Buying Road Bike from China

bennfranciss
bennfranciss Posts: 4
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
Hello, i wonder if anybody could Help me!
I have been looking for a new Road Bike for a while now and come across a Chinese Wholesaler of Road Bikes.
One of the Bikes that was listed was a '2013 Felt AR2' Road Bike. Now as i am aware this road bike retails at around £3500 but this wholesaler sells them for £520! Now obviously i would have to pay import taxes etc. which would bump up the price, but even so, seems a real bargain! The website looks legit, products look good and i can pay using PayPal!
What i would like to know is if i should buy a Road Bike from China! Is this likely to be the real thing, a fake or is it legit? Maybe it is too good to be true, but it seems okay! Should i risk it?

I would be really grateful is someone could advise me? Thank you very much

Comments

• schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Do you really need to ask the question?

Even a generic carbon fibre frame from China on ebay (which from what I've seen are very good) costs around $400 on ebay
  • bennfranciss
    bennfranciss Posts: 4
    edited July 2013
    schweiz wrote:
    Do you really need to ask the question?

Even a generic carbon fibre frame from China on ebay (which from what I've seen are very good) costs around $400 on ebay

The whole bike is $1300 so maybe it weighs out just fine? The other bits aren't going to cost a fortune! Perhaps it's worth taking a punt?
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    No. Absolutely not. Never.

If you decide to buy it anyway (and it actually arrives), I would be willing to ride to your house to see you off on your maiden voyage, if only to scrape your face off the pavement and drive you to A&E.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Okay, thankyou for the advice! But aren't the Road Bikes originally made in China anyway? Thanks
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    The groupset on its own retails for about £850-£1000 say wholesale 30% so maybe £300. That leaves £220 for the frame, wheels and other finishing kit. Sounds like a bargain, buy two
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Okay, thankyou for the advice! But aren't the Road Bikes originally made in China anyway? Thanks

There are a few Chinese fabs that OEM for legit companies. The thing is with the product you're looking at is the carbon isn't remotely the same quality, it's also not laid to any sort of correct spec, has no QC or testing process, and the finishing is dire. There's an epic Chinarello thread on WW where the fork separated on the first ride as it wasn't properly finished and actually packed with newspaper.

All this is assuming you receive the finished product, which you rarely will as it's almost always a scam anyways.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    complete bike import tax 15% add shipping. add the VAT and a handling charge. and a warranty with people who most likely will not be bothered. if the above is not true.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    Obviously its completely bollox otherwise we'd all be buying £3500 bikes for £500 from China.

However, that said, since it's not my money please go ahead and buy the bike. Sounds like a great deal. ONce you've ridden it for a year and survived let me know so I can buy one too. Thanks.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    I think the replies that suggest you'll be getting some sort of cheap and dangerous fake are a bit optimistic. There is no bike. You'll just be £520 worse off with nothing to show for it (except a valuable lesson in internet scams).
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you pay - you'll never see your money again.

Would you like to buy some of my magic beans instead ?
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Can you let me have the link, I'll have a bit of spare cash when my nigerian lottery winnings come through so fancy buying one.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    It pains me to see this stuff...

If it looks to good to be true... :)
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    i'll sell you the exact same bike for £400, just put the money in my account and i'll send you the bike, honest!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes