What are your favourite pair of bib shorts?

Finlaz22
Finlaz22 Posts: 169
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
Simple question really, what is your go-to brand for bib shorts? Also a little explanation would be cool too, like in regards to comfort, form or design... whatever! :D

Comments

• For long distance it has to be Castelli Aero closely followed by my club shorts (Giordana).
    But I also really like the Raptor bibs that I bought for 20 quid off eBay as they make me look very well endowed :shock:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Finlaz22
    Finlaz22 Posts: 169
    For long distance it has to be Castelli Aero closely followed by my club shorts (Giordana).
    But I also really like the Raptor bibs that I bought for 20 quid off eBay as they make me look very well endowed :shock:

Nice, how did you find the sizings with Castelli? I am kind of pondering getting another pair as my current DHB ones aren't the comfiest for long distance!
  • All of my Bib shorts are size large and they all fit okay 5'11" and 69kgs
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Rodders30
    Rodders30 Posts: 314
    DHBs for me. Price is good and they are comfy. Cant remember the names, aeros and pros or something along that line.
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,851
    castelli body paint, i really like the px2 pad, and the shorts are really light and comfy even on long rides

but different people prefer different pads, there's no one 'best'
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Rapha lightweights for this weather
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • magoo289
    magoo289 Posts: 223
    +1 Castelli Free Aero, sizing in shorts is spot on for me; jerseys I do need to go up 1 size. They are light and have an exceptional pad.
  • themekon
    themekon Posts: 197
    I've got Rapha and castelli. I've been most impressed though by a pair of Zipfit shorts for a fraction of the price. Cool with a brilliant pad.
  • Alexvs
    Alexvs Posts: 52
    My collection so far is: DHB entry level can't remember the name, cheap BMC replica's from Evans (unnamed), Adidas Sky team replica shorts and Castelli Velocissimo Due's.

From all these I'd rate the Castelli's by far the best for fit and comfort as the Kiss3 pad is in another league against the others and I went a size up which was purely personal preference as medium fit too. After these it would be the DHB's followed by the BMC and then Sky bibs. I'll either stick with Castelli going forward or look for others with a similar multi-density pad as having only the right amount of pad where it's needed makes a world of difference. My mate swears by any shorts with Cytech pads as used in his Rapha and cafe du cycliste bibs.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Would have said castelli body paint but the rapha lightweights are my new preferred.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    For the shorts, Castelli Body Paint - unlike any other shorts, they are fantastic. Trouble is, they put them with some dumb strap for the bibs, which spoils them as it folds over and is too thin.

So Free Aero are my best, shorts still better than any other I have tried, apart from the body paints, but with a better bib.
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    Giordana FR-C.
    Really light weight and have a nice leg grip without silicon gripper.
    Pad is great and has variable thickness.
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Got some Castelli Free Aero Race which are very good but i find the Castelli Free Aero Race Kit edition (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-free-a ... t-edition/) more comfy, material is a bit different and the legs seem a touch longer.
    Sizing wise i'm 5ft 8in / 10.5-11st (varies!) and the large are nice and snug.

Tried some DHB Aeron Pro but found the pad wasnt comfy even though the reviews are very positive on Wiggle so sold them.
    Cheers, Stu
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    Pearl Izumi Elite. No leg grippers, just doubled over material. Dont ride up, but comfy and stylish.

Tried the Pro ramge but they came up far too small for my thighs!!
  • Nick_M
    Nick_M Posts: 58
    magoo289 wrote:
    +1 Castelli Free Aero, sizing in shorts is spot on for me; jerseys I do need to go up 1 size. They are light and have an exceptional pad.

+1 again. They're not cheap, but they really are very, very good. Definitely a sweet spot in terms of quality/price ratio. I've just ordered a second pair.