Knee pain - what should I do.

Lassic
Lassic Posts: 32
edited June 2013 in Road general
So I did my first 50 miler on Sunday, which was double the distance I've ever done in one go in the past, it was very hilly and windy so it really took it out of me. Averaged a little over 13mph on my hybrid which I was quite pleased with. I also raised my seat about 2 inches before the ride, but I don't think I over did it, my leg is still slightly bent on the downstroke, going to put it down a little though when I get back on it, just in case.

I was achy for the rest of the day, and a little on Monday, but on Tuesday I felt okay so decided to get back on the bike to commute to work, a couple of miles in (it's only 4 miles each way) and my right knee starts giving me sharp pains.
Cycling home only seemed to aggrevate it, so I've kept off the bike Wednesday and Today.

It hurts on the right side of of my right knee whenever I bend it too much or straighten it fully.

It sounds like I've just done too much and sprained it, but wouldn't this have started on the 50 mile ride rather than my commute 2 days later?

Anyway, see a doctor or wait to see if it goes away on its own?

Comments

• bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    treat with R.I.C.E., especially if there is any swelling. Go to the doctor or see a sports physio. don't try to train through knee pain as you could prolong the recovery process or wreck the joint. Go to your bike shop and get them to check the bike fit. Don't seek medical advice on internet forums?
  • Lassic
    Lassic Posts: 32
    It doesn't look any different to my left knee, no swelling, bruising or redness.
    I'm 26 and slim build too so it's not under much strain. I'm going to see what it's like over the weekend and if it's not gone by then, I'll go to a walk in centre and get it checked out.
  • Doubt if it's sprained, you'd hardly be able to walk. Probably just strain from the unaccustomed exertion. In my experience most things sort themselves out given time. If not, get it checked out.
  • AllanES
    AllanES Posts: 151
    I've had trouble with my right knee too.
    More on the front of it though on top of the knee cap and I've altered a couple of things (one at a time though to see specifically which helps)
    I raised the saddle a little at a time until I found a comfortable position.
    I use lower gear and higher cadence on hills to minimise the stress on it. It seemed to be worse when trying to push harder on hills.
    And I also altered the cleat position on my shoe. Not sure if you are clipped in or not? But I found my right foot "splays" out slightly and I'd set up my cleat such that the shoe was perfectly straight ahead. Just a few degrees of twist on the cleat helped a great deal.
    Red Triban 3
    Giant Defy 1
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    It's been a slow recovery for me after some knee pain last summer deteriorated through the autumn. The best treatment (for me anyway) has been stretching exercises - twice a day, every day. Keep those tendons supple.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    if its the outside of the knee it could be ITB pain from having the saddle too high... look up 'ITB syndrome'
  • I would agree. Raised saddle, long ride, lateral knee pain = probably ITB strain. Try not to push it too hard until pain eases and do some stretching exercises regularly so it doesn't tighten.
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    you need to define "knee pain" more clearly (and ideally to someone who knows what they're talking about and can prod it a bit). it's a complex joint with many complex interactions. You could have a simple muscle strain, you could have patellar tendon issues, you could have ITB problems, you could have ligament strain / damage, you could have cartilage damage.
  • Toby_W
    Toby_W Posts: 217
    I find this useful when changing my cleats and adjusting for correct setup without knee pain:

http://www.cptips.com/

Look under training tips/injuries and then knees. Quite useful pain guide with pain here rotate this way, pain here lower seat etc.

Cheers

Toby
    Dancing on the pedals