Leicestershire cyclists - Warning

Avit5
Avit5 Posts: 114
edited September 2013 in Road general
For anyone that cycles around Leicestershire
http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/cycli ... story.html

These idiots need catching quick before someone is seriously injured or killed. Beggars belief the stupidity of some people.

Comments

• jouxplan
    jouxplan Posts: 147
    That is outrageous. I hope they catch them soon. All three incidents are in the same part of Leicestershire (Earl Shilton / Croft area) but hell, that worries me, despite the fact I am up nearer Melton. Thanks for letting us all know.
    Trek Project One Series 6 Madone 2010
    Trek Madone 5.9 2006
    Trek Madone 5.2 2004
    Cougar Custom 1995
    Viscount Aerospace 1982
    Some mountain bikes gathering dust
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    redonkulous.

People are so sh1t sometimes.
  • Oof! Hope the police manage to get that one dealt with in short order.
    Mangeur
  • neilhannam
    neilhannam Posts: 58
    Oxygen thieves whoever is doing this.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Absoulte wan@ers its a sad sad world we all live in at times it really is. Lets hope they get found out.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    3 riders, 1 silver BMW, loads of CCTV/traffic cameras. It's just a matter of time if the Police take it seriously.

Evidence for THIS CASE came from a roadside camera after the event.
    An automatic number plate recognition camera, situated on the M55 above the junction, showed Wrathall using his phone as he approached the sliproad.
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    I hope they are tried with attempted murder when caught.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    The real miracle is that he survived treatment at George Elliot Hospital. Terrible rep in the trade that place.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    "Police say they are looking into the possibility of a link between the three incidents, which all happened in the south-west of the county and involved an old silver BMW."

Err, let me think about that, 3 incidents, 1 silver BMW, same part of the country...errr. Nope, can't see any link there.
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    Thank you for the heads up. Lucky for me I haven't come across them. That's my ride home every day.
    Cnuts. Not alo tof cctv around this area unless you're actually in the middle of Earl Shilton, Barwell, Croft etc.
  • ricey155
    ricey155 Posts: 233
    some people need shooting at birth
  • ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    This makes me fu*king sick. I was out with a mate last weekend coming back to base on a quiet street through a local village, cars parked on one side and no traffic about. We were cruising along at maybe 13mph minding our business, bothering no one. A white van was approaching in front of us, boat loads of room for him to pass but decides to swerve right at us, hand on horn and nearly took us both out. Prick.
    A couple of days later my mate called me to say he was out riding and a car of young lads pulled alongside him at about 25mph and the front passenger did the window down, leaned out and tried to grab his bike!!

These people need putting down!
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    If they get caught they'll get a small fine and a telling off.
  • TOM14S
    TOM14S Posts: 100
    I'd seen this article, I ride through this area a lot. Reading the story actually made me fit my go pro to my bike for the next few weeks.
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 230
    ---
    Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Druidor wrote:

The comments on the daily mail site are, unsuprisingly, atrocious!!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I take in those roads regularly on my routes but luckily not been around when they are. As for catching them, how are you going to prove it? Impossible without beating a confession out of them. Yes it's an old style silver BMW but there will be more than one in and around Leicestershire. You can't prove which one was in the vicinity at the time of each incident. However, it has been so widely publicised that the dickheads have probably gone to ground now and won't be causing any problems for a while. I may invest in a camera looking to the rear though as the roads around Leicestershire are full of dickheads who refuse to give room or try and get as close as they can.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • fatsmoker
    All the news is in a format that requires the ability to read, so may be they haven't read about themselves.

If anyone ever finds where the owner lives, please pass it on.
  • smidsy
    fatsmoker wrote:

And I thought you were just a mild mannered janitor :D
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • StillGoing
    fatsmoker wrote:
    All the news is in a format that requires the ability to read, so may be they haven't read about themselves.

It's also been all over the local news bulletins so there's a fair chance they or someone they know will have seen it or heard it. It'll also no doubt be bragging rights within their tiny world of non-intellects. There is no cctv in the area as these are rural roads with very little if any traffic which is why they are popular routes. Lucy Garner and her sister have been seen on them God forbid these idiots come by them.
  • fatsmoker
    Did I see the culprit tonight? Riding out of Wykin towards Hinckley an M reg (didn't see the whole plate) black BMW 3 series passed me. It had a for sale sign in the back window. The driver actually gave me a wide berth. Perhaps his dad has told him to sell the car cos he's a cnut. More than likely it was just another BMW driver.
    Has this story been in the news lately?
  • StillGoing
    No it's a silver old style model and looks to have had another victim recently in the Hinckley area. Knocked a guy off and unconscious with a good head wound. More this shape.

bmw-3-series-1990-silver-saloon-1-6-316i-2-door-saloon-2e786561ce9e747891961d20c9a13c0d-m2.jpg
  • fatsmoker
    Silver, yes. Should've read the previous posts again
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,382
    Thanks for the heads up - I'm out that way tonight. Will keep my eyes peeled!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    If it's that old then you'd think that it wouldn't take an awful lot of sifting through the DVLA database*... it's not like they're driving around in a ten-a-penny Ford Focus** is it?

* always assuming that the car in question is registered of course...
    ** I own a Ford Focus, before anyone gets offended at me calling their car common... :)
  • StillGoing
    If it's that old then you'd think that it wouldn't take an awful lot of sifting through the DVLA database*... it's not like they're driving around in a ten-a-penny Ford Focus** is it?

* always assuming that the car in question is registered of course...
    ** I own a Ford Focus, before anyone gets offended at me calling their car common... :)

At least you'll be safe around Nanpantan and Polly Botts; i doubt the car could make it up so many hills. :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Absoulte wan@ers its a sad sad world we all live in at times it really is. Lets hope they get found out.

The saddest thing about it is that if caught they will probably not be charged with attempted murder and given the associated sentences.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    It can't be someone too young, assuming he's actually got insurance it won't be cheap. Got an old BMW same shape as the one in the picture above myself, they're called an E30 model. Good ones are scare now as they're around 25 years old so there can't many in your area.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    I ride out that way often - it's quiet around Croft and no CCTV from memory so they might not be caught as quickly as we'd like. Will keep my eyes peeled but usually do anyway as I find there appears to be a growing number nasty drivers out on the roads of Leicestershire.

Have spoken with both Lucy and Grace Garner who both live and train out this way - Grace is especially worried, one push and that could be a golden career ended before it begins. Not good at all.
  • smidsy
    Think I passed all those route on Sunday.

http://app.strava.com/activities/68729084
    Yellow is the new Black.