TDF 2013 - Stage 6 *SPOILER* Aix-en-Provence - Montpellier

Comments

• Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    I preferred Vino`s thread title.

This one is just too much.

Not good about VDB - do not like the guy at all but he is good for a little entertainment with his attacks.

quite agree, mine had panache :D
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    ATC, this one is for you!
    tumblr_mpbq6uJUvS1qdq6b8o1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    ^That is a great pic Frenchie! :D
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Can we have SPOILER written out in full? Just in case someone misses it...

Re: fine – Mamils imitate their heroes, hence the crap littering the road on every sportive.

Good points Le Commentateur and it ends up being another stick for the anti-cycling lobby to beat us with.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • above_the_cows

Re: fine – Mamils imitate their heroes, hence the crap littering the road on every sportive.

Good points Le Commentateur and it ends up being another stick for the anti-cycling lobby to beat us with.

What the lack of spoiler in the title? Tough crowd :wink: :P
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Tour de jose tweeting that the arse is the best place for cycling sposorship, follwed by the chest

Can't post the Neuwsblad link sorry

(supposed to be a geology t-shirt - but I can't find one readable as an avi)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    Does it say 'Geology Rocks'?
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    edited July 2013

Sorted.

Up until then nothing would spoil anybodys pleasure. Unless of course they wanted to wait until the stage was over to learn "Montpellier has confirmed that they have received offers for known Newcastle and Tottenham target Younes Belhanda." and that the local wine is 'Chateau de la Galiniere'. I suppose though that finding out 'The father of famous French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb, he of Coulomb's Law fame, was an Inspector of the Royal Fields in Montpellier' could ruin your day if you got this between the eyes when they hadn't even got out of Ain-en-Provence. :D
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    This is a good one ddraver.

(by the way, I gave in and refollowed you on twitter after your uncalled for slur on my culinary abilities).
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Yellow Peril
    RideOnTime wrote:

Sorted.

Up until then nothing would spoil anybodys pleasure. Unless of course they wanted to wait until the stage was over to learn "Montpellier has confirmed that they have received offers for known Newcastle and Tottenham target Younes Belhanda." and that the local wine is 'Chateau de la Galiniere'. I suppose though that finding out 'The father of famous French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb, he of Coulomb's Law fame, was an Inspector of the Royal Fields in Montpellier' could ruin your day if you got this between the eyes when they hadn't even got out of Ain-en-Provence.

It's a tough audience on Spoiler threads ROT. :wink:
    @JaunePeril

• inkyfingers
    Or if you want it to look like an actual T Shirt, try this...
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    It looks like all the dentists left Poland as well as the plumbers
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RideOnTime
    RichN95 wrote:
    It looks like all the dentists left Poland as well as the plumbers

Have they got trapped in the luggage rack?

again.
  • Yellow Peril
    Makee that snap of Kwiatowski black and white and you could probably pass it off as a young Maertens.
    @JaunePeril

• ddraver
    This is a good one ddraver.

(by the way, I gave in and refollowed you on twitter after your uncalled for slur on my culinary abilities).

Ahhhhhh so youre that guy.... I'm finally filling in some blanks :oops:

I admire your dedication to the cause! ;)
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    TdJ tweeting that they removed 85cc of fluid from JvdB's Knee this morning.... :-S
    - @ddraver
  • hangeron
    hangeron Posts: 127
    trying to make him lighter?

surely they should wait till the mountainss before they try that
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    Littering by cyclists is quite a big topic in France, especially for cyclosportives that pass through the protected "Natura2000" areas.

Topically, there's a local cycling club in Montpellier called SudVelo that have a strong "Ne Jetez Plus/No Littering" message:
    10-8.png

maillot2012-1.jpg

http://www.nejetezplus.com/

Montpellier also boasts the oldest university in the world, lots of sunshine, no Roman heritage, loads of tourists in the summer and a seemingly equal number of students for the rest of the year.

The Languedoc-Roussillon region (of which Montpellier is the capital) is the single biggest wine-producing region in the world. However, historically a great deal of the production has been low-quality wine intended for the army. This has changed recently, especially in the Hérault where the latest generation of vignerons have been focusing on quality.

The best-known wines from near Montpellier are probably from the Pic St Loup appellation (actually I'm not sure if this is a sub-appellation). Pic St Loup is the mountain 20km north of Montpellier that dominates the area: facing it is another mountain called Hortus and the valley between them is a perfect environment for vineyards. The Tour went through this valley during stage 13 last year, but there doesn't appear to be much footage on YouTube (I suspect that the TV coverage was heavily edited due to a large amount of anti-Sanofi graffiti on the roads):
    loup3.jpg

There is also Mas de Daumas Gassac from Aniane, further west. Regarded as being one of, if not the, best wines of the region, despite it having the appellation "Vin de Pays de l'Hérault" rather than an AOC label due to their choice to use different types of vine to those required to be classed as AOC.
    220px-Mas_de_Daumas_Gassac_2005.jpg
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    ddraver wrote:
    TdJ tweeting that they removed 85cc of fluid from JvdB's Knee this morning.... :-S
    I hope they're not planning to put it back in later...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    TimB34 wrote:
    There is also Mas de Daumas Gassac from Aniane, further west. Regarded as being one of, if not the, best wines of the region,
    220px-Mas_de_Daumas_Gassac_2005.jpg

Reading about that stuff last week - was staying further east, in the Cevennes - any idea how much a bottle from a reasonable recent year would cost?
    I think if we're going to drink the appropriate Belgian beers throughout the Classics, we need to be quaffing regional French wine during the Tour.
    Fall in love with a new part of France every time I go - amazing country.
  • TimB34
    It's not outrageously expensive compared to some of the Grand Cru wines, I think that it usually costs between 30€-40€ a bottle for recent years. I seem to remember that the 2006 is supposed to be good, but I'm rahter out of date so that could be completely wrong...

Not much in the way of wine in the Cevennes that I know of, but I hope you at least tried Liqueur de châtaigne or some other chestnut-based speciality!
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Let's play Crosswind.
  • inkyfingers
    Need a couple of teams to work together to break things up on a day like this, unlikely, but a Sky/OPQS deal might be fun.
  • RideOnTime
    TimB34 wrote:
    It's not outrageously expensive compared to some of the Grand Cru wines, I think that it usually costs between 30€-40€ a bottle for recent years. I seem to remember that the 2006 is supposed to be good, but I'm rahter out of date so that could be completely wrong...

Not much in the way of wine in the Cevennes that I know of, but I hope you at least tried Liqueur de châtaigne or some other chestnut-based speciality!

Liqueur de châtaigne - not that old chestnut.
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    French champion Thibaut Pinot checks on his teammate
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/tour-de-fran ... 72032:roll:

Is that a Movistar rider holding Pinot's bike as he attends to his team-mate? Truly a gentleman of the road. Well done, Sir.

DD.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited July 2013
    Mistral picking up – crosswinds bound to be creating echelons. Could be a hard day, potentially disastrous for any GCer caught the wrong side of a split.
  • above_the_cows
    Didn't the local vignerons in Languedoc-Roussillon disrupt the Tour one year over attempts by the central government to place quality controls on their wine production or am I just making that up? It may not have been in the Department of Hérault, I think it was further south in Aude.

Interestingly in the Aude a lot of the wine is produced by local co-operatives. Families still own vines and many of the grapes are still harvested by hand, with families re-uniting and three or four generations out picking grapes in September. Alternatively you can hire a grape-picker from the local co-op but it is quite pricey, but it does all mean you see Parisian looking solicitors or some such playing at being farmers. The grape juice that pours from the trailers full of grapes is fun too, it makes the roads really, really sticky and sickly sweet smelling and it means you come back from a ride smelling like you slept in a vat of wine.

Mechanical_Grape_Harvester2_zpsc662bbd3.jpg

:D
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Mistral picking up – crosswinds bound to be creating echelons. Could be a hard day, potentially disastrous for any GCer caught the wrong side of a split.

Sometimes it pays to be old and wise and not young and strong. Oh no I didn't! :wink:
  • TimB34
    I love the characteristic sound of bike tyres on grape-sticky tarmac.

Hasn't the stage started yet, or did all the bikes get nicked in Marseille last night?
  • andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 406
    The grape juice that pours from the trailers full of grapes is fun too, it makes the roads really, really sticky and sickly sweet smelling and it means you come back from a ride smelling like you slept in a vat of wine.

Non Monsieur Gendarme, c'est le jus de raisin sur la route....hiccup....vraiment