Fast vs comfortable?

kitenski
kitenski Posts: 218
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
I've taken out a Giant Defy Composite 3 and a Focus Evo 6.0 today for test rides.

The Evo felt faster/more sharp but really wasn't as comfortable as the Devy. Given I am currently 46 and not getting any youngerI am leaning towards comfort.

However are there other bikes I should try which may have the feel of the Evo but the comfort of the Defy?

Cheers,

Greg

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    kitenski wrote:
    Given I am currently 46 and not getting any older

:?:
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Real name Mork dating a girl called Mindy.
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    Comfortable = fast
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    Barteos wrote:
    Comfortable = fast

+1
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you're not racing, then you're less likely to really reap the benefit of a more race-oriented bike like the Focus, but after 6 hours in the saddle, you don't want to be yearning for comfort as excessive vibration fatigues you more quickly. However, running wider tyres at a lower pressure will help both in terms of comfort and feel without reducing speed. Likewise, the right saddle, better shorts and good mitts will help with the contact points. A lot depends on your riding ambitions. BTW, you're still a youngster.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    The difference between a slow and fast racing bike, with the same rider position is nothing.
    The difference in comfort, after a long day is something else.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Comfort
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    If you're riding for less than an hour and want to max out the strava segments, get the fast bike.

However most of us will want to do longer rides, so comfort wins every time then.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    kitenski wrote:
    I've taken out a Giant Defy Composite 3 and a Focus Evo 6.0 today for test rides.

The Evo felt faster/more sharp but really wasn't as comfortable as the Devy. Given I am currently 46 and not getting any youngerI am leaning towards comfort.

However are there other bikes I should try which may have the feel of the Evo but the comfort of the Defy?

Cheers,

Greg

Try and think...say you've spent a couple of hours riding both bikes (probably hypothetical), which one would you enjoy most? As others have said, comfort is a big factor. Being on a "fast", stiff bike may be more fun initially but on a longer ride it'll become tiring and you'll really not enjoy it.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Bianchi Infinito. Fantastic all round bike :D
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • zardoz
    zardoz Posts: 251
    I'd second the Trek Domane really comfortable ride especially on longer rides.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    noodleman wrote:
    Bianchi Infinito. Fantastic all round bike :D

Maybe best in its class. Such a smooth riding bike over any road surface. Looks the DB's too.
  • dgstewart
    dgstewart Posts: 252
    I've got both a Specialized Roubaix Comp and a Tarmac Pro. The Roubaix is a bit smoother on rough roads, but if I had to pick only one it would be the Tarmac hands down. Much more responsive and eager, and still very comfortable. I've done multiple 100+ mile rides with no problems at all.
  • richiegwy
    richiegwy Posts: 171
    I have been thinking about this over the last while. I bought a Look 566 which is comfy but I would like something a bit more responsive. So I got to thinking about the likes of Cannondale SuperSix Evo or Specialized Tarmac SL4 or go all out for a venge or something aero and fast.

I mainly do club and solo rides along with sportives. Thinking about doing a bit of racing next year.

While aero bikes like the venge looks amazing I'm thinking the novelty might wear off after a while and I will not enjoy going out as much as I do now.
  • Frank pole
    Frank pole Posts: 112
    Like the man upstairs says saddle that fits decent shorts decent gloves 25mm tyres with lower pressures - that lot will change the ride of any bike