Genesis Fortitude?

steve1200s
steve1200s Posts: 11
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
Has anyone riden one?

I had my Surly KM stolen last week http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10040&t=12927883, and I'm looking for a replacement.

The Genesis Fortitude Adventure looks ideal (I'm planning a hub gear for my new bike regardless, as it's an all year round do everything bike), but I'm not sure it would live up to the Surly....

The genesis is Reynolds 725 tubes, but the KM is 4130. I didn't find the KM too heavy, and it rode really nice, plus it felt bomb proof. I get the feeling the Genesis may be better on road and fire paths, but the KM would take more abuse on my local trails (Wharncliffe/Greno Woods in Sheffield) and maybe handle a little better.... And it looks better IMO.

Any input?

I'd also want to upgrade the brakes on the Genesis, to some shimano trail brakes....

Also, does anyone know how good the Alfine 11 is for MTBing? I'm worried it wont have the range to be a good climber and road going bike in one..... If I build a new KM, I can put a Rohloff on it, provided I have the cash after the insurance pays out, which does have the range I'd like.

Cheers for any input.
Steve.

Comments

• thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    I had BB7s on an old Inbread, they were OK, but if you want one finger braking, I'd go for Shimano Deore. (which I have on my current High Latitude 2x10)
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I have the SS version of the Fortitude, it can take plenty of abuse off-road and rides well - the issue with it for me is you can't fit a suspension fork later if you decide you've had enough of your wrists getting battered. I only use mine for shortish local rides (1-2 hours) so it's not a big deal but in hindsight I'd probably make a different choice if buying now and get something like a Singular Swift instead. The Fortitude is also very pricey for what you get (basic frame + basic components)
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    steve1200s wrote:
    Has anyone riden one?

I had my Surly KM stolen last week http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10040&t=12927883, and I'm looking for a replacement.

The Genesis Fortitude Adventure looks ideal (I'm planning a hub gear for my new bike regardless, as it's an all year round do everything bike), but I'm not sure it would live up to the Surly....

The genesis is Reynolds 725 tubes, but the KM is 4130. I didn't find the KM too heavy, and it rode really nice, plus it felt bomb proof. I get the feeling the Genesis may be better on road and fire paths, but the KM would take more abuse on my local trails (Wharncliffe/Greno Woods in Sheffield) and maybe handle a little better.... And it looks better IMO.

Any input?

I'd also want to upgrade the brakes on the Genesis, to some shimano trail brakes....

Also, does anyone know how good the Alfine 11 is for MTBing? I'm worried it wont have the range to be a good climber and road going bike in one..... If I build a new KM, I can put a Rohloff on it, provided I have the cash after the insurance pays out, which does have the range I'd like.

Cheers for any input.
    Steve.

My High Latitude is an all year do anything bike, it's fine with 2x10 SLX gears. Obviously I still need to clean and lube.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • steve1200s
    steve1200s Posts: 11
    Thanks for the advice,

I think I've decided on another custom Karate Monkey. I think I could get an Alfine version with BB7s build for less than the Genesis, with XT trail brakes for about the same. Has to be th KM though, it was an awesome bike to ride, and I feel I hadn't explored it enough to move on.

I've also been offered a Rohloff cheap(ish...), so may go down that route. or stick a 2x10 XT group on it and save a few hundred £!

As for a suspension fork, I loved riding rigid (I was a BMXr for most of my teens), but would like the option to add a decent fork in the future.....another score for ther KM.

Will check out the singular swift though too.