Halfords Advert

simonhead
simonhead Posts: 1,399
edited June 2013 in The cake stop
The Zigzag was close for two days to film this http://www.thisissurreytoday.co.uk/Box-Hill-cycling-ad-premieres/story-19341150-detail/story.html#axzz2WfspLS3V (video embedded).

I actually think its a bit insulting to cyclists and whilst meant to be ammusing just comes of as tacky.
Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.

Comments

• badly_dubbed
    badly_dubbed Posts: 1,350
    whats insulting about it? lol

anything that gets more folks out on some sort of bike is cool with me :)
  • simonhead
    Insulting may be the wrong word, stereotyping may be a better word. The commuters all look like nerds, the flappy arm leisure cyclists etc.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I see you point.

But I really like it, it's a bit of fun. It dose kinda poke fun at people who take cycling too seriously, but oh well gotta have a sense of humor.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    simonhead wrote:
    The commuters all look like nerds...

But they are, aren't they?
  • pease
    pease Posts: 150
    Saw it on the tv last night. I quite like the humor, it works well to grab viewer attention lets hope it helps them too as they now stick tenn clothing.
    Insert witty signature here
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I think its funny to be honest
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Think it kind of points out that there are many different types of cyclist, which is what we want isn't it? Many people draw enjoyment from the same activity in different ways, spending time on this forum should provide enough evidence of that.
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    It's an advert for Halfords, so it's aimed at Halfords customers, not serious cyclists. What's your problem?
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Sense of humour failure on the OP's behalf I think. As an add it gets the point over that cycling is an activity for all,and anyone who rides a bike can call in Halfords for what they need.

Job done, I think.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    I like the ad, but the 'pros' don't look very pro-like. Couldn't they have brought in a real one? I hear Lance Armstrong's going cheap....?
  • simonhead
    Sorry, bit of a tough day yesterday, I was pi$$ed that they had shut the ZigZag for 2 days a few weeks ago (whilst i had time to make the most of it) to film this.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    I like the ad, but the 'pros' don't look very pro-like. Couldn't they have brought in a real one? I hear Lance Armstrong's going cheap....?

Has he switched from drugs to bird food?

The older I get, the better I was.

• plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    well it gave him a bit of a trill
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    The ads great, loving the crash. Its clearly not an advert for the TDF and its a bit of fun. Live a little!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    simonhead wrote:
    The Zigzag was close for two days to film this http://www.thisissurreytoday.co.uk/Box-Hill-cycling-ad-premieres/story-19341150-detail/story.html#axzz2WfspLS3V (video embedded).

I actually think its a bit insulting to cyclists and whilst meant to be ammusing just comes of as tacky.

You're talking bollox - that rocks. As a fairly sentimental at heart kinda guy, I like it. Its funny and cool and takes the piss out of everyone, which is good - too many people are too serious nowadays and a bit of a laugh is what we all need.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Yossie wrote:
    simonhead wrote:

You're talking bollox - that rocks. As a fairly sentimental at heart kinda guy, I like it. Its funny and cool and takes the wee-wee out of everyone, which is good - too many people are too serious nowadays and a bit of a laugh is what we all need.
    no, it's crap.
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    It made me laugh, but what was the full water cooler bottle about? I've never seen anyone carrying one of those on a ride.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.