secteur or cannondale synapse

bosdoc
bosdoc Posts: 19
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi switching from the mountains to the roads. Having visited local bike shop i have been recommended the specialized secteur coming in at £850 with shop fitting or the cannondale synapse. Online I can get a synapse for same price but 105 rather than sora all be it a 2012 model. What i dont get is the bike fit- and so would have to buy and take to shop- however if its not right its a bit of a gamble.
Any thoughts

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Most LBS "bike fits" consists of adjusting the saddle height, which is something yopu can do yourself. test ride both at the LBS and that will give you the correct frame size> if you prefer the CAAD abd the correct size is available online then you can give your LBS a chance to price match it first before you buy. That way you aren't blatently abusing their pre sales service. you'll no doubt to using them for bits and bobsliek pedals and shoes etc anyway
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    105 is far better than Sora, not to mention being 10 speed vs 9. But I'd suspect a 105 spec bike may also have lighter wheels - worth checking. I'd try haggling a bit with the bike shop on a 105 spec bike. My LBS will come close to internet prices on many things plus the advantage of being able to see products and get decent service before you buy.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • bosdoc
    Thanks- I went to a different bike shop and tried out the Defy 1 which was great also- now i am in a quandry as keen to get in next couple weeks. It makes a lot of difference getting advice and trying rather than trawling online for best deals
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    Where do you get the Synapse for £850?
  • bosdoc
  • chiark
    chiark Posts: 335
    I tried both, I also tried the Caad.

I bought the Synapse and don't regret it for a minute. I've been dropping the spacers under the headset every 6 months, and it suits my riding style.

Only thing I'd say is that it appears the 2013 model Synapse 105 is starting to cop out on 105 - for example, Tiagra front derailleur...
    Synapse Alloy 105 / Rock Lobster Tig Team Sl