Newbie!

Combat-Wombat
Combat-Wombat Posts: 9
edited July 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi,

After some major roadworks in my area, on a whim I bought an old bike off a colleague for £25 with the intention to ride the 1.9 miles to work

Now as far as I can work out it is a 1998 Specialized Rockhopper Comp FS. It needed new tyres, innertubes and new grips. I bought this from wilikinsons for another £25.

I'm really enjoying riding and want to actually take it off road at the weekends. Is this bike going to stand up to it?
as I understand it, it was a good bike 15 years ago but how does it stack up now? I read reviews on the Manitou Answer Spyder Fork which weren't very good.

So my main question is, could this be upgraded fairly cheaply or should I cut my losses and buy something else?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If everything is in good working order then it will cope offroad just fine, the forks aren't great and I presume you have V (rim) brakes not discs, but they coped just fine, I still take my 1997 Fuji (V-brakes and rigid forks) offroad when the mood takes me.

You could swap the forks for something better, or just ride it and enjoy it and then decide!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    As long as it's in good mechanical order there's nothing about a bike from 1998 which wouldn't be up to the job.
  • Cheers,

Everything else seems ok, in my limited experience. I might just pay the £25 for it to be serviced
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Cheers,

Everything else seems ok, in my limited experience. I might just pay the £25 for it to be serviced

Good idea. You should also check the brake blocks are not too worn. And when you take it to be serviced they may need to fit a new chain.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cheers,

Or learn to DIY leaving you £25 better off.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.