Bad experience on the bike today...

Karlos69
Karlos69 Posts: 107
edited July 2013 in Road general
Was 5 miles from the end of a 50 mile ride when I started getting really bad stomach cramps. I have a feeling it was the energy drink I was using.
Anyway it got worse and I then I felt like a bad case of diarrhea was coming on.
Desperately I found a quiet road with a large bush and there I am, bike on the floor, jersey off, bib shorts round my ankles, squat down making gurgling noises. And then the inevitable Range Rover containing a family drives past, all gawping at me.
Had to use the paper bag my flapjack was in as makeshift toilet roll.
Didn't even get to pause Strava.
All in all, not something I want to repeat.
Cannondale Killer V
Trek 6500
Cannondale Bad Boy
LOOK KG176
Giant TCR Composite 1

Comments

• p.ilchard
    p.ilchard Posts: 16
    So you had a cycle ride and a run on the same day!
  • Way too much information!
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I'm sure we've all been there.

One of my life low-points was binge-shitting behind a hedgerow at around 3am in a thunderstorm on a 400km ride a couple of years ago.

Grim - especially for the poor family that had to see you!

Hope you've recovered.
  • zardoz
    zardoz Posts: 251
    Well thank you for sharing that.......
  • Karlos69
    In all seriousness does anyone else get a dodgy stomach with energy drinks. I have been using SIS GO. If this doesn't agree with me are there any other alternatives I should try?
    Then again, might have just been the heat today.
    Cannondale Killer V
    Trek 6500
    Cannondale Bad Boy
    LOOK KG176
    Giant TCR Composite 1
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Karlos69 wrote:
    In all seriousness does anyone else get a dodgy stomach with energy drinks. I have been using SIS GO. If this doesn't agree with me are there any other alternatives I should try?

I have used Viper before but made me feel ill after a while. Not to the point of repainting my bibshorts but really rough.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Karlos69 wrote:
    Was 5 miles from the end of a 50 mile ride when I started getting really bad stomach cramps. I have a feeling it was the energy drink I was using.
    Anyway it got worse and I then I felt like a bad case of diarrhea was coming on.
    Desperately I found a quiet road with a large bush and there I am, bike on the floor, jersey off, bib shorts round my ankles, squat down making gurgling noises. And then the inevitable Range Rover containing a family drives past, all gawping at me.
    Had to use the paper bag my flapjack was in as makeshift toilet roll.
    Didn't even get to pause Strava.
    All in all, not something I want to repeat.

Hope you tied it up in a poly bag and hung it on a fence for the dog walkers to find. :lol:
  • dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    Karlos69 wrote:
    The powerade gels go through me like yoghurt through a dog.......the high5 with caffeine didn't have any unwelcome side effects for me but I like to actually use food on rides where I can help it
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Happens to the best of them. Remember Kelly talking about Greg LeMond had an accident and had to stop and change into a fresh pair of bib shorts 8)
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I have had similar issues with energy drinks in the past so don't use them... Squash instead
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    SIS uses artificial sweeteners which can really mess with the guts. Try Torq, it's all natural.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • jouxplan
    jouxplan Posts: 147
    marcusjb wrote:

One of my life low-points was binge-shitting behind a hedgerow at around 3am in a thunderstorm on a 400km ride a couple of years ago.

What a fantastic combination of words! You just made me spit my coffee out laughing. Love it :D:D
    Trek Project One Series 6 Madone 2010
    Trek Madone 5.9 2006
    Trek Madone 5.2 2004
    Cougar Custom 1995
    Viscount Aerospace 1982
    Some mountain bikes gathering dust
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Grill wrote:
    SIS uses artificial sweeteners which can really mess with the guts. Try Torq, it's all natural.

+1 for Torq. I've tried a few brands over the last 18months and find Torq energy drinks and gels easy on the stomach. They also seem to reach my legs quicker than other brands (high 5, SiS, zipvit).

Mind you I tend to use zero tabs more than energy drinks at the moment. Never had a problem with them.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Karlos69 wrote:

I got really bad stomach cramps on an after work hilly 40 miler a while back. Had a banana at 15:30, left to ride around 17:40, 10 miles in I had a coke, 20 miles in I had a High 5 gel. Basically it was from not eating enough before riding that far. The cramps didn't subside until I had a kebab.

Last time I had to stop for number two I was up a glen, there was no one around but I think the smell woke up every midge in the valley as they all started eating me until I got moving again.

What you had sounds like IBS so it will be a case of ruling different foods out until you find the triggers.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,853
    What a sh1t story (sorry could resist£
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    Just sounds like a case of runners trots, fortunately doesn't happen that often to cyclists.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Karlos69 wrote:

Yep - I get cramps after long use. Its usually 6+ hour rides in hot weather, when you are literally taking on a litre an hour.

Intense exercise causes diarrhea - something to do with the reduction of blood to the intestines and the cement mixer motion on the bowl.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    No cant say anything like that has ever happened to me! I tend not to use any energy drinks upto 50-60 miles but even over that distance the gut did feel a little grumbly but never to the point of runs. If anything mine was totally opposite.

Stick to food rather than artificial sugars.

Oh and waaaaaaaaay too much information.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    Well I suppose that's one way to improve your power to weight ratio.....
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    CkWUjBZ.jpg
    "Guys... wtf???"
  • hatch87
    hatch87 Posts: 352
    I find caffeinated energy/hydration drinks tend not to agree with me. Been close to that situation before, could barely pedal but fortunately it was all down hill till I got home and was only about 1 mile left
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/686217
    Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a bitch! Blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me!
  • TheSmithers
    TheSmithers Posts: 291
    I've just reached the end of my Maximuscle Viper, and quite relieved of it. I don't think it ever agreed with me or gave me any kind of noticeable performance boost. Plus, I'm told it's high caffeine content can cause cramp. Indeed, on a ride in the New Forest earlier in the year, where I used a full strength bottle of this Viper, I suffered terrible bouts of cramp in both calves and quads at the same time. Nearly fell off the bike! Since then, I barely use half of the recommended amount in my water, and although I still occasionally get cramp in my calves, I've never experienced it to that severity since.

I'm going to start using real food and drink from now on. For fluids, just water with sugar and salt added. Maybe substitute the sugar with squash or real fruit juice. What else does the body need? For food, bananas, flapjacks, Soreen, raisins or dried cranberries. Natural whole stuff! Your body will like you for it. :)
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Isnt some of the problem the high carb nature of these drinks? could you try drinking water and taking calories on as food? not quite as handy to carry but if it stops you fertilising the bushes could be worth a shot?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    I've just reached the end of my Maximuscle Viper, and quite relieved of it. I don't think it ever agreed with me or gave me any kind of noticeable performance boost. Plus, I'm told it's high caffeine content can cause cramp. Indeed, on a ride in the New Forest earlier in the year, where I used a full strength bottle of this Viper, I suffered terrible bouts of cramp in both calves and quads at the same time. Nearly fell off the bike! Since then, I barely use half of the recommended amount in my water, and although I still occasionally get cramp in my calves, I've never experienced it to that severity since.

I'm going to start using real food and drink from now on. For fluids, just water with sugar and salt added. Maybe substitute the sugar with squash or real fruit juice. What else does the body need? For food, bananas, flapjacks, Soreen, raisins or dried cranberries. Natural whole stuff! Your body will like you for it. :)

The natural foods you've mentioned are supposed to cause similar problems for runners (possibly just because they are easy to eat while running) and are also what you would eat to sort yourself out naturally if suffering from the opposite problem.

Even the best plumbing systems can misfire sometimes.
  • chris_bass
    frisbee wrote:

The natural foods you've mentioned are supposed to cause similar problems for runners (possibly just because they are easy to eat while running) and are also what you would eat to sort yourself out naturally if suffering from the opposite problem.

runners also have the problem that the running action makes your intestines slap together and this makes everything go a bit, well, runny (i'll take that pun!) and makes the problems much worse, so throw in some food or drink that doesnt agree with you and theres only one outcome.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Chris Bass wrote:
    runners also have the problem that the running action makes your intestines slap together and this makes everything go a bit, well, runny (i'll take that pun!)

I have always considered running generally bad for you. All that jarring of joints and limbs can not be good. Your enlightening comments have done nothing to sway my opinion. Yikes! :shock:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • chris_bass
    smidsy wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    runners also have the problem that the running action makes your intestines slap together and this makes everything go a bit, well, runny (i'll take that pun!)

I have always considered running generally bad for you. All that jarring of joints and limbs can not be good. Your enlightening comments have done nothing to sway my opinion. Yikes! :shock:

yeah, its why marathon runners can sometimes be seen crossing the line covered in their own mess!!

I used to run then injured my knee and decided that there were better things to be doing with my time!
  • Karlos69
    I have to say that using the SIS stuff really does keep the bonk at bay for me.
    As an alternative are there any mineral type supplements that can be added to water or squash?
    For food I swear by Soreen malt loaf for slow energy release.
    Cannondale Killer V
    Trek 6500
    Cannondale Bad Boy
    LOOK KG176
    Giant TCR Composite 1
  • vinnymarsden
    vinnymarsden Posts: 560
    Used to run quite competitively back when my knees werent busted.....once recall a very intense training run in weather like we are having now.......and I distinctly recall getting back home minus one sock!!!!! I tried desperately to hold on, but rather like the "binge-shitting" that is always preceded by the "shit-sweats" and the long white sock seemed very disposable rather than a dock leaf!!!!!
    We have all been there..its the perils of high fatigue excercise..your body isn't really designed for it...but it's great fun so we do it regardless of the consequences......anyway, what's one sock in the big scheme!!!!!! :o:o:o:o:o
  • TheSmithers
    TheSmithers Posts: 291
    frisbee wrote:

Just have a $hit before your ride and you'll be fine.