West London Routes

tremendousj
tremendousj Posts: 13
edited June 2013 in Road general
Can any locals recommend any good routes in West London/Middlesex?

I rent a room in Hayes Monday - Friday and commute to work but I'm looking for something to stretch my legs a bit but I don't know the local area at all. I've covered the obvious one down to Box Hill and I'll try Richmond Park but even Box Hill took longer than it should as I had to keep stopping and checking I was heading in the right direction.

I'm not bothered whether its into or out of London but the easier to follow the better

Comments

• Cubic
    Cubic Posts: 594
    You could try heading over to Windsor Great Park, it doesn't seem to far from Hayes on the map. It's a nice place to go, although it's not too good if you want a hilly ride.
  • fsman
    fsman Posts: 112
    leith hill?
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    If you do go to Windsor then you can always head out towards Chobham, Windlesham, Woking etc, some nicer roads in that area.
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    You want to head north, up to the Chesham area and The Chilterns.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Thanks for the advice, I'll have a look tonight.

I'm not bothered how far I have to go, the hardest bit is knowing which roads to take. My sense of direction is not my greatest strength :oops:
  • kidfelt78
    kidfelt78 Posts: 28
    I mainly go out towards the Chilterns as antifly suggests, there are always some nice hills around and you can usually keep yourself on B-roads and quiet country lanes.
  • shortcuts
    shortcuts Posts: 366
    Thanks for the advice, I'll have a look tonight.

I'm not bothered how far I have to go, the hardest bit is knowing which roads to take. My sense of direction is not my greatest strength :oops:
    Would a bike computer with sat nav help?
    That way you can plan/download routes and get turn by turn directions.
  • shortcuts wrote:
    Thanks for the advice, I'll have a look tonight.

Would a bike computer with sat nav help?
    That way you can plan/download routes and get turn by turn directions.

That would be the easiest solution, sadly it's beyond my financial capabilities at the minute.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    You could just use google maps or mapmyride or somesuch to concoct a suitable route (length / profile etc). Then print off the road maps you need for the route. Once you've done it 3 or 4 times you'll know it well enough to repeat without using maps.

I did this for a route round the Surrey hills and it worked a treat