Overtaking! The unnecessary politics!

2»

Comments

• Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Neil_aky wrote:
    Just watched Chris Boardman tonight on the TDF coverage explaining how someone drafting you gives you some benefit. Once this information gets out there it may become more acceptable to draft someone i.e. you are 'helping' them!

I know this is a thread on overtaking, but on Saturday for the first time ever I had a complete stranger drafting me, and I had absolutely no idea he was there! :shock: Very dangerous if you don't bother to announce your arrival :evil:
    I was meeting my mate in darkest Cheshire and was pelting along (for me, not him obviously) at my limit, as I was late, and luckily turned around to look for cars before stopping when I saw this c**t sat about 3 inches behind me. Jumped out of my skin! If I had just put the brakes on he would have had us both off. Tw*t :evil:
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    Before joining this forum, catching and overtaking someone (or more commonly being overtaken) was just something that happened, now it worries me constantly. See someone x number of yards in front and it sets of a stream of thoughts about etiquette, should I shouldn't I? How to? It drains me mentally for the rest fo the day. :cry:
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Danowat
    Politics?, in overtaking?, blimey, people take things WAY too seriously!!!
    Phil Fouracre
    I know what the answer is!! GET A BL00DY LIFE!!!!!!

Exactly right.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I was doing a climb on Sunday and someone overtook me. It was singularly unimportant to me and my ride.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    On my way home last night I was doing this climb and up ahead there was this rider ... on a blummin mountainbike of all things ... anyway - wtf did he think he was doing?! spoiled my ride completely as I had to slow up to consider my options ... in the end I had to go past him, wait long enough to explain the politics of overtaking and make him understand that drafting wasn't going to be allowed this time then I got to carry on ... diabolical ... why couldn't the idiot have waited till I'd finished my ride before going out? How inconsiderate ... :(
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Someone once had the temerity to overtake me once, many moons ago. You have to understand that I had been cycling for 24 hours all uphill or it would never have happened. :roll:
    Anyway, I resolved that it would never happen again..........

I gave up cycliing.

That is the only way to avoid being overtaken, children.
    Or carry a stick to thrust through the so b@stard's spokes as he tries to get by. :twisted:
  • suddons
    suddons Posts: 67
    Never understood why people get so upset about giving some one a little tow, I quite like the feeling, at the end of the day your working harder, there for getting more from it in the long run.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    suddons wrote:
    Never understood why people get so upset about giving some one a little tow, I quite like the feeling, at the end of the day your working harder, there for getting more from it in the long run.

Yeah, when I'm driving home from work I like to get as close as possible to the vehicle in front as it reduces my fuel consumption. Pretty sure they don't mind one bit :wink:
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    suddons wrote:

Yeah, when I'm driving home from work I like to get as close as possible to the vehicle in front as it reduces my fuel consumption. Pretty sure they don't mind one bit :wink:

Especially when they have absolutely no idea that you're there :D
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Pituophis wrote:
    suddons wrote:

Especially when they have absolutely no idea that you're there :D

Aaah, but in a car you can avoid that by flashing your headlights at them, beeping your horn, waving your fists at them, shouting, including obscenities (even though there's no way they'll hear you) and weaving from side to side to ensure they can see you in BOTH wing mirrors. After that, they'll know you're there and be absolutely fine about it! :wink:

As fatsmoker said, I never gave overtaking or (more commonly) being overtaken a second thought until reading threads about it on this forum. If someone is going faster than me, by all means go past, if I'm going faster than you, then i'm coming past! Sure I sometimes mutter obscenities to overtakers after they've passed - but that's just jealousy cos they're quicker than me. And only other ones who get verbal are those going the opposite way who fly past me downhill when I'm dying climbing the hill in the opposite direction - again, just jealousy though!
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • Slowbike wrote:
    On my way home last night I was doing this climb and up ahead there was this rider ... on a blummin mountainbike of all things ... anyway - wtf did he think he was doing?! spoiled my ride completely as I had to slow up to consider my options ... in the end I had to go past him, wait long enough to explain the politics of overtaking and make him understand that drafting wasn't going to be allowed this time then I got to carry on ... diabolical ... why couldn't the idiot have waited till I'd finished my ride before going out? How inconsiderate ... :(

I had fun when I overtook a couple of roadies on my MTB a couple of years ago, they slotted in behind me and drafted for 1/2 mile, then eventually uppped the pace to overtake me, saying it was "just too embarrassing". All very good natured.
  • 3b4bikes
    3b4bikes Posts: 40
    Think I must be missing something here.

Why would anyone care whether someone else overtakes, is overtaken, drafts or gives a bit of a tow on a casual or training ride?...unless of course I am out with mates when these things can take on another dimension :lol:

If I am out on my own I generally enjoy the company if I end up riding with others for a bit and couldn't give a toss who's in front or who's doing the overtaking.

Perhaps if you ditch the over-analysing you might find you enjoy the ride a bit more?
  • bomb_d
    bomb_d Posts: 39
    i am also new to road riding and dont even average as much as most i have seen on here but i do know if you want to get quicker then the best way to do that is by trying to chase someone quicker than you..... on the numerous occasions i get over taken i try to chase the person that did it and at least compliment them on their efforts at the next junction or set of lights.

if you ask me i would be a lot happier if i had more people on my normal routes to chase and be chased by!
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    I don't see what's the problem. Just keep your pace and if someone you overtake picks up the pace to match you, just carry on as you would normally.

There is no requirement to smoke people. There is also no reason to get upset. If they decide to pick up pace and latch on your tail, given them a ride as it's not making you any harder. If they decide to overtake, keep the pace you want to keep and let them pass.

There are lots of people who do internal training, There are also lots of people who daydream on their rides, and then get woken up by someone passing so remember they were supposed to be making an effort. There could be a lot of other reasons why you might keep passing people and they keep passing you..

Regardless, unless you have a number on your back, enjoy your ride as it's not a race.
    Simon