Pulled the trigger on a set of Gigantex from Wheelsmith

TheSmithers
TheSmithers Posts: 291
edited July 2013 in Road general
As the title says really. Can't wait! :D The only wheels I've ever ridden on and have experience of in my entire cycling career have been my Mavic Aksiums, so I'm hoping these will feel slightly different. At £1,268 they bloody ought to! :lol:

Full spec:
  • Gigantex tubular 23mm wide 50mm deep
  • Chris King R45 Ceramic hubs
  • Sapim CX-Ray Black, Ti skewers and carbon brake pads
  • Pair Schwalbe Ultremo HT tyres fitted (incl new 25mm wide Tufo tape and Continental valve extenders)

These will be summer, fair weather wheels only.

This purchase is a complete and utter extravagance, over the top, unnecessary and way surplus to my needs. But it's how I've always been when buying stuff and I love it! :D

I'll let you all know how I get on with them.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    yep, there's nothing like paying a premium for stuff you don't need....
  • I hope these are going on something descent like a Trek or summat
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • TheSmithers
    If I wanted to pay a premium, I'd have gone out and bought a pair of Zipps. For me, this is actually a very considered and well thought out purchase. :D

But you're right, I totally don't need them :lol: I want them though!
  • TheSmithers
    I hope these are going on something descent like a Trek or summat

My Triban 3. Hell yeah! :twisted:
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Ditch the tape for glue and swap the hubs for Alchemy. :P
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234

Don't bother.

I doubt anyone else can afford such a "mad" purchase.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    As the title says really. Can't wait! :D The only wheels I've ever ridden on and have experience of in my entire cycling career have been my Mavic Aksiums, so I'm hoping these will feel slightly different. At £1,268 they bloody ought to! :lol:

Full spec:
    • Pair Schwalbe Ultremo HT tyres fitted (incl new 25mm wide Tufo tape and Continental valve extenders)

This purchase is a complete and utter extravagance, over the top, unnecessary and way surplus to my needs. But it's how I've always been when buying stuff and I love it! :D

Very nice :D I've thought about a very similar set of whels from Harry: Same 50mm Gigantex rims, CX-Ray spokes but cheaper Ambrosio hubs, think they go for about £600. Can you post a pic so I can drool over them?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • TheSmithers
    styxd wrote:

Don't bother.

I doubt anyone else can afford such a "mad" purchase.

Geez! :/
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    :wink:
  • TheSmithers
    drlodge wrote:

Full spec:

Very nice :D I've thought about a very similar set of whels from Harry: Same 50mm Gigantex rims, CX-Ray spokes but cheaper Ambrosio hubs, think they go for about £600. Can you post a pic so I can drool over them?

I will indeed sir! Only just put the order in today so should take a couple of weeks.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Nice, although I think you're a bit mad if they aren't specifically racing wheels
  • TheSmithers
    I plan on doing TTs with a mate of mine, who is the local champ for his age group. Apart from that, just social/training/club rides and sportives.
  • waterford123
    waterford123 Posts: 172
    you won't like them i'll take em off your hands for 50 quid.

Seriously, a nice set of hoops.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,801
    Imposter wrote:
    yep, there's nothing like paying a premium for stuff you don't need....

:lol:
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I got a set from Derek four seasons ago( a much cheaper build I hasten to add). They have done TT's and RR's, hit all sorts of pot holes and then chucked in the back of the car and after all that time they have never gone out of true or tension. Next set of wheels will be coming from Wheelsmith next winter for my club bike, no question.
  • dread_i1
    dread_i1 Posts: 178
    Let us know how you get on with them, considering getting a pair in the next couple of months.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I have a pair of standard 50mm gigantex tubs with pmp hubs and CX Rays built by Wheelsmith. They are fantastic!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Pictures dammit loll
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • napoleond
    Pictures dammit loll

Mine?
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    no not yours, his. He went for CK hubs, so you know .....
  • napoleond
    Aah, he hasn't got them yet though...

Edit: he also paid 1068 quid more for his than I paid for mine...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    NapoleonD wrote:

Good for you, give yourself a big slap on the back and have another slice of cake...
  • napoleond
    LegendLust wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Good for you, give yourself a big slap on the back and have another slice of cake...

Ta!
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    hang on - what kind of cake?
  • TheSmithers
    edited July 2013
    NapoleonD wrote:

Looking at the price list on Wheelsmith's website, I'm paying an additional £458 for the privilege of ceramic CK hubs, which is sizeable no doubt, but not quite as dramatic as you make it sound. But then didn't you buy yours second hand as well?

Edit: Also included in the cost of my wheels is £100 for a pair of tubs fitted.
  • TheSmithers
    giant man wrote:
    no not yours, his. He went for CK hubs, so you know .....

As soon as they arrive I'll be snapping like a happy snapper! :D
  • napoleond
    NapoleonD wrote:

Looking at the price list on Wheelsmith's website, I'm paying an additional £458 for the privilege of ceramic CK hubs, which is sizeable no doubt, but not quite as dramatic as you make it sound. But then didn't you buy yours second hand as well?

Mine were 2nd hand. With a pair of Conti sprinter tubs on.

Anyhoo, you will have yourself an excellent set if wheels there mate.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • TheSmithers
    NapoleonD wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Mine were 2nd hand. With a pair of Conti sprinter tubs on.

Anyhoo, you will have yourself an excellent set if wheels there mate.

Cheers Nap D! Coming from a man of you knowledge and stature, that means a lot, and really does take away some of the post-purchase guilt! :lol:
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Shimano or Campag freehub? If the latter I'm cycling over to yours to give them a try on my bike ;-)
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • TheSmithers
    drlodge wrote:
    Shimano or Campag freehub? If the latter I'm cycling over to yours to give them a try on my bike ;-)

Shimano I'm afraid.