TDF 2013 - Stage 6 *SPOILER* Aix-en-Provence - Montpellier

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Bert and Cuddles might have flashbacks to 4 years ago....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1W5d32NkYU

(2:20 in)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Maybe Bert will put Mick on the front and ask him to do some damage? (like 4 years ago)
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    It'd a good day for it, prior to the first big climbs at le weekend.
  • Ed-tron
    Ed-tron Posts: 165
    jYYrjb6.gif

:P
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Bert and Cuddles might have flashbacks to 4 years ago....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1W5d32NkYU

(2:20 in)

That HTC/Columbia team really was quite special wasn't it, a bunch of seriously strong rouleurs, but all happy to give everything to help one guy win.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    edited July 2013
    andytee87 wrote:
    The grape juice that pours from the trailers full of grapes is fun too, it makes the roads really, really sticky and sickly sweet smelling and it means you come back from a ride smelling like you slept in a vat of wine.

Non Monsieur Gendarme, c'est le jus de raisin sur la route....hiccup....vraiment

WASPS...

WASP Warning. :shock: Sagan if you're reading this WASP warning. :shock:

I hate wasps... :evil:
  • Richmond Racer
    iainf72 wrote:
    Maybe Bert will put Mick on the front and ask him to do some damage? (like 4 years ago)

Well he was the guy who shouted to all the Highroad riders to go to the front and put the foot down

What was it Lance said afterwards in ref to Bert and the others getting caught out? 'It's not rocket science'
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    A few years back I went to Montpellier for the Rugby World cup and saw South Africa tonk the US 64 15. Just so the geologists don't have all the fun, it is also the site of a respected center of public health entomology.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    iainf72 wrote:

Well he was the guy who shouted to all the Highroad riders to go to the front and put the foot down

What was it Lance said afterwards in ref to Bert and the others getting caught out? 'It's not rocket science'

Yeah, but Bert didn't lose the wheel, the cat in front of him did.

If you're a GC guy who's not Sky, but must really want to try something.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Hmmm - difficult to find anything in English on this area

We start at the Triassic above a thick layer of salt deposited by the evaporation of a large sea that covered most of Western Europe (and has a major effect on the Southern North Sea Gas Fields). This basin (Vocontain Basin) was bounded by palaeo-highs resulting from the Hercynian Orogeny that you ll remember from Stage 1.

This is overlain by a widespread carbonate mud deposited during the Jurassic This shallows up into coral limestones (think Bahamas) which form the bulk of the Gorges du Verdun. About this time we start to see the first bits of influence from the Alpine and Pyreneean orogenies. This continued through the Early Cretaceous an eventually formed a wide carbonate platform (Bahamas/Great Barrier Reef)

Toward the end of the Cretaceous we start to see the start of the Africa/Eurasia collision which causes major compression in the Provence region resulting in the Uplift (either one period or several periods) of the Durace Bulge. Subariel erosion and exposure of this results in karstification (yesterday) which also results in the alteration of clay minerals forming the Bauxite which is mined in the area and which infills the Karst Cavities. About this time we start to see the rifting that seperated Corsica and Sardinia from mainland france.

During the Latest Cretaceous we start to see the opening of the Atlantic and a major global sea level rise. This transgression resulted in the formation of isolated "lake" which deposited very widespread limestones and muds (with dinosaur fossils). Interbedded with these are large, sand rich mass movements. These lakes exist into the Tertiaty and the boundary can be distinguished by the disappearance of dinosaur eggs and the appearance of bird and mammal fossils.

During the Tertiary - further uplift associated with continuing orogenies resulted in the formation of lakes dominated by clastic (sand and clay) sedimentation. Deposition is very fault controlled.

During the Neogene (20Ma) we start to see the establishment of the current French coast and the formation of the Rhone Valley relating to the opening of the Gulf of Genoa

several Series of uplifts, sea level rises and falls result in the deposition of several layers of limestones/sandstones etc but nothing major happens

The major sea level rise at the end of the Pliocene results in the creation of the Rhone Estuary whcih subsequently infills and becomes the Delta we see today

Right that's your lot for today...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    edited July 2013
    Double
    - @ddraver
  • Richmond Racer
    According to Mr Ned Boulting, Cav reckons its going to be la Grande Motte all over again

:):):)
  • inkyfingers
    I knew I shouldn't have worn tight jeans today.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    ^That is a great pic Frenchie! :D

He, you should use it to change your avatar ; )
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Live at 12.50
    Only started at 12 and approx finish is 4.15

Every time the road twists, every radio earpiece in the bunch will crackle with 22 directeurs sportifs barking out the same order in unison – “Be in front.” Thomas Voeckler, for one, has regularly blamed such instructions for whipping up the tension in the bunch still further and increasing the chance of crashes.
    Cnews
    Contador is the Greatest
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    Edit .. whoops, pic didn't work!
  • inkyfingers
    That's the exciting thing about echelons, regardless of what DS's say, everybody knows that they need to ride at the front, but as we see time and time again it's not possible for everyone to be there and some are simply not strong enough to be there.

Anyone who has ever raced at any level will have seen it happen, the guy in front of you loses the wheel and bang, it's all over, a gap of a few metres suddenly becomes 100 metres.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Haimar Zubeldia apparently riding with a broken bone in his hand.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Time to see if 190 riders can fit into the first 20 spaces.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Aaaaand they're off! 5kms done and average speed a mere 54kph.
  • DeadCalm
    Maxime Bouet didn't start. Not surprised but gutted nonetheless.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • DeadCalm
    The break is 100% Cofidis. It is a break of one comprising Maté.

Trust Cofidis to get a rider into the break when not a single other rider thinks it is a good idea.
    Team My Man 2022:

• DeadCalm
    French champion Thibaut Pinot checks on his teammate
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/tour-de-fran ... 72032:roll:

Is that a Movistar rider holding Pinot's bike as he attends to his team-mate? Truly a gentleman of the road. Well done, Sir.

DD.
    More interestingly, it'll probably come as something of a surprise to Pinot to discover that he is the French Champion. Arthur Vichot may also be a little confused.
    Team My Man 2022:

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    ^That is a great pic Frenchie! :D

He, you should use it to change your avatar ; )

Keep the cow!
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    RideOnTime wrote:
    I hate wasps... :evil:

Me too. They always fookin' sting me :(
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    ddraver wrote:
    Hmmm - difficult to find anything in English on this area
    ---

Toward the end of the Cretaceous we start to see the start of the Africa/Eurasia collision which causes major compression in the Provence region resulting in the Uplift (either one period or several periods) of the Durace Bulge.

Sounds like a Shimano fan.

See - some is reading this stuff.
  • DeadCalm
    Are they serious? Did they see the finish to the stage yesterday? What is it with all the Sky bigging up of EBH as a sprinter over the last couple of days?

Team Sky ‏@TeamSky 8m
    Do you think Edvald Boasson Hagen will be able to challenge Cav today? Let us know in our live #TDF chat right here - http://po.st/TDFLive
    Team My Man 2022:

• ddraver
    I was wondering Max...
    - @ddraver
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,550
    Just watched Rob Hailes interview with Brian Holm on ES and thought of this.

Brian Holm

tumblr_static_22562d9f48405871a584708541cd8afe-l.jpg

Treebeard

bettiniphoto_0136277_1_full_670.jpg
  • inkyfingers
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Are they serious? Did they see the finish to the stage yesterday? What is it with all the Sky bigging up of EBH as a sprinter over the last couple of days?

Team Sky ‏@TeamSky 8m
    Do you think Edvald Boasson Hagen will be able to challenge Cav today? Let us know in our live #TDF chat right here - http://po.st/TDFLive

Pro cycling team in talking up rider shocker.