'Punishment Passing'

2»

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Your brother in law sounds a right wonker .... My local cop shop has a cyclist on the books who I am often being mistaken for from the rear... She is a lady!
  • soslow
    soslow Posts: 46
    I think you just have to accept that there stnuc in all walks of life and deal with it. + we all make mistakes, I drive over 3000 miles a month and get things wrong some times, usually because am tired and make bad decisions. Same on bike.
    When on narrow roads I try to let people through, when I am in control of the situation a close pass can be safe.
    Take control of the situation if you can, every now and again you will have to deal with bad driving, be it on a bike or in a car , truck, or bus
  • griffsters
    griffsters Posts: 490
    Mindermast wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:
    So am I to understand that punishment passing is retribution by motorists for some perceived wrongdoing by cyclists?

Yes, and the "wrongdoing" is being on the road at all.

This. And the drivers that do it will be selfish idiots out of their cars as well, its frustrating but there are some people who are simply beyond educating or reasoning with. It makes me sad but that is the reality.
  • Rodders30
    Rodders30 Posts: 314
    Thats a shocking statement for anyone, let alone a cop. Deserves to be sacked.

Yes everyone makes mistakes. But to think being held up in a car for a few seconds by a cyclist, then punish them passing. Just say you knock them off. They die. Your screwed. I dont get it, its just a few moments to wait?
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    Peat wrote:
    My brother in law in a policeman. He likes to "try and pass cyclists without crossing the central line. Sh1ts them right up! haha!"

That's an actual quote.

he also came up with the gem "To be honest, if you ride a bike on the road, you deserve to get hit."

If you ever report dangerous behaviour, you'd better hope you don't go through him or his ilk. Cretin.
    That is on a par with the stupid girl that tweeted about not caring about hitting a cyclist and not caring because they shouldn't be there-name and shame.
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Unfortunately as cycling has become more mainstream and there are large grps of riders on the roads, so the motorist no longer sees us a few lone eccentric's but now as a hinderance to their rights - i was in Verdun recently and a driver over there very nearly had me off, he cut back in on me so close my should brushed his car - indicating that i should be on the cycle path...which was closed!
    the pity is that as more riders get aggressive with motorists, its only going to get worse - every time you flick a motorist, your only out come is to make the next cyclist he meets bare the brunt of his anger toward us.
    I used to hope that after Brad and the Olympics we might been seen in a different light but cyclists think they have every right to cause tail backs, block junctions and ride like twatz - anyone who uses the roads around Plymouth on a saturday morning had better factor a 15min delay into their journey as the yogis hit the road....... :(
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Ah yes, the yogis bless them... I've been in that peloton!
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Had the same tonight in alcudia. Bitch nearly knocked me off so i banged on her car and she then immediately turned right across me. I was on a tt bike so not eactly nimble. Ended ip breaking the brake cable pulling it so hard. Gave chase and its a good job she did the back roads the way she did as if i had of caught her i would probably not be at home tonight. But still i got a pic of her car on my phone and will make it mylifes work to seek revenge when i see her car parked up before i leave this island. Ruined my ride and came home. No need for it what so ever snd just plain dangerous.