Replacement headsets

Bigun6767
Bigun6767 Posts: 81
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Having noticed some roughness in my headset bearings I decided to take them out to service. Too late, they are trashed. The bike in question is a Marin East peak 5.5 2012 with FSA 10 semi integrated headset. . Can anyone suggest anything better to replace them as ive had these on both my full sus and hard tail and they've failed on both? Would external type headsets fit? Eg FSA pig or Chris King? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No to the second question.
    All mine take external so can't help with the first.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just buy new bearings. cheap as chips and easy to replace.

the pig IIRC does not come in a ZS fitting and i would not use a CK if i was given one. as they said they would never do a ZS fitting headset. CK stuff looks nice but not worth the money.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • freshe
    freshe Posts: 63
    I got new ones semi integrated with sealed bearings from BBB, 9mm stack height some other parameters i dont remember of my head now. Supposedly good enough.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Chris King headsets do not do a better job than the cheap Token that has been in my orange for years. Token do some nice cheap (£15) semi intergrated headsets for 50mm OD head tubes. They come iin pretty colours too. It what I would use.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Asif Tufal
    Asif Tufal Posts: 109
    I also had an FSA No 10 semi-integrated headset on my Cube LTD Pro and replaced it with a red anodised one from Superstar Components (Integrato). I did the same on my Corratec Superbow, only in orange. The new bearings are sealed, run smoothly and easily replaceable.