Is my carrier rack illegal?

2»

Comments

• southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Just putting a number plate on the bike would not comply with the regulations even if the rear lights were visible, as the number plate must be able to be lit.

If you want to stick to the law, then you will need a full light bar and number plate, connected to the electrics.
    Probably cheaper to buy roof bars and put the bike up top.
  • polska1979
    polska1979 Posts: 152
    I got pulled off the police on the way to my first crit for having my bike like this.

Put me right off my game, finished last
  • houston26
    houston26 Posts: 115
    It's a 30 quid fine (13 year ago when I got one) so I say just stick a plate on and drive it.

I drove 150 mile last year with the same rack and had no bother from police, only difference being my plate is in the bumper so bikes didnt cover it, but the tail lights still shone through the bikes just fine
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Just putting a number plate on the bike would not comply with the regulations even if the rear lights were visible, as the number plate must be able to be lit..

Only at night
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989 ... on/24/made
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    lawrences wrote:
    How many cars do you see with rear slung bikes and a trailer board?

1 in a 100 maybe at most.

it's just not necessary, maybe an extra number plate but a trailer board is ridiculous.

:roll:

Love how we can pick and choose which laws we adhere too, just because we think they aren't necessary

I also love it when people talk about things like tailboards being expensive, when people spunk thousands and thousands on bikes and kit.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    danowat wrote:
    lawrences wrote:
    How many cars do you see with rear slung bikes and a trailer board?

1 in a 100 maybe at most.

it's just not necessary, maybe an extra number plate but a trailer board is ridiculous.

:roll:

Love how we can pick and choose which laws we adhere too, just because we think they aren't necessary

I also love it when people talk about things like tailboards being expensive, when people spunk thousands and thousands on bikes and kit.

agreed - how many hundreds of threads appear here about cars and drivers not adhering to the rules of the road and then as soon as its bike related its OK to ignore it in many peoples minds,,, :roll: :roll:
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Navrig wrote:
    You need a proper tailboard to be legitimate. With your current setup you could be stopped and fined. It doesn't happen often but it does.

This. I've seen police in Devon in particular regularly pull drivers over for racks like that. Also, would you really be happy driving with your pride and joy on the back like that and the driver behind not having a clear view of your brake lights and indicators? I doubt you want someone going into the back of you at a junction and I suspect your insurance company would use it as a reason not to pay up.

You can usually adjust the angle of a rack so that it is clear of the lights and plate.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I hate those hanging racks now. I've relegated mine to hanging the bikes in the garage. Instead I use a towbar mounted rack with integrated number plate & lighting board ...
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    My preference when I need a carrier is the towbar rack, but I only class that as worthwhile if I have more than one bike as it's more messing. No carrier needed (single bike, no more than two people in the car) is bike in the boot, single bike & family is roof carrier.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • diy
    Roof carriers are a little less tempting for a tea leaf walking by - particularly on top of a large 4x4. But then you have to remember when going under barriers etc.

I personally would have preferred a tow ball carrier, but I was looking at over £600 by the time I'd paid for the hook to be fitted. The exhausts are funny on my XC90 as it has 4 (well 2 in to 2) and the mount is rather pricey.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    team47b wrote:
    get a duplicate number plate and remove the wheels to expose your lights is the cheapest option :D

Surely an internet forum isn't the place to be offering sensible advice like that?? :roll: :roll:
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • wod1
    wod1 Posts: 61
    Im an considering the Aldi one £20. Trailer board is no issue as I have full lights and number plate kit due to towing boats with the towbar and electic point in place. No issues about just putting the light board onto keep legal. Just wonder if I am still better to get a roof rack or towbar mounted. Only would be used a few journeys longer than an hour.
  • slowbike
    Roof cons: height to lift the bikes up, restrictions on carpark/ferry/other entrances, reduced mpg, slightly more exposure to wind/weather

Tailgate strap-on cons: have to remove to lift the boot, (most are) reliant on small metal hooks & straps - can chip the paint on the car, probably need to have electrics & lighting board, slightly more exposed to the opportunist thief

Towbar cons: Need to have towbar & lighting, slightly more exposed to the opportunist thief but can lock mount to towbar.

I have towbars fitted & a towbar mount ... higher setup cost, but I'm happier with the bikes where I can see them and still get into the boot if I need too.
  • Wunnunda
    Wunnunda Posts: 214
    The thing that worries me about the tail-gate racks (and I used to have one) is that so much of the rear of a modern car is not only shiny and scratchable, but is made of some kind of plastic. I got to the point, on the third car on which I used my old rack, where I really wasn't convinced that what I was clipping on to was truly safe.

I've used towbar rack ever since and not regretted it. As long as you watch the weight they are brilliant.
  • cattytown
    @slowbike - in comparing don't forget towbar and rear mount can both restrict rear view and make parking difficult because of extra length.

All about picking the right solution for you.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
  • slowbike
    cattytown wrote:
    @slowbike - in comparing don't forget towbar and rear mount can both restrict rear view and make parking difficult because of extra length.

All about picking the right solution for you.

Paul.

Ah - true ... and yes - it's always picking the right solution - like just about everything in life, there's always more than one way and noone has a monopoly on all the best ways! :)
  • cattytown
    I think I mentioned earlier, I have three different options I move between according to need. My preference when practical is to drop the back seats and put the bike in the boot. It's safer for the bike, protected from the weather, not in the way of vision, no need for trailer boards or care entering car parks. I just can't take the whole family ;-)

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
  • diy
    I would say tow bar mount is best if you need/use a tow bar any way. MPG on a roof mount is not as clear cut as you think. It makes hardly any difference on my XC90 and none on the defender (though they lay flat on this). With big heavy cars that don't go very quick its negligible. Obviously if you have small high mpg car and want to drive at 80 then it will be noticeable.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    diy wrote:
    Just putting a number plate on the bike would not comply with the regulations even if the rear lights were visible, as the number plate must be able to be lit..

Only at night
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989 ... on/24/made

That refers to the use of the lights, not with the fitting of the lights.
    Regulation 23 outlines the fact that the light should be fitted and in good working order.
  • Barbarossa
    Barbarossa Posts: 248
    I came very close to rear-ending someone carrying bikes like that because I didn't see their indicator or brake lights. Don't know where the liability would have lain if I had hit them.
  • Frank Wilson
    Frank Wilson Posts: 930
    polska1979 wrote:
    I got pulled off the police on the way to my first crit for having my bike like this.

Put me right off my game, finished last

Must be very friendly police where you live, I've never had any sexual favours from a policeman / woman.