Road bike Vs Fixie for busy commute?

joecamel
joecamel Posts: 81
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
A 10 mile city commute in rush hour with a few junctions but not any real hills: Road bike Vs Fixie, e.g. the Charge Plug?

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Using both on my out of town commute they both have pro's and cons.
    Fixie pro's:
    1. Mechanically simpler
    2. Like with like, lighter
    Fixie con's:
    1. I find it heavier on tyres (Regular front/back swapping is a good idea)
    2. If you have an energy fail, you're stuck with the one gear

I'm working on the premise of a competent fixie rider not the cliche so often attatched to them.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • gaddy18
    gaddy18 Posts: 1
    I use a Charge Plug for commuting in London, and have a road bike for the weekends/longer rides.

Works really well, very low maintenance and you can get up any hills you can find in London. Worth noting it is actually a singlespeed, unless you put the fixie cog on...

The tyres that came with it are terrible though. I had loads of punctures. Upgraded to gatorskins and haven't had one since.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Use both but mostly the fixed. Super simple and doing a high mileage it's easy to look after and service. Running fixed over winter seems to have paid off in terms of fitness too.

Don't over gear yourself either, sounds macho down the pub but isn't so fun when faced with a massive headwind.
  • Dezcore
    Dezcore Posts: 34
    Been using the 82.8" fixie since 5th June for commuting the 8.5/11.5(miles depending on route) to and back from work. It's a real good work out. Lucky I have showers at work :) Have a road bike (some kinda ribble I got for £150 second hand for longer rides). Fixie is a joy to ride.