Best brake pads for my Dura Ace 7900s

shinsplint
shinsplint Posts: 565
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi guys,

I think I was recommend Swissstop pads a while ago but can't remember which ones they were. Are any other pads generally recommended as an alternative to Shimano ones?

For aluminium rim.

Thanks.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,166
    Why you need an alternative to the Shimano ones? It's good rubber and cheaper than the swisstop that sell you rubber at the same price as 9 carats gold
    left the forum March 2023
  • shinsplint
    shinsplint Posts: 565
    Why you need an alternative to the Shimano ones? It's good rubber and cheaper than the swisstop that sell you rubber at the same price as 9 carats gold

You can get other, highly regarded pads for less than a tenner a pair. Hardly 9 carat gold prices.

I do a lot of hills and not always confident in the Shimano ones, hence seeking others.
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I fitted some Koolstop dual compund pads last week (replaced stock Campag pads that were very worn). Only one dry ride on them so far but they seem pretty good. Slightly cheaper than Swissstop.

If you want Swisstop then it's probably the green ones that would be best.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Yep - good all round pads are the green swisstops (I use them on alloy rimmed wheels).

Peter
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    If it's for dry weather, the KoolStop black compound is nice and grippy. I assume you won't be intending to ride a DA7900 equipped bike in wet/wintry weather, but if you are, then there's their salmon compound.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,166
    TommyEss wrote:
    If it's for dry weather, the KoolStop black compound is nice and grippy. I assume you won't be intending to ride a DA7900 equipped bike in wet/wintry weather, but if you are, then there's their salmon compound.

I did buy the salmon ones... the shape was so odd that they simply didn't work with my levers, until I squeezed all the way....
    I also bought a pair of black ones, which did brake OK, but the squeeking was so embarrassing that I decided to bin them prematurely... this was on Nemesis rims
    left the forum March 2023
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I did buy the salmon ones... the shape was so odd that they simply didn't work with my levers, until I squeezed all the way....

And here was I thinking it referred to the colour, not the shape :wink:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Swisstop Blue for me - It might be a case of new pads over old but i noticed an improvement over the swisstop green they replaced. Yes they do cost a little more than some others but compared to other quality pads not that much more.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.