Most bizarre thing you saw out on a ride?

Comments

• dread_i1
    dread_i1 Posts: 178
    A few weeks back I cycled past two ladies power walking whilst hula hooping all at the same time.
  • was on a ride around midday once, along the union canal just outside edinburgh at ratho, riding along and there is a tramp sitting in the bushes polishing his bishop, dirty ole 'stard
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Riding around a bend in a country lane past a few houses in a group of about 5 of us, when all of a sudden from the hedge on the left came a chicken in 'full flight'. Landed right in the lap of the lad at the front of the group! Cool as a cucumber he just took his right arm off the bars and allowed it to 'flap free'. I was amazed as I would have certainly freaked and probably fallen off! :mrgreen: He kept his line throughout and appeared very nonchalant about the whole thing, as though he rides through chicken farms on every ride and has to deal with such inconveniences on a regular basis!

PP
  • robz400
    robz400 Posts: 160
    Passed a guy stood at the side of the road near box hill in full Castelli kit, a beautiful and very new Pinarello with Dura-ace and matching colour Oakley's who was doing his best to hide his cigarette when I went past.

Made me chuckle :-)
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    was on a ride around midday once, along the union canal just outside edinburgh at ratho, riding along and there is a tramp sitting in the bushes polishing his bishop, dirty ole 'stard

Does he find MAMIL's that exciting or is it just you?
  • IanREmery
    IanREmery Posts: 148
    TakeTurns wrote:
    I saw someone on one of these:
    draft_lens18751205module154486446photo_1319550745elliptical_workout.jpg
    With wheels(I assume), going around Richmond Park. :lol:

Saw someone doing the London to Brighton on one of them in 2011. Also when descending at over 30mph I flashed past someone on a unicycle, a big one too.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    TakeTurns wrote:
    Possibly! Although if I recall correctly (3months back), he was moving his arms back and forth.

I was doing a timed lap, head down, chewing the stem and therefore didn't get a great look - so I could be wrong.
    They hire them out from the bike hire place at Roehampton Gate cafe.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Spinonit
    Spinonit Posts: 17
    head down,chewing the stem,im usually seeing stars even tho im looking at the floor :lol:
  • norwichdanny
    norwichdanny Posts: 105
    Riding along yesterday and suddenly there was a bright light in the sky. It lasted only a few minutes but in those minutes it made half my arms and half my legs go brown. I remember seeing it a few years ago and it didn't last long then either. I mentioned it to my dad and he remembers it lasting for months at a time when he was a boy.
  • About thirty wigs of assorted styles and colours, strewn on the grass verge and caught up in the hedge.

Also, not bizarre but memorable: Two or three years back, I stopped for a breather in a small village, and noticed a large goose standing by the village phone box. I thought this would make a good photo, so I got my phone out and took a couple of snaps. The goose seemed to take exception to this and began advancing aggressively. As I cycled away I could hear his feet on the road behind me; slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap .... That would have made an even better photo, but I don't think there was anyone around to take it!
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    Rivington road last night, half a sheep on the road. As in stomach to back legs half :shock: no sign of the other half.
  • sutbags
    sutbags Posts: 45
    I was riding along the B5195 towards Formby bypass last year and in a farmers field I saw a life size statue of a polar bear astride a donkey.The polar bear looked like it was humping the donkey, made me laugh out loud.
  • shortcuts
    shortcuts Posts: 366
    Not strictly whilst out on a ride but cycling related!
    Was traveling through Australia where it is common for folk living in the wilds of the outback to put something on the roadside outside their drive for visitors to know where they are as houses can be a long way apart and easily missed. Saw this and had to laugh.

c6mv.jpg
  • ben16v
    ben16v Posts: 296
    a young girl standing on the side of the road in penrhyndaedraeth with a huge owl on her arm
    i need more bikes
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    On one of my regular rides, there is a ditch by the side of the road - in very rural Northumberland. This ditch is filled with mostly empty bottles of Smirnoff Vodka. must be 30 bottles there. Nothing else, just Smirnoff.

The other happened whilst I was going about 35mph down a bank, when 2 sheep ran out of some hedges, directly at me. I missed the back of one by inches, the second ran into my left leg, clipping my peddle with its rear leg after it turned. Luckily I stayed upright. I bought some new bibshorts after that. :shock:
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    MattC59 wrote:
    Rode through a village this morning that seemed to be populated by stuffed dummies / mannequins dressed in country attire, with photos of people's faces stuck on their face, we saw no people at all !?! Very creepy !

Must be a village thing, seen this myself around Crondall and thereabouts, very strange!!
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    Just building up some speed on a long downhill@17%, looked up and 50 miniature ponies are coming up the hill towards me, filling the road, brown pants time as I braked hard to a stop
  • swede54
    swede54 Posts: 20
    On Sunday I saw an old bloke on a steel sit up and beg stop to help a 30 something on a carbon TT bike fix a puncture. I didn't think that sort of thing was allowed.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Not that bizzare but worth a mention.
    Cycling over moorland near here last spring. No fences, just endless cattle grids to either bunny hop or go hell for leather - your choice, your rims (local knowledge dictates the option).
    Whilst descending down a particularly rough, narrow and steep section, I noticed a bunch of Heffers on the road (female cows to the uninitiated) and started shouting "hup hup hup" and they duly started clearing ahead of me. In the middle of the clearance was a young Hereford bull glaring at me wild eyed.
    As I got closer and with a bit of relief, I realised that he wasn't a threat; he was petrified. These big blue saucer eyes staring at me and he was all stiff legged. At the moment I was (nonchalant and blazee) passing, on his right hand side, he decided to turn off to the left. Fine, I thought, no problems. Except - rather like the tail end of an arctic, his back end swung round and I closed my eyes for a second (too late to pull on the anchors) fully expecting to plough into the middle/side/back end of a bit of Prime Beef, I don't know which 'portion' - my eyes were shut. Upon opening them a second later, the road was clear and the bull had missed me somehow (or should I say "I missed him").
    An angel sat on my shoulder that day.

In keeping with this thread. Come up and see one of the local Golf Course greenkeepers ride his mountain bike to and from work - he must weigh at least 20 stone and you cannot see the saddle. I have no idea how that bike holds up.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • In keeping with this thread. Come up and see one of the local Golf Course greenkeepers ride his mountain bike to and from work - he must weigh at least 20 stone and you cannot see the saddle. I have no idea how that bike holds up.

A couple of years ago I stopped by the side of the road for a breather, and four other cyclists went by in a group. One was the biggest person I've ever seen on a road bike. Round doesn't cover it. Full lycra kit too. After a minute or so I set off again and pretty soon I could see the four ahead of me on the road starting to get strung out. I quickly passed the first of them, then the next, and the next. But the big guy remained a dot on the horizon, I couldn't get near him. It was awesome. Eventually he turned off, far ahead of me, and I went the other way. Fat doesn't always mean slow.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Must be a village thing, saw MJ as I was passing through a small village in Northumberland.

DSC_1335_167.jpg
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    what can only be described as dogging on a night ride up box hill and past the car park. Not me, but others doing the act of dogging.
  • d10brp
    d10brp Posts: 70
    Cycling back home from work in Bristol along the avon on a narrow cycle path one night. Went around a corner and saw a small deer right in front of me. Stopped just in time and we had a stand off for about 30 seconds before it jumped into the bushes.
    Scott CR1 Pro
    Specialized Secteur Elite
  • On a quiet city street I saw a bloke cycling along on a flat bar bike with a young child, maybe 3 or 4, sat on his shoulders. Bloke had one hand on his handlebars and one hand on the child's foot.
  • Also, not bizarre but memorable: Two or three years back, I stopped for a breather in a small village, and noticed a large goose standing by the village phone box. I thought this would make a good photo, so I got my phone out and took a couple of snaps. The goose seemed to take exception to this and began advancing aggressively. As I cycled away I could hear his feet on the road behind me; slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap slap .... That would have made an even better photo, but I don't think there was anyone around to take it!

Sounds like a bit of a wild goose chase :lol:
  • Nick Cod
    Nick Cod Posts: 321
    Nothing bizarre on the road bike as yet. However out with a mate one evening on the mountain bikes we saw a guy in a big white apron and a large cleaver coming up the track towards us. He didn't appear to be too concerned about us coming towards him but I think some of the local farm animals were up for the chop that night

I did look back over my shoulder a couple of times as we passed him though
    2016 Cube Agree C:62 SLT DISC
    2013 Cayo Evo 3
    2013 Zesty 414
    2002 Avalanche 0.0
    2018 Vitus Substance v2 105 Gravel
  • hatch87
    hatch87 Posts: 352
    Having a chicken cross my path as I'm coming down hill was the last thing I was expecting to see on a main road no where near a farm. Not that bizarre compared to the rest of you, but still remember it. Also having a wasp land on the inside of my glasses was fairly memorable and probably the most scared I've been in years lol
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/686217
    Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a bitch! Blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me!
  • I regularly see an old lady on a mobility scooter taking a horse for a walk on a lead!
  • dee4life2005
    dee4life2005 Posts: 773
    Was out cycling in the country, and saw someone walking their dog and their dog took a dump on the road. They picked it up using one of those doggy bags thingys and then proceeded to tie it to the wire fence running along the road.

WTF is that all about ... I did ask, but they just ignored me ... sigh.