possible full suspension build depending on price

Comments

• Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Have you considered cornering with your pedals level, or the inside pedal up and the outside one down?... :roll:

Just a thought, lol.

everyone makes mistake's

my bikes needs lots of work to make it decent and so does my riding style

I need new forks
    new wheels
    new seat post and seat

Take whatever money you were going to spend on building this full sus bike and give your bike a good service, fix anything that needs fixing or if you can't do it, give it to a local shop who can. I have read quite a few times your wheels might be shagged... take them to a shop and get an informed opinion as to whether they can be straightened and if they can't, search eBay or the classifieds section for a replacement set. You should have no problems picking up a heavy, but perfectly serviceable wheelset for £40 that will last you years. Need advice on wheels? This is where this forum comes in..

So you now have a fully functioning mountain bike. But what to do with all that spare money you have left over I hear you say??
    1. Find your nearest trail centre (mbr magazine have a good trail guide on sale in the mags section at the supermarket) and pay for a train ticket or petrol in mum/dad/mates car to get there. Ride bike. Repeat.
    2. Find your nearest MTB club who do regular rides in your area (Google helps here) and meet with like minded people who know where to go to have fun on your bike, probably know a thing or two about maintaining it and will help you develop any small amount of talent you might have. You might even make a couple of good mates. Ride bike. Repeat. (this one is free by the way)
    3. Find your nearest MTB skills course and spend a few hours or a day with someone who gets paid to show people how to ride a bike off road. After you have been shown a variety of skills and techniques.. follow step 1 or 2 to practice said newly acquired skills and techniques.

If you want the fun and challenge of building a bike, buy a simple cycle mechanics guide (Haynes do a nice, clear, well illustrated one) and strip the bike you already have and rebuild it (this will only cost you the price of a book and a basic toolkit)

If this sounds like too much effort or not really your bag, maybe mountain biking isn't for you and you should stop ploughing money into it. I'm not trying to be funny but most of the riding you describe I could manage on my road bike.

Hope this helps.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    TwellySmat wrote:
    Have you considered cornering with your pedals level, or the inside pedal up and the outside one down?... :roll:

Just a thought, lol.

everyone makes mistake's

my bikes needs lots of work to make it decent and so does my riding style

I need new forks
    new wheels
    new seat post and seat

Take whatever money you were going to spend on building this full sus bike and give your bike a good service, fix anything that needs fixing or if you can't do it, give it to a local shop who can. I have read quite a few times your wheels might be shagged... take them to a shop and get an informed opinion as to whether they can be straightened and if they can't, search eBay or the classifieds section for a replacement set. You should have no problems picking up a heavy, but perfectly serviceable wheelset for £40 that will last you years. Need advice on wheels? This is where this forum comes in..

So you now have a fully functioning mountain bike. But what to do with all that spare money you have left over I hear you say??
    1. Find your nearest trail centre (mbr magazine have a good trail guide on sale in the mags section at the supermarket) and pay for a train ticket or petrol in mum/dad/mates car to get there. Ride bike. Repeat.
    2. Find your nearest MTB club who do regular rides in your area (Google helps here) and meet with like minded people who know where to go to have fun on your bike, probably know a thing or two about maintaining it and will help you develop any small amount of talent you might have. You might even make a couple of good mates. Ride bike. Repeat. (this one is free by the way)
    3. Find your nearest MTB skills course and spend a few hours or a day with someone who gets paid to show people how to ride a bike off road. After you have been shown a variety of skills and techniques.. follow step 1 or 2 to practice said newly acquired skills and techniques.

If you want the fun and challenge of building a bike, buy a simple cycle mechanics guide (Haynes do a nice, clear, well illustrated one) and strip the bike you already have and rebuild it (this will only cost you the price of a book and a basic toolkit)

If this sounds like too much effort or not really your bag, maybe mountain biking isn't for you and you should stop ploughing money into it. I'm not trying to be funny but most of the riding you describe I could manage on my road bike.

Hope this helps.

thanks for the advice!!!

ill buy mbr next time when im the shop
    my local trial place is thetford forest (bike art and surrounding trials)
    not really a big mountain biking scene where I live its mostly roadie's dig around for mountain bike one
    I jus think it would be usefull to know how fix and build a bike.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    TwellySmat wrote:
    Find your nearest MTB skills course and spend a few hours or a day with someone who gets paid to show people how to ride a bike off road.

I think I'm going to book on one of Great Rock's courses, been looking at them for a while now. £80 for a full day - would do far more for my riding than £80 of shiny bits.
  • Anonymous
    TwellySmat wrote:
    Find your nearest MTB skills course and spend a few hours or a day with someone who gets paid to show people how to ride a bike off road.

I think I'm going to book on one of Great Rock's courses, been looking at them for a while now. £80 for a full day - would do far more for my riding than £80 of shiny bits.

cool. go for it
  • Twelly
    my local trial place is thetford forest (bike art and surrounding trials)
    Looks like a fun spot, and they do skills courses, have different graded routes and even an MTB race series.
    So why are you riding around the park?
    not really a big mountain biking scene where I live its mostly roadie's

I don't believe you. Look harder.
    I jus think it would be usefull to know how fix and build a bike.
    The word is JUST and yes I agree, it is very usefull. Haynes manual - strip and rebuild your own bike - bosh.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Personally i cant see you need a new bike.chopping in what you have now and going to something totally different isnt going to help if anything its going to be harder for you.
    From what you've said your going round flatish routes, get some hills! They will challenge you, plus you get to play with the drops on going down. You need to find something technical and challenging really.
  • Anonymous
    edited June 2013
    found a cycling club

http://www.westsuffolkwheelers.co.uk/(joined there facebook page)

im riding around the park because it cant drive there myself and only a couple are willing to take and there busy mostly I would get the train but yeah.
  • Twelly
    found a cycling club

http://www.westsuffolkwheelers.co.uk/

im riding around the park because it cant drive there myself and only a couple are willing to take and there busy mostly I would get the train but yeah.

How far is it? Close enough to ride there?

What was your budget for this proposed full sus bike build?

How many train/taxi rides to/from Thetford could that budget get you?
  • Anonymous
    TwellySmat wrote:
    found a cycling club

http://www.westsuffolkwheelers.co.uk/

How far is it? Close enough to ride there?

What was your budget for this proposed full sus bike build?

How many train/taxi rides to/from Thetford could that budget get you?

good point fix bike go to thetford. scrap full suspension bike idea.
    join cycling club hopefully meet people
    I couldn't cycle there i'd be knackered when I got there.
    i'd really like to meet some new people so im probably gonna follow your advice.
    I would like to try some more advanced trials
  • Kowalski675
    Last time I was at Gisburn (couple of weekends back) there was a big group from a Manchester MTB club at one point, must've been twenty or so of them, mostly average people, not super fit athletes (put it this way, a few of 'em must've been running a fair bit of preload on their suspension, lol).
  • Anonymous
    Last time I was at Gisburn (couple of weekends back) there was a big group from a Manchester MTB club at one point, must've been twenty or so of them, mostly average people, not super fit athletes (put it this way, a few of 'em must've been running a fair bit of preload on their suspension, lol).

bullying fatties are we
  • Kowalski675
    At least they were off their arses and getting some exercise, albeit belatedly.
  • Anonymous
    didn't you race past them and splash them in mud like a proper bully
  • Kowalski675
    edited June 2013
    didn't you race past them and splash them in mud like a proper bully

Nope. We'd just climbed up through the very rocky Whelpstone Crag section, so stopped for a rest and a drink where they were congregated and watched one of the more adventurous ones ride the black rated, and seriously steep, Bigfoot Slab (and nearly come unstuck when his back wheel kicked up and nearly pitched him over the bars - that would've made a mess of his face). Then carried on. They caught up as we were climbing back up for a second run down Hully Gully (so much more comfortable on a three grand full susser than on my hardtail, lol), which was made interesting by coming over a brow and finding two of the women stopped and off their bikes 'cos they'd bottled it, leaving just enough room to squeeze between them and the drop down into the gully, silly sods :roll:

And there wasn't any mud - it was bone dry.

You're missing my point. I was making the point that you don't need to be super fit or a talented rider (christ knows, I'm neither) to get out there (preferably with some like minded folk) and enjoy some proper trail rides, that you'll find far more interesting, varied, fun and rewarding than riding round the local park (less dogshit too...).
  • Anonymous
    talking to a guy about biking on facebook
  • Kowalski675
    Or, to put it another way, would you rather ride dodging dogturds round your local park, or here?:

260520133169_zps1152a4d0.jpg
  • Anonymous
    its fine for you can drive and I cant so can get much nicer places that looks lovely can you pick me up? ill give you some money for petrol never know you might even have something in common. :mrgreen:
  • Kowalski675
    its fine for you can drive and I cant so can get much nicer places that looks lovely can you pick me up? ill give you some money for petrol never know you might even have something in common. :mrgreen:

It'd be a bloody long round trip, and my car's a thirsty old biatch, lol - I really don't think you'd fancy that fuel bill (and it only has room for one bike in the back, lol), but I'm sure there's someone local who has transport and shares an interest in MTB.
  • Anonymous
    yeah I jus found a Facebook group called cycle rides organising bike rides for bury so I've applied to join my bike doesn't even come close to what some of the other people have im feeling really jealous.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or, to put it another way, would you rather ride dodging dogturds round your local park, or here?:

Looks exciting - gnarrly fireroad demands gnarrly skillzzz.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Gibbo3771
    Gibbo3771 Posts: 145
    cooldad wrote:
    How long is a piece of string.
    Both in terms of larger and more aggressive, cheaper than what, and what you can swap.

ps if you are only using the highest gears, you are either doing something wrong or missing out on lots.

cheaper then say the average price of a fairly decent 2nd hand full suspension bike.
    on the gears front I don't see the point of having 24 gears because ive never used anything about say below say 18th gear because I think its personally pointless if you got to be first gear and knacker yourself out to get up a hill your either unfit or stupid you could push it up and save yourself the embarrassment of looking a like a moron. off course if it race its different.

brakes etc wheels tyres etc swapping?

Seriously?

As far as I can see you've never actually been mountain biking.

I'm all for people trying to build bikes, I just don't think you should.

From the front page here, this annoyed me because some people snapped at chunkers when he is right, if you are not using the bottom gears to climb hills then you have never been proper mountain biking, try climbing 2000ft in 18th gear, you will have no strenght in your legs for the decent and it will just lead to injury.

If you do, you are some sort of cyborg.
  • rgliniany
    rgliniany Posts: 753
    Gibbo3771 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Both in terms of larger and more aggressive, cheaper than what, and what you can swap.

ps if you are only using the highest gears, you are either doing something wrong or missing out on lots.

cheaper then say the average price of a fairly decent 2nd hand full suspension bike.
    on the gears front I don't see the point of having 24 gears because ive never used anything about say below say 18th gear because I think its personally pointless if you got to be first gear and knacker yourself out to get up a hill your either unfit or stupid you could push it up and save yourself the embarrassment of looking a like a moron. off course if it race its different.

Seriously?

From the front page here, this annoyed me because some people snapped at chunkers when he is right, if you are not using the bottom gears to climb hills then you have never been proper mountain biking, try climbing 2000ft in 18th gear, you will have no strenght in your legs for the decent and it will just lead to injury.

for the decent what??? descent? :wink:
    It's a boy , It's a boy , I Shouted Running Into The Street With Tears Running Down My Face.....

That's The Last Time I Holiday In Thailand

URL Pinkbike
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Of all the mega fail here, you decide to pick up on that....
  • Gibbo3771
    rgliniany wrote:
    Gibbo3771 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Seriously?

for the decent what??? descent? :wink:

Bastard! LOL, should have proof read that first before being a cocky tit :p
  • Gibbo3771

Never bothered to read the rest of the thread after I seen what the OP was typing, this entire thread could be tl;drdeded in several harsh and true words.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I must say an increasing number of threads these days seem like I'm reading something on a school messaage board!

Agreed, I'd far rather ride Thetford than there!
  • rgliniany
    rgliniany Posts: 753

I was having a grammar / spelling Nazi day. :wink: (and my luunch was just about over so had to do something quick or it would have been a wasted one..... spent too long flagging up 8 spam posts)
    It's a boy , It's a boy , I Shouted Running Into The Street With Tears Running Down My Face.....

That's The Last Time I Holiday In Thailand

URL Pinkbike
  • Kowalski675
    cooldad wrote:

I just chose that pic because the view's nice. The trail centre's on Forestry Commission land, which is obviously criss crossed with fire roads for logging traffic. The'yre only used on the trail route for short sections joining together the proper sections. That particular one is a short section between the top of the Hope Line descent and the rock garden quarry section leading up to Whelpstone Crag, both of which are definitely gnarly.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yeah, but that rock garden front centre does look quite scary anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222

I just chose that pic because the view's nice. The trail centre's on Forestry Commission land, which is obviously criss crossed with fire roads for logging traffic. The'yre only used on the trail route for short sections joining together the proper sections. That particular one is a short section between the top of the Hope Line descent and the rock garden quarry section leading up to Whelpstone Crag, both of which are definitely gnarly.

1. Pics or it didn't happen.
    2. The'yre? If you're going to be a pedant and criticise someone's spelling, try harder with your own.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500