Fizik Arione or Specialized Romin Expert

Badger13
Badger13 Posts: 20
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
I really need to upgrade my stock (One23) saddle on my bike. After reading just about every review under the sun i have come down to 2 saddle, both of which get fantastic reviews. At the moment the Spesh leads based on the 5 star BR review but I have heard nothing but positives about the Fizik. I am just under 16st and looking for comfort over 50-60 mile weekend rides.
Suggestions greatly received thanks.

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I didn't get on with either them, its such a personal thing I doubt reviews/opinions matter much. See if theres any dealers near you have a try before you buy type scheme. At your weight I'd imagine something with a little extra padding would be better (like a Selle Italia C2) but again its all preference.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Unfortunately only you and your @rse can decide. Options are:

1) Buy one and if it doesn't suit you, sell it on Ebay and buy the other.

2) Or you could go looking on Ebay in the first place for somebody who's just done 1) and is trying to sell on the saddle they didn't get on with.

Worth having your backside measured by Specialized to make sure you get the correct width Romin.

FWIW my saddle quest ended when I bought a Brooks B17 Special. Mmmm, leather!

Or for those worried about the slightly agricultural look, racier (= more expensive) models are available
  • ironman69
    ironman69 Posts: 40
    Hi
    I have also had both, and again didn't get on with either, even had the Romin Pro - I went on reviews etc
    I think they shouldn't mention about comfort when reviewing saddles and should stick to just a thorough run down of build quality as I agree wholeheartedly with the previous poster - it is a real personal thing.
    My LBS has Fizik test saddles so I was lucky to give them a try, another shop I used for the specialized let me try before buying - just as well as they ain't cheap!!
    I ended up with a Fizik Aliantes which for the moment suits my backside, bit more padding and keeps me in place as I don't move about much on the seat.
    Having said that there are still days that I am convinced there are more comfy saddles out there!!!!!!

If I had to choose from the two in your title - for me Fizik!
  • Badger13
    Thanks for all of the advice. The issue I have is that I am 6' 2ish and ride a 58cm bike with a 120mm stem. So this means I am sitting in quite an aggressive seating position which is great and suits me but get numbness after a distance. The 145mm width of the current saddle is fine. My friend recommended that I go for a seat with a 'cut out' to relieve pressure but as I said earlier, people seem to swear by the Fizik. I thought it might come down to cost but I have found both saddles BNWOB on ebay for 47 quid. Both look good and both the same colour. I think it will be a case of trial and error.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    The Spesh Romin probably sounds more suitable for relieving numbness. If you've got an agressive position on the bike you may want to angle the saddle nose down a little (if you haven't tried already), might be worth trying this with your current saddle before buying a new one.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I did my 1st hundred mile ride on Sunday and the Fizik Arione was cushty.

This of course means nothing as you may well hate it.

Basically the only way to review a saddle is to use it for yourself.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    Another numb sufferer here, plus I've also owned both saddles. I find the cut out of the Spesh saddle to work best for me. I tried the Versus series of Fizik saddles but still suffered numbness, although it's a channel with Fizik and when compressed it doesn't help much.

It also depends on how you ride?

I spend most of my time on the hoods, and although the Romin helped with the numbness, the agressive style (riding on drops) didn't work. I then bought a Toupe which is designed for cycling on the hoods more, and so far it's been very good.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    The Fizik Arione is 130mm is it not? If your 145mm saddle is the correct width, then you would be looking at the Antares. I ride with a Romin Pro on one bike and an Antares on the other - very different saddles. The Fizik is flatter and allows you to move around a little more, while the Romin has a kicked up tail so you tend to stay in one position. I'll often swap between bikes if doing a lot of miles - just to get the slightly different position.

As said though - only your own backside can tell you which is right. Both companies do test saddles though, so worth searching out a dealer.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    The Fizik Arione is 130mm is it not? If your 145mm saddle is the correct width, then you would be looking at the Antares. I ride with a Romin Pro on one bike and an Antares on the other - very different saddles. The Fizik is flatter and allows you to move around a little more, while the Romin has a kicked up tail so you tend to stay in one position. I'll often swap between bikes if doing a lot of miles - just to get the slightly different position.

As said though - only your own backside can tell you which is right. Both companies do test saddles though, so worth searching out a dealer.
    I have the fizik arione and its 130mm.I like the fact it,s a long saddle so can move up and down as required.Has as been said it,s a personal thing and trial and error.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Badger13
    Thanks for all of the responses and views. Just to let you know that I now have the Romin.....and it is so much more comfortable than I thought. So far I'm very impressed.

Happy riding people.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Romin for me, slightly tilted up works for me or I slide forward and it makes me sore and gives me sore wrists too.

The kick up at the back works to plant you firmly in the right spot so it cradles your sit bones and it allows you to tilt your pelvis forward if you do that.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    As has been said, you need to try them (and for at least 30 miles IMO, ideally 50+ though). I tried the Arione, Aliante some other Fizik and they all felt very comfy just getting on the bike but all started to get increasingly uncomfy and after 30 miles I didn't want to sit on any of them. Tried a Romin next and it wasn't immediately as comfy as the Fiziks but felt the same after 30 miles and was still comfy enough after 50 miles so I bought one (and have since bought a couple more for other bikes), you need to get the right width though. Even so I know a few people that hate the Romin so don't just buy one without trying first.
  • Badger13
    nferrar wrote:
    Tried a Romin next and it wasn't immediately as comfy as the Fiziks but felt the same after 30 miles and was still comfy enough after 50 miles so I bought one (and have since bought a couple more for other bikes), you need to get the right width though. Even so I know a few people that hate the Romin so don't just buy one without trying first.

I have so far covered about 30 miles on the Romin and I found it very comfy. I was a bit nervous about the lack of padding but after a 30 mile ride I'm happy to say that there was no numbness or pain what-so-ever. I'll try it on a 50+ in the next week or two and see how I go but so far I am very happy with it and it looks great on my bike too!