The dangers of carbon...

2»

Comments

• chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    i read an article in new scientist recently on this very subject. they said to be wary if you jerk the bike around too much the frame can go into a state know as carboner (pronounced car bone err) and can make it very stiff. should it come into contact with any holes in the road in this state it will suddenly and without warning squirt off the road!! be careful out there
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    hatch87 wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:
    I once rode a carbon bike and contracted hepatitis.

No way? I once rode a steel bike and got Crabs. Looks like the best thing to do it to stop riding. Ah well it was fun for a while

Yes - you have to be careful what you ride....... or your bound to catch something eventually!! :shock: :shock:
  • wytco0
    wytco0 Posts: 79
    I have a carbon bike and to be honest its rubbish, its wont go very far and its very slow. I just cant understand it.
    I am also pretty certain that If I let a car run over it, it would break.
  • hangeron
    hangeron Posts: 127
    Barbarossa wrote:
    Had he been riding the bike in the daytime? Schoolboy error - UV degradation!

Yes, just like PVC window frames

As long as you put Suncream on it every sunny ride it's fine though. Factor 20 at least though.

Last few years it hasn't really been an issue in the UK cos recent summers have been so poor, but this July's weather means a shitload of carbon failures by Autumn.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    wytco0 wrote:
    I have a carbon bike and to be honest its rubbish, its wont go very far and its very slow. I just cant understand it.

With all due respect
    Viewing profile - wytco0

Most active topic:Where do I start !!! Very overweight, unfit older man"

P.s I'm just poking fun, I had a read of your thread and you're doing a good job.

btw run most things over in a car and they will break.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
  • ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    Well my mate's mate's uncle's son's sister's dad's mother's niece's mate's cousin had a python and one morning he woke up and it was laying stretched out on the bed next to him. When he asked the vet about this he was told that it was sizing him up as its next meal, coz in the wild this is how they stalk and hunt their prey. Of course their prey are so stupid they don't bother running away when they see a 20ft python approaching.

Oh bollox, wrong forum. Sorry.

Well, it must all be bollox because I was cycling along the other day, holding an average speed of about 45mph on a long flat, into a headwind when a lesser spotted roof weasel jumped out in front of me! I swerved to miss it, went over a pot hole that was about 4ft wide and at least 2ft deep and filled with water (I know because at one point both the bike and I were almost fully submerged) and then slid across the road under a 10 ton articulated lorry which drove straight over the top of me! When I got up and brushed down my road rash I checked the bike over and she was sound. Solid as a rock. Rode her home no problem at all.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    lawrences wrote:
    wytco0 wrote:

With all due respect
    Viewing profile - wytco0

P.s I'm just poking fun, I had a read of your thread and you're doing a good job.

You do realise that wytco0 was being ironic don't you?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • wytco0
    wytco0 Posts: 79
    lawrences wrote:
    wytco0 wrote:
    lawrences wrote:
    With all due respect

Respect Not required :)
    Viewing profile - wytco0

Are you trying to say that my bike wont go far or fast is just down to me be being fat and unfit? and not because the bike is made from that carbon rubbish :D
    lawrences wrote:

btw run most things over in a car and they will break.

You sure? even with a CARBON bike ? :D:D:D

Indeed, and I was also just poking fun ;-)