfer all your parts across, unless you've worn them out...
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.