Another what wheel thread but your here now so might aswell.

Danny87
Danny87 Posts: 121
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
Ok
I'm a new racer (1st season) not a very good one :D I ride crits and road races (going to enter more lumpy races in future due to my.. aherm...physique).

I have 2 bikes winter and summer/race bike. I have Mavic Ksyrium elites on the latter which are fine but maybe coming to the end of there lifespan (rim wear) on the summer bike. I use them for everything. Racing & training. Fancy a change hence this thread :)

I weigh 61kg or 135Ibs or 9 stone 9 pounds although sometimes a bit less :oops:

I live in Lancashire it's hilly...like everywhere..

I am quite open to the idea of tubular wheels.

I want to spend about £300-400. My preference is for a stiff wheel set that if possible is light weight that I can use for racing/decent weather training.

Ok? Ready? Set? Go! Fire away with suggestions and if tubular, maybe offer a decent all round tubular tyre too :wink: maybe Conti somet' or other?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you want carbon tubulars, it's pretty well Planet-X or China unless you fancy diving into the secondhand market.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Danny87
    Your probably right tbh. But thought I might post here to see if I was missing out on some unknown entity :)

Any light decent Aluminium tubular wheels out there, or is that just non existent?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Plenty of handbuilt choices for tubulars e.g. take a visit to Paul Hewitt Cycles in Leyland or contact Ugo Santalucia (Paolo) on this forum. Rim choice is fairly limited - Mavic Reflex, Ambrosio Chrono/Nemesis, Velocity Major Tom or Kinlin TB25.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    or a set of Easton EA70X if you can find any...
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    For your weight I'm thinking that a set of Mavic Reflex laced to either DA or Record hubs will provide you with nice lite wheels that will be very durable and easily repaired. Not to mention their being a bit less expensive than many other items.
    Conti Sprinters are a very nice mid price race tire, but there are more than a few others.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    edited July 2013
    I am building a set of 50mm gigantex tubs rims onto novatec hubs for a customer. pm momday I am supplying the rims bought from a uk distributor I buy alot of kit of so there is more choice than planet x or china but it will blow your budget.

For your bugdet and weight ambrosio chrono's 28H om miche hubs or novatec hubs would work well for a lightweight build .

Mavic reflex are best avoided. Record hubs are possibility too and if you talk to right dealer/builder they can come with a shimano freehub body with no extra charge.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • dennisn

Mavic reflex are best avoided.

Not sure why you would say that about Reflex rims? Unless you don't sell them.
    For this riders weight it would seem that they would be a very desirable and durable rim. I might agree, on passing on them, if he was a heavyweight but can't see any reason to list them as "best avoided" for someone his weight.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Too many cracking issues which may or may not affect this rider. There are track cyclists who kill these in a year or so. Also the ambrosio chrono exists for a light weight tub rim which is simply a better made rim and the nemesis is probably the most robust tub rim on the market.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Danny87
    Thanks for all the advice!
  • dennisn
    Too many cracking issues which may or may not affect this rider. There are track cyclists who kill these in a year or so.

I can understand your point about cracking as this has happened to me, although I'm a much heavier rider. As for track cyclists killing Reflex's in a year or so, I don't doubt that happens either. Tough on wheels that track racing. I'm not sure there are a whole lot of wheels that will stand up, very long, to the thrashing dished out by trackies.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,301
    Tubs are nice, but they can't be your only set... let's say they can be a good set for good days... the cost of buying and repairing tyres make them non viable as an all year round option.

Kinlin TB 25 are probably the raciest among alloy tubular rims... Nemesis probably the best in terms of product quality etc... a bit overkill for someone of your weight, I would consider the TB 25, with a reasonably low spoke count, even down to 24 if appropriately spoked... well within your budget
    left the forum March 2023