Road bike / cross bike / mtb

Crispyapp
Crispyapp Posts: 344
edited July 2013 in Road general
I'm going to be entering the lakes monster miles loop which is a new style of sportive that's both on and off road, essentially a cross event. The event discipline I will enter is 100km. My favoured choice of bike to do this event is a cross bike...... The problem I've got is I don't own a cross bike but I have both a hard tail mtb and alloy winter bike with carbon fork. I was thinking 66 mile on a mtb would be pretty hard work I think, so what I wanted to know is would it be crazy to buy a pair of cross tyres for the winter bike remove the guards and use that?
i understand there could be issues with clearance etc but I've got a kinesis t2 and they have pretty good clearance already. Has anyone ever done this, how was it and do you think it would work for this event?

Thanks
Look 595 ultra - F+F for sale.....
Cervelo r5
Kinesis T2 2013 winter bike
Merida Carbon 1500 flx MTB

Comments

• scoobaru11
    scoobaru11 Posts: 30
    I spent the last year using a Trek hard tail for my roadwork. I put Dart 3 front shocks on and I did switch to Land Cruiser tyres and slime tubes.
    Overall it was a great little bike which was more than capable of mixing it up :-)
    I've only just bought a Road bike and sold the Trek. First bike Ive been gutted to see go.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    buy XC race tyres for the MTB pump them up a bit harder and it will be fine. I'm doing 100 miles, 13k ft climb at the end of the month on my full suss. MTBs are not as slow as you think, if you set them up right.
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    +1 for the MTB
    a mate of mine did Ventoux, last month on an
    Old Orange Evo with slicks on!!!
    He got a few funny looks, as he was passing
    Roadies on 4k dream machines, but then
    he is a bit special (in a good way!) :wink:
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • I guess it depends how off road the off road bits actually are, especially given the variability of our lovely weather. My gut reaction would be to do what DIY's suggested as at least that way you're on something you know is going to cope if the off road bits really mean it.
    Mangeur
  • Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    I'm in the same boat as you. I'm going to do it in my (cheap, ex grizedale hire) mtb. From the route description and video on the event website, it looks like the off road bits are generally not that 'technical'. Physically demanding but not full of drop offs or obstacles. Fair bit of fire roads & first tracks. I might have a look at some faster rolling tyres.
    I've experienced a couple of events organised by rather be cycling (Jennings rivers ride last year & family launch ride for this year's rivers ride) and they've both been excellent.
    Quite looking forward to it.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Sounds like the cross bike would be perfect - but as you dont have one....

I'd go for the MTB with slicker tyres. As has been said - I don't think its that technical.
  • diy
    I did the off-road L2B last year - a very pleasant/easy 75 miles, plus the ride to and from the start/finish. Its mostly canal path, tarmac, green lanes and old railway lines. The ideal bike would be a cyclocross. But there were a few bits which your avg crosser couldn't handle. Obviously experienced crossers would have been fine. Overall I would say they had a good advantage on the smooth stuff, about evens on the gravel and were hopeless on the trail bits.

On last year's south downs way 100 there were a few crossers with some pretty aggressive tyres - personally I'd say once you aggress up a crosser to cope with mud much of the road capability is lost. Also with long rides, suspension helps to reduce fatigue.
  • Crispyapp
    diy wrote:
    buy XC race tyres for the MTB pump them up a bit harder and it will be fine. I'm doing 100 miles, 13k ft climb at the end of the month on my full suss. MTBs are not as slow as you think, if you set them up right.

Thanks I got to say I did think of this as well but didn't know how quick it would be. Do you not think the riding position will feel odd tho. I'm used to road miles and set up and not a mtb. If I'm honest I hardly ever ride it.... A mate of mine said my mtb will be a lot lighter than my winter bike as well......making it easier to ride.
    Cervelo r5
  • Crispyapp
    I guess it depends how off road the off road bits actually are, especially given the variability of our lovely weather. My gut reaction would be to do what DIY's suggested as at least that way you're on something you know is going to cope if the off road bits really mean it.

From what I gather the off road isn't technical in any way, think along the lines of fire roads but maybe slightly rougher in places.... And from the video it doesn't look too challenging either.
    Cervelo r5
  • Crispyapp
    Guanajuato wrote:
    I'm in the same boat as you. I'm going to do it in my (cheap, ex grizedale hire) mtb. From the route description and video on the event website, it looks like the off road bits are generally not that 'technical'. Physically demanding but not full of drop offs or obstacles. Fair bit of fire roads & first tracks. I might have a look at some faster rolling tyres.
    I've experienced a couple of events organised by rather be cycling (Jennings rivers ride last year & family launch ride for this year's rivers ride) and they've both been excellent.
    Quite looking forward to it.

Good to hear, thanks for your reply. Are you doing it alone or with others?

Thanks everyone for your replies, it would seem my best option is slimmer tyres on the mtb. Unless I can get hold of a cross bike last min (borrowed) then this will be my choice...
    Cervelo r5
  • diy
    Not necessarily slimmer, just smoother. I run 2.0 on my MTB for XC which is as narrow as the AM (stans Flow) rims will take. Most MTBs will go narrower. e.g. a 1.5 or a 1.8

I run Specialized Fast-trak sworks, but there is also a renagade with less tread.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec034187
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec028232

Both are very light tyres. As a comparison I would say my Full Sus with XC tyres is 20-25% slower than my 23mm race bike on tarmac based on my hill climb times, which IMO is where you really notice the weight on tarmac.

I can still cruise at 15-18mph on the mtb with out much effort. vs 22-25 on the road bike (flat tarmac)
  • Crispyapp
    I'd have to agree there. And then when you hit the trails having a carbon HT with travel at the front will come into its own. What u probably loose on the Tarmac I'm sure you could make up on the trails?
    Cervelo r5