Nationwide ban on carrier bags?

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,355
edited June 2013 in The cake stop
In the same vein as cats and wildlife.

Here are the facts:

2 million seabirds each year die form the direct and indirect consumption/strangulation from carrier bags.
Dolphins, Porpoises, Seals and Otters die from similar effect
Certain marine life mistake carrier bags for jellyfish - especially Morrissons bags as they are clear but for the logo in the middle which silhouetted against the sky, looks remarkabley like a jelly fish.

Worst of all are those damn rings that holds beer cans together. I recently came accross a dead Seal with one stretched around its neck. Lovely way to go. Chop them up please before getting rat4rsed and bin it properly.

My organisation has recycled something in the region of 2 tons of low grade polythene in our 10 year existence. Most of it bags that people discard in our can bamks when depositing the cans that they bring along and we collect cans from pubs/food outlets in black bin liners. Our efforts are small scale and it horrifies me to think of the real volume of these bloody things.

Thats my twopence worth.
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• jezzpalmer
    jezzpalmer Posts: 389
    They've been sort of banned in Wales for a year or two, they (by law I believe) cost at least 5p now, naturally people tend to use reusable ones now.

Should I pay a visit the homeland, it now seems odd to be given free carrier bags in supermarkets/shops.
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    I think Tim Minchin has this covered

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFgtIziShmc
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    How can anyone go out to buy something and not think - what am I gonna carry it home in? - is beyond me, but then I shop on a bike, maybe it's difficult to think and drive :D

Anyone who drinks beer out of cans is beyond reasoning with.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Amazing why they wernt banned years ago, you should see what they do to a cow/bullocks stomach.

whilst we r on the subject, why would anyone fill a carrier bag with rubbish and then throw it out of their car? like they are going home, so put it in the 'bin?
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    edited June 2013
    Chapeau - a picture title thread - Kings Knight to Rook 6 :D

b01s7t3r_640_360.jpg

916-7551.gif

robertcarrier2.jpg

article-2208348-15327096000005DC-604_634x358.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    mamba80 wrote:
    why would anyone fill a carrier bag with rubbish and then throw it out of their car?

When I'm too old to be sent to prison I will get a sniper's rifle and shoot these kinds of people. But then the family will put them in a binliner and throw that out of the car window and the whole 'cycle of death' starts again.