Road tubulars

johnys
johnys Posts: 3
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
I was recomended to this site for advice i am 65 live in south west France my competitive days are long gone i just want to go out for a ride with friends but i am using my old bike with tubs, the roads arent that good being mountainous they tend to be grippy but rough, the local town in its wisdom has pushed cyclists onto tracks through the town, using the roads leads to abuse from one or two car drivers the tracks are made up of red ash and granite chippings not ideal for tubs so i have a choice find a more puncture resistant tub or change my rims to clincher, that in itself leads to a problem as there isnt a bike shop locally who is willing or i suspect able to do the job all they suggest is new wheels its an old bike70/80s with Shimmano 600 Arabesque gear i would like to keep it standard so any ideas i shall be making a trip to the uk later this year so could throw the wheels in the car for rebuild there if thats the way to go

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I have pm'd you, but just in case: Ugo.Santalucia is the man you need to seek out/hope replies to this.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,301
    Happy days...

For better puncture resistance you can try Continental Gatorskin sprinter... they are very tight though, which is a bit of a hassle if you have to fix a flat on the road... I also find the Vittoria Pave' very good. I use the 27 mm, but they also come as 24

A rebuild on clinchers is also a possibility in the UK... plenty of builders... Harry Rowland is not far from Dover and if you pass through London, give me a shout, I am always keen to work on period bicycles, as I am a "retro" fan myself
    left the forum March 2023
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I knew I could rely on you.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • johnys
    johnys Posts: 3
    Thanks very much guys will try to find some Contis even they may have to be uk ordered, for a country thats bike mad its so strange shops a very limited