Gradients

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited June 2013 in Commuting chat
What with the "hills that make you get of and Walk" thread, there is a lot of talk about gradients.

I am confused?

Can someone explain to me in lay terms what is meant by a gradient described as a % (i.e 10%) and what is meant by a gradient described as a fraction (i.e 1/3).

And what it means in real terms? if say traveling over a 1000m (or 1 Km/mile) or whatever on a 10% climb how many meters above sea level would I end up at if I started at sea level...
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    A 1-in-10 gradient (aka 10%) means that for every 10 metres you go horizontally, you go up 1.
    1-in-4 (25%) means 1 metre vertical for every 4 metres horizontal.

More generally, a 1-in-n gradient (100/n %) means you climb 1 metre for every n metres horizontal.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    This might help. The Y and X columns are effectively 1 in X with the equivalent percentage to the right.

So you'd go up 100 meters in your 1000 m travelled horizontally.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Rolf F wrote:
    This might help. The Y and X columns are effectively 1 in X with the equivalent percentage to the right.

So you'd go up 100 meters in your 1000 m travelled horizontally.

WOT? :?
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    You know how fractions work right? 1/3 = 33.333333%
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • vermin

I have a first degree in Engineering. Ergo I understand gradients. I have no qualification in gobbledegook. Ergo I do not understand Rolf's message. :wink:

For Rubertoe, I think TGOTB explains it neatly.
  • vermin wrote:

I have a first degree in Engineering. Ergo I understand gradients. I have no qualification in gobbledegook. Ergo I do not understand Rolf's message. :wink:

Gathers round to watch the engineering slap-fight.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    So 12% would be 12 vertical metres gained for every 100 horizontal metres travelled?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Yes, by jove I think he's got it!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    rubertoe wrote:
    So 12% would be 12 vertical metres gained for every 100 horizontal metres travelled?

correct .. doesn't sound like much does it ?
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    rubertoe wrote:
    And what it means in real terms? if say traveling over a 1000m (or 1 Km/mile) or whatever on a 10% climb how many meters above sea level would I end up at if I started at sea level...

Expressing gradient as a percentage is much more accurate and it is easier to work out how much you've climbed.
    From sea level, if you travel 1000m horizontally on a 10% climb, you will end up 100m above sea level (100 = 10% of 1000m). A 15% gradient would mean a 150m climb etc.

The fractional description of inclines is a bit rubbish. The difference between 1 in 4 and 1 in 3 might not seem much in terms of raw numbers, but it means that the first one (1 in 4) is a 25% incline but the second one (1 in 3) is 33%.
    When you get to lower numbers, 1 in 15 is just under 7% and 1 in 14 is just over 7%, so they give you less information.

I think the 1 in x roadsigns are (very slowly) being phased out.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • tgotb
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Expressing gradient as a percentage is much more accurate
    Only if you restrict yourself to using integers. For instance a 17% climb could be described as 1-in-5.88 with exactly the same level of precision/accuracy. In fact, describing a 1-in-3 climb as 33% is *less* accurate, as it's actually 33 1/3%

I also have a degree in engineering. It may only be a third, but I did get good marks for pedantry...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • EKE_38BPM
    I studied engineering (civil) but left before I got my degree. I lost marks for assuming too much knowledge in others (everyone knows what bentonite slurry is, right?

• vermin
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I studied engineering (civil) but left before I got my degree. I lost marks for assuming too much knowledge in others (everyone knows what bentonite slurry is, right?

Lol - I am actually writing about bentonite slurry at this very moment. Or rather, I am posting here to avoid the tedium of writing about bentonite slurry!
  • EKE_38BPM
    vermin wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Lol - I am actually writing about bentonite slurry at this very moment. Or rather, I am posting here to avoid the tedium of writing about bentonite slurry!
    Kind of sounds like why I left my degree.

• rubertoe wrote:

Yes, but please note this is slightly different to saying 12 vertical metres gained for every 100m travelled on the bike as the 100m is travelled horizontally.

For most gradients this can be more or less ignored: it means 12m climbed for every 100.7m travelled on the road for a 12%. Even at 30% you're doing 30m of ascent for 104.4m. Pedantry for the win!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    vermin wrote:

Well D'uh! I didn't put the link in. Do I have to do everything around here?! :lol:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/slope-degrees-gradient-grade-d_1562.html

PS I've drilled holes - I know what bentonite is!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Jehannum
    Jehannum Posts: 107
    Sorry, but 12% is closer to one in eight, so 1 unit climbed for every 8.3 units of horizontal travel.

12% = 1 in ( 100/12 )

= 1 in 8.3333

J.
    Reduce your carbon footprint - ride a metal bike!
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Expressing gradient as a percentage is much more accurate and it is easier to work

The fractional description of inclines is a bit rubbish. .

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    sorry nearly spat my coffee out at this one, so excuse my descent into pedentry.

Neither is more or less accurate, its just a different way of expressing a number.

Its like saying kgs are more accurate than lbs, i.e complete nonsense.

if something is a genuine 1in3 then to say it is 33% is less accurate, as it is 33.33 (recurrring)%

and vice versa a genuine 9% slope is not 1 in 11 its 1 in 11.11111(recurring).

In steps of whole numbers and restricted to "1" in then %age is a finer scale at steep slopes but fractions is a finer scale once slope is less than 10%.

For the record i'm not an engineer.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • tgotb
    t4tomo wrote:
    excuse my descent into pedentry.
    You've spelt that wrong, it's pedantry.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • vermin
    TGOTB wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:
    excuse my descent into pedentry.
    You've spelt that wrongly(?), it's pedantry.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Also confusing is that some gradient signs show the gradient at its steepest point. Theres a 17% one near me and the 17% is probably 2ft long - I still have to get off and walk though....and thats going downhill :mrgreen:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I did Maths at Uni - I never claimed I could spell. :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    fat_tail wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

correct .. doesn't sound like much does it ?

No it doesn't and if you look at elevation on a map etc the hills don't look all that big. There's plenty where you are climbing on your bike or on foot and it feels like 1:1 but it's a very long way from it!
  • t4tomo wrote:

Personally I did engineering - this means that not only can I not spell but I think pi is 3, but lets call it 10 to be on the safe side. Not sure why other engineers are being so accurate though, all an engineer needs is good enough not right.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Also confusing is that some gradient signs show the gradient at its steepest point. Theres a 17% one near me and the 17% is probably 2ft long - I still have to get off and walk though....and thats going downhill :mrgreen:

Yes - the French do it better in the Alps. Markers every km that show the ave and max % gradient over the next km.

So you know when to throw the towel in and give up...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • vermin

Yes - the French do it better in the Alps. Markers every km that show the ave and max % gradient over the next km.

So you know when to throw the towel in and give up...

There are climbs longer than a km? :shock:
  • EKE_38BPM
    t4tomo wrote:

Personally I did engineering - this means that not only can I not spell but I think pi is 3, but lets call it 10 to be on the safe side. Not sure why other engineers are being so accurate though, all an engineer needs is good enough not right.
    Doesn't a good engineer make x strong enough to be safe using the minimum of material. So, call pi 4. 10 seems like overkill.

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    t4tomo wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Expressing gradient as a percentage is much more accurate and it is easier to work

The fractional description of inclines is a bit rubbish. .

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    sorry nearly spat my coffee out at this one, so excuse my descent into pedentry.

Neither is more or less accurate, its just a different way of expressing a number.

Its like saying kgs are more accurate than lbs, i.e complete nonsense.

if something is a genuine 1in3 then to say it is 33% is less accurate, as it is 33.33 (recurrring)%

and vice versa a genuine 9% slope is not 1 in 11 its 1 in 11.11111(recurring).

In steps of whole numbers and restricted to "1" in then %age is a finer scale at steep slopes but fractions is a finer scale once slope is less than 10%.

For the record i'm not an engineer.
    Hurrah - a good answer. 1 in 8 is the same as 12.5%. It's the same ratio, just expressed in a different way.

FWIW I'd rather we stuck with the 1 in n method - it's so much more meaningful and we all know that a 1 in 3 is chuffing steep and a 1 in 20 is an easy slope. It's also how we always did it until some oik decided that 1 in something is too difficult to understand so we have to do it a different way. We should make life awkward for thickies.
  • Wunnunda
    Wunnunda Posts: 214
    Was brought up on 1 in 'n' but quite like nn% these days. I tend to view it as "This one will leave you 5% dead....with one it's 20%....but THIS one? You got funeral insurance?" :lol:

And with that, I'll slope off...
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Just remember n% down almost certainly means n% up on the other side.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5