Fox 36's and RP23 service

DodgeT
DodgeT Posts: 2,255
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Had the enduro for nearly 2 years now and must admit i've not touched the forks or shock, apart from setting them up of course.
Forks are beginning to feel not as plush so reckon its about time they have a service. All looks ok so is it worth giving them a fluid refresh, or should I just drop a seal service kit in them both?

Been looking at these http://www.tftunedshox.com/Catalogue/TF-Tuned-Service-Kits/TF-Tuned-Refresh-Service-Kits, don't seem too bad for the price. 36mm kit and float shock kit, £75 for the 2.

Comments

• ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    they need a good service if they've not been touched for that long tbh. fluids and seals
  • DodgeT
    Just done the forks. Just realised when re-reading the oil volumes, i've had a blonde moment.....

I've put the correct 30ml in the air side lower and the 5ml in the top, but only put 130ml in the o/b damper side instead of the reqd 155ml.

Do I need to be opening them back up and sticking another 25ml in? Guess i'll need another crush washer if I do?
    Or will it be fine until I give them another oil refresh in a few month?

2011 fox 36 float R air by the way.
  • just add the remainder of oil re-use the crush washer, it won't leak. Do it with the bike upside down and you'll not lose any of the fluid in there already
  • DodgeT
    OK ta. Take it i'll need to empty the air, flip her over, then be able to tap just the damper side back to get the extra oil in? Shouldn't have to do anything to the top caps?
  • correct.
  • DodgeT
    Ta again.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    TBH, after two years, I'd send them to TFTuned to get the damper serviced completely. The RC2 damper in mine is an ar*e, which I only entrust to them.
  • TBH, after two years, I'd send them to TFTuned to get the damper serviced completely. The RC2 damper in mine is an ar*e, which I only entrust to them.

Not to mojo who are in charge of all things fox in the uk?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    No, Tftuned. Just out of habit really, they've always been really good to me, and done some sterling work, so I stick with what I know.
  • DodgeT
    Is the RC2 open bath like the basic R or not? I'd like to think that due to being open bath and your changing all of that fluid, that maybe not that much is done to the damper, being as you don't need to change any oil in it? Could be wrong like..

They do feel like new now, but granted, I may well have them "professionally" serviced at some point.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    No, heeeeeeell no! The RC2 is a rather fiddly arrangement of valves, springs, chambers and... well, you get the idea. It's the damping cartridge. With many many parts.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    No, heeeeeeell no! The RC2 is a rather fiddly arrangement of valves, springs, chambers and... well, you get the idea. It's the damping cartridge. With many many parts.

Not that hard to service. Not as simple as RS dampers, but there are only really two bits to undo; one at the compression end and one at the rebound end. Clean and refill with oil.

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consum ... ervice.htm
  • YeehaaMcgee
    DCR00 wrote:

Not that hard to service. Not as simple as RS dampers, but there are only really two bits to undo; one at the compression end and one at the rebound end. Clean and refill with oil.

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consum ... ervice.htm
    Nobody said you couldn't do it.
    I haven't got any kind of suitable vice or clamp to hold them, and I can't be arsed to pi** about with it. Sorry if that causes offence.