2 firsts this morning. 50 miles and clipless moment

ct8282
ct8282 Posts: 414
edited July 2013 in Road general
Hit my first 50 this morning, well pleased with that. Woop woop! The last 10 miles damn near killed me, but I made it. Think we set off quite aggressively as our first 25 miles we averaged 18mph, but by the 50 it was back down at 16mph. The leg back was more hilly and the wind picked up a lot too so this didn't help, but all in all a thoroughly enjoyable session.

And, as a Brucey bonus we stopped at the Whiteways cafe at the top of Bury hill and as I clipped in to cycle away, on a slight incline, I missed my second clip, lost momentum and proceeded to slowly keel over with a crunch on the Tarmac, right in front of about 10 people. Gashed my knee, tore a hole in my lovely Fizik saddle (mega gutted about this), and grazed my lower back, but thankfully the frame came away unscathed.

All in all a successful morning I'd say.

Comments

  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Well done (not the falling off bit, we all have those moments) pity about the damage to your saddle,that won't get better you will.
    You got the main bit right - you thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Cheers
  • ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    diamonddog wrote:
    Well done (not the falling off bit, we all have those moments) pity about the damage to your saddle,that won't get better you will.
    You got the main bit right - you thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Cheers

    Thanks. I think a touch of fabric glue should sort the saddle out. My knee is flipping hurting today when I walk on it. Seems I took a hefty whack when I went down and I've got some goodly swelling and bruising already. Still, it'll mend.
  • dannyharris
    dannyharris Posts: 217
    Well done matey. A good milestone.
    Soon 50 miles will be a breeze.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Well done on the 50, did mine too today.
    Only clipless moment I've had was thankfully in my workshop, had a few close calls though normally when I just stopped and not quite got the timing right to unclip and put my foot down, been a bit of a balancing act.
  • ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    WindyG wrote:
    Well done on the 50, did mine too today.
    Only clipless moment I've had was thankfully in my workshop, had a few close calls though normally when I just stopped and not quite got the timing right to unclip and put my foot down, been a bit of a balancing act.

    Great work buddy. Onwards and upwards then. We're planning a 60 miler next weekend!!
  • ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    Well done matey. A good milestone.
    Soon 50 miles will be a breeze.

    Hoping so. The progression from when I started has been quick, but I've worked hard for it. Only started a couple of months ago but I know things start to plateau eventually and the gains will get harder to achieve. Looking at 60 miles next weekend but haven't decided if that'll be a touch too much just now.
  • dannyharris
    dannyharris Posts: 217
    I've recently hit 125 mile. Only a few months after my 50.
    Just make sure you carb load and be mentally prepared for a big ride. Mentally I think more than dietary.
  • ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    I've recently hit 125 mile. Only a few months after my 50.
    Just make sure you carb load and be mentally prepared for a big ride. Mentally I think more than dietary.

    That's awesome. I think I could have done a better job of keeping fuelled as I really hit the wall at about 40 miles. Gonna stock up on gels this week.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I managed to patch up my saddle after an off. I used some sand paper to smooth out the rough bits, glued down the flappy bits then when it was dry covered the scuffed area in black shoe polish (assuming your saddle is black) and gave it a good buff.

    Not quite as good as new, but you'd never tell how bad it looked beforehand.

    Well done on the ride, it's a big milestone :)
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

    2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

    2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Yeah congrats but take it easy, go at a pace that you can keep up the whole journey rather than exhaust yourself halfway through.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Well done - nice milestone :-)
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    Yeah congrats but take it easy, go at a pace that you can keep up the whole journey rather than exhaust yourself halfway through.

    Yeah I think this is sound advise. I did 45 miles the weekend before averaging a pace of about 16mph the whole way and that felt much easier than the 50. I think I maybe burned out too soon.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    I had a clipless moment at the start of the Haywards Heath sportive in front of half the starting field! We had just had a coffee and were going to dump some gear in the car; I pushed off and was about to click the second foot in when I realised my rear tyre was flat. My little brain went into a bit of a panic about getting it patched up before the start of the event and couldn't also process the fact that I was still clipped in and slowing down. Fell off in front of everyone, and caught the chain ring of the (stranger) next to me. How not to do it...

    There's some lovely roads around Bury; also slightly further NW around Pulborough and Lurgashall.
  • ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    DaveP1 wrote:
    I had a clipless moment at the start of the Haywards Heath sportive in front of half the starting field! We had just had a coffee and were going to dump some gear in the car; I pushed off and was about to click the second foot in when I realised my rear tyre was flat. My little brain went into a bit of a panic about getting it patched up before the start of the event and couldn't also process the fact that I was still clipped in and slowing down. Fell off in front of everyone, and caught the chain ring of the (stranger) next to me. How not to do it...

    There's some lovely roads around Bury; also slightly further NW around Pulborough and Lurgashall.

    Oooh that's savage mate. One of those 'ground please open up and swallow me moments'.

    You're right, the roads around that neck of the woods are very good. We came back through Pulborough and Lurgashall.