Which one of these road bikes should I choose?

bwhite87
bwhite87 Posts: 4
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
Hello,

I am looking to buy my first road bike and have a budget of about £1300.

My local bike shop has recommended either the Scott Speedster 20 (£1000) http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-scott-speedster-20-13-46904, or the Forme Axe Edge Sport (£1300) http://www.formebikes.co.uk/bikes/road/axeedgesport.php.

The Scott Speedster has excellent reviews, but obviously doesn't have the carbon frame, wheels, tyres aren't as good apparently either. However, I have not heard of Forme before.

My question is; is it worth paying the extra £300 for those features on the Forme? I primarily want comfort and speed out of the bike so not sure whether the carbon will give me any of these extra benefits? Are there any other bikes I should look at?

Thank you in advance :D

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Which one feels more comfortable when you sit on it/ride it?

That gives you your answer.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    That Forme doesn't look particularly good value, Microshift shifters on a £1300 bike?! Fair enough if a lot of money has gone into the frame but I'd at least want Tiagra shifters.
    The Scott looks decent but is a pretty racey frame and wouldn't be as comfortable a ride as other options out there - what are you looking to use the bike for? races, club rides, leisure rides, general fitness rides, commuting etc.?
  • bwhite87
    nferrar wrote:
    That Forme doesn't look particularly good value, Microshift shifters on a £1300 bike?! Fair enough if a lot of money has gone into the frame but I'd at least want Tiagra shifters.
    The Scott looks decent but is a pretty racey frame and wouldn't be as comfortable a ride as other options out there - what are you looking to use the bike for? races, club rides, leisure rides, general fitness rides, commuting etc.?

Thanks for your reply. The bike will be used for commuting and doing a fair few miles at weekends. Therefore I would like something comfortable, smooth, and would like something quite fast. I am a complete newbie with bikes so I am not sure which components are crap!
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    If comfort is one of your prime criteria then you should take a look at the Trek Domane range. The new "decoupler" design of their frames seems to be well received by reviewers in terms of smoothing out the ride.

This is within your budget range if the bikes above reflect what you are prepared to spend:-

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/1051 ... -bike-2013

It has a mainly Shimano105 gearing so is equivalent to the Scott in spec but the review you link to notes that the Scott has a "Firm ride and can rattle a bit on rough roads" - so maybe not the best for all round comfort.
  • kwozzymodo
    kwozzymodo Posts: 45
    The Trek Domane is a 'comfort oriented' machine, with its decoupler technology, as the previous contributor points out. The Specialized Roubaix is also a 'comfort' bike, with its 'zertz' tech. I've seen a few Domane/Roubaix bikes on 'the bay' within the £1000-£1300 price range. I got my Roubaix Elite for under a grand, with Shim 105 kit - it is very comfortable.

Bike Radar has done some thorough reviews of 'comfort' bikes, so you might take a gander and find that you have more options available regarding what you are looking for.

Good luck with the search.
  • bwhite87
    Thank you for your help everyone
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I'd be a bit wary of the Domane in alu form (which is the one in your budget range), it doesn't get anywhere near as good reviews as the carbon version. Generally I'd say as someone new to road bikes you're better off going to a bike shop but you will be paying top whack for the bike (although assume you can get 10% off the ticket price as a negotiating point). If you do go to an LBS then you should test ride a few bikes and see how you get on, hopefully one will leap out at you as the obvious choice :p
    If you wanted better value and were prepared to take the risk of buying online then something like the Verenti Insight from Wiggle is worth looking at http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-insight-105-2013/ £1056 with carbon frame and mostly 105 is more bike than you'll need for a long time (it doesn't have pannier mounts but I'm assuming you won't need them for your commute, if you do make sure you check any you look at for them). At least with Wiggle they do a 30 day return so if you don't like it they'll collect it at their expense so it's fairly hassle-free.
  • grim168
    grim168 Posts: 482
    Picked my speedster 20 up this morning. Test rode it last weekend and felt at home on it. Not bothered about carbon, a decent ally frame is as good as a cheap carbon one.