Planet X vs Specialized/Trek/Giant/etc

wideboy
wideboy Posts: 206
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi all I've been looking into treating myself to my first carbon road bike with the best spec vs price I can get, I've really got into road cycling since joining a club and get out 4 times a week. I've been researching and Planet X takes some beating compared to the other larger bike manufacturers. Apart from lack of dealers is there really any other catch? (I've been looking at the Planet X pro carbon ultegra)

Comments

• I don't think there any catches really mate. If you can get to Rotherham, the showroom is well worth a look. I'm currently thinking long and hard about an RT-58 (their new sportive bike) with Force or Ultegra. Having looked around other brands there isn't something that hits a similar spec and price point that floats my boat so to speak. I'm not a massive fan of those AL30 wheels (although they may be great) but I'm thinking of sticking some nice wheels on my current Trek 1.1 and carrying these over to the new bike if and when I get one!
    Lovely bikes, and from my experience, friendly and helpful staff.
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • ba68
    ba68 Posts: 156
    I moved from a Trek 1.2 to a PX sl pro ultegra a couple of years ago once I knew I was getting into cycling more. The 1.2 was actually a really good bike for the money at the time, probably better than the current model, but I really noticed the difference when I got the PX. The wheels are actually ok, probably better than a lot of stock wheels that come with bikes at that price but would probably be the first thing to change but there's really no hurry they will be fine. I found the PX guys really helpful, I live in the south so all the comms was via email/phone but they were great. If you want a big name then get something else but at the price the current sl pro ultegra is a really good buy.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I find them fine - pretty good customer service. The frames are good.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    The planet-x pro carbon gives you good headlines... like "oooh ultegra and carbon for £1200"

but are you more concerned about Ultegra or having a better frameset?
  • wideboy
    wideboy Posts: 206
    To be honest I like the idea of a carbon frame that from what I've read seems to get positive reviews, coupled with a Ultegra group set for the Planet X price £1300. I was just trying to find out if there are any weaker components on the bike ie wheels that I could potentially swap before I buy?