Bont arch support

greasedscotsman
greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
Got a pair of Bont A-three shoes a while back, moulded them a couple of times, but the arch support still doesn't seem quite right to me when riding. Feels too short and high. So does this mean I haven't moulded them correctly, possibly the oven wasn't hot enough (although I did use an oven thermometer) or maybe they just aren't for me?

Comments

• on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Same for me with the Vaypor. All the heat molding did was lose the support I need below my ankle because my foot pushed it out. They still felt like I was riding with a conker under my instep. Sold them.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    You do realise that you still need to use footbeds for proper support with Bonts...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Grill wrote:
    You do realise that you still need to use footbeds for proper support with Bonts...
    +1

The weedy insoles that come with Bont shoes are the worst thing about them. Switched them for a pair of the blue Spesh ones I use in my S-Works summer shoes and, hey presto, huge improvement.

The A3s are fantastic when fitted well - so good, considering the price.
  • greasedscotsman
    Grill wrote:

Do you mean you can use footbeds or need to use them? Or to put it another way, are you saying that Bont have designed their shoes to be used with footbeds?
  • Grill
    Need. Bonts are designed to be used with footbeds.
  • greasedscotsman
    Grill wrote:
    Need. Bonts are designed to be used with footbeds.

Gotta link for that? Can't find any reference on the Bont website or the instructions on the box.
  • Grill
    They ship with insoles which are referenced in their install vid (http://www.bont.com/cycling/items/support/heat_molding.html). Combine that with fact that you can't form a proper support with the tub due to the need for positive pressure (which would crack the carbon) and it's logical to assume that footbeds are indeed a necessity. This is coming from experience when I was a fitter and you'll notice that even Adrian Timmis makes footbeds for the Bonts he sells.
  • greasedscotsman
    OK, I'm confused now, your now saying insoles. Yes, I have used the insoles/footbeds that came with the shoes. But I don't see how using different ones is going to make the arch smaller, the ones they come with are pretty thin.

To be honest, all I'm looking for is to make sure that I have moulded them as far as I can. If I can't doing anything with the arch support that's there, you have stated that I will crack the shoes if I try and do this, then maybe they aren't for me. I'll have a go with something else.
  • Grill
    The insoles that come with Bonts (as well as 99% of other shoes) don't offer any real support which is why you need to look at Specialized BG Footbeds or another option. As I said the tub isn't meant to replace a proper footbed in terms of arch support, so what you need to do is to form them with a proper footbed inside so that there is a stable platform which will support and equalise press across your foot.
  • greasedscotsman
    So what is the point of moulding the sole then?
  • Grill
    The tub will give a precise last and heel hold as well as providing a stable platform for the footbed.
  • greasedscotsman
    That doesn't answer the question.
  • Grill
    Yes it does, but to expound:

Bonts are comprised of a carbon fiber tub that encapsulates the foot. When you heat the shoe the entire tub becomes pliable meaning you can form the last (the end of the shoe that determines width), increase length, and mold the heelcup to give a more precise fit. The tub is already designed to provide a certain amount of arch and forefoot support, but this is limited to provide stability as arch depth varies too much provide proper support (especially for those with more pronounced arches). All of these things make Bonts more customiseable than any other cycling shoe on the market but it doesn't replace the need for a footbed as carbon isn't bi-directional in stretch (you'll crack the carbon if you press to add support).
  • greasedscotsman
    Are you quoting Bont there?
  • Grill
    No. If you want Bont's official line then go to their website. If you want the perspective of a fitter that understands the individual morphology and necessary biomechanics to apply Bont tech based on many years experience in the field then read what I wrote.
  • greasedscotsman
    OK, thanks for your opinion. Anyone else?