gps computer advice

karl1081
karl1081 Posts: 62
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
just need some opinions on gps comps , about to order a garmin 800 with hr and cadence bundle but reading mixed reviews about this computer. what would you buy as an alternative. bearing in mind im not to bothered about mapping as i currently ride area,s that i know well ,willing to spend up to £300
your thoughts please

Comments

• NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    There isn't one.
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • kingderham
    kingderham Posts: 206
    Garmin 500
    A mouthfull of mud, i guess ive crashed

Giant xtc se
    Trek 1.2compact
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Have the 800 and couldn't be happier, pushed me to a new level training wise. If you don't need the navigation, then 500 or 510.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    I got the 500 2 weeks ago and it really is awesome. All I'll ever need.
  • smithy05
    smithy05 Posts: 114
    500 if you don't need the mapping.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Get the 800 then you can ride areas that you don't know. Riding the same roads all the time is dull. Plus the Edge 500 is beginning to look quite dated.
    More problems but still living....
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    amaferanga wrote:
    Get the 800 then you can ride areas that you don't know. Riding the same roads all the time is dull. Plus the Edge 500 is beginning to look quite dated.

You don't need an 800 for that. There is navigation on the 500. There are also excellent (and better value) alternatives by Bryton (and other manufacturers) - there is no need to assume Garmin is the only option these days.

Can't see that the 500 is looking dated. Ugly maybe - that fake carbon fibre has always been a bit grim but there isn't much it can't do that you'd actually really need.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rod11
    Rod11 Posts: 293
    If you're looking for something to do GPS, HR, cadence, and don't need the mapping feature, I'd recommend the Bryton 20. I've got it and does everything I need, what's more you can get the bundle for about £125 from Merlin.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Rolf F wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

You don't need an 800 for that. There is navigation on the 500. There are also excellent (and better value) alternatives by Bryton (and other manufacturers) - there is no need to assume Garmin is the only option these days.

Can't see that the 500 is looking dated. Ugly maybe - that fake carbon fibre has always been a bit grim but there isn't much it can't do that you'd actually really need.

I changed to an Edge 800 from a 500 as soon as I needed to use my Garmin to navigate. The old disappearing breadcrumb trail problem made the Edge 500 pretty crap for navigating.
    More problems but still living....