Knock off Chinese jerseys

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited July 2013 in Road general
I'm contemplating buying some "Castelli" gear at around £15 per jersey. I'm quite sure it will be substandard compared to the real thing but wondered if anyone has experience of buying this sort of thing?

How poor is it in comparison to genuine stuff?

(Note - I'm buying summer short sleeve tops so there's less chance of its poor quality letting me down compared to winter/water/windproof stuff)

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    There's lots of threads about these. But if you must buy Chinese stuff, why buy fakes? I'm sure there are plenty of non branded Chinese jerseys about.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    If you want, go ahead, try it out. There really is no comparison between the two. If you were blindfolded, I guarantee you'd be able to tell which is which.

IME, they're one of those things which are just a waste of money. Do you really want cheap shite in your wardrobe which you'll be throwing out in a few months time?
  • rodgers73
    I have half a dozen genuine team tops and I've never been blown away by the quality of them (Lotto Bellisol top aside - very good).

My FDJ top needed the cuff on the sleeve restitching after a handful of outings, so as long as the printing and colour quality is ok then I may try one.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    rodgers73 wrote:
    I have half a dozen genuine team tops and I've never been blown away by the quality of them (Lotto Bellisol top aside - very good).

My FDJ top needed the cuff on the sleeve restitching after a handful of outings, so as long as the printing and colour quality is ok then I may try one.

Yeah, maybe you should. Perhaps then you'll appreciate what you have a little more. :wink:
  • rodgers73
    If Aldi can make a cycling top that is still in great shape 2 years on and sells for £8, then it cant be impossible to make a quality jersey with a team logo on it for double that price? Can it?

I'm not arguing in favour of this stuff - I've never seen or felt it - but you seem a little skeptical. Is this because you've sampled this stuff? How was your experience?
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    i had a castelli fake, it was actually quite good quality. pity it was too tight around my gut lol
  • k3vinjam3s
    k3vinjam3s Posts: 266
    I have 2 of these tops and both made well and lasted me months so far. I'll be buying more as they are good value.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    I have been using kit from Monton Cycles, and it is pretty. Just because it doesn't have a genuine castelli stamp on it doesn't mean it isn't good.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Bought a chinese Lotto kit and the shorts fit fine and the jersey too, slightly bulbous in the midrif area which bunches up but other than that great value.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    I have been using kit from Monton Cycles, and it is pretty. Just because it doesn't have a genuine castelli stamp on it doesn't mean it isn't good.

Is that http://www.cycling-monton.com/ or http://www.cyclingmonton.com/ ?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    edited June 2013
    Buckie2k5 wrote:
    i had a castelli fake, it was actually quite good quality. pity it was too tight around my gut lol

You mean the jersey was higher quality than your gut?! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    I have one of the Castelli ones. Its ok. Fit not bad - slightly baggy around the arms,shoulder area vs the real thing. The quality is fine but not like a castelli. I bought one to try and save a few quid last year as I was having to buy a lot of gear getting started in this sport. I probably wouldn't by another one. I bought a Probikekit jersey the other week there. It cost me £30 (in the sale)delivered and its a much better quality and fit and is now my preferred jersey. The fit on the chinese ones is a bit of a gamble and of course you can't economically send them back.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    As has been said, can't you just buy plain cheap Chinese ones? Why buy a Castelli rip-off one that damages their brand?
    Genuine trade team kit is usually pretty budget stuff anyway, it's not the same kit the pro team actually uses (there are exceptions like the Rapha pro team range).
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    if you need a good jersey and you're on a budget, get one of these. I have some of them and they are spot on, a good fit, good quality and you are buying from a company that pays UK tax and does dilligent QA on the overseas producers

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CLP ... ved_jersey

tenner for a jersey that is a gazillion times better than the aldi one
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    rodgers73 wrote:
    If Aldi can make a cycling top that is still in great shape 2 years on and sells for £8, then it cant be impossible to make a quality jersey with a team logo on it for double that price? Can it?

I'm not arguing in favour of this stuff - I've never seen or felt it - but you seem a little skeptical. Is this because you've sampled this stuff? How was your experience?

You've already made your mind up so why bother asking for opinions? People have told you the quality is crap and from my experience of them, yes the colour runs. Anything white is virtually see through too and the material wears through in no time. But, go ahead and buy some as it appears it is the only way you will learn.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I know a guy who knows a guy who brought a Chinese rip off jersey and it broke halfway through a ride causing him to crash and die....he also caught fire.
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    I bought a Vini fantini top last year on a chinese website because I couldn't find it anywhere else.

The website didn't accept mastercard, only visa so I used an old card that I never normally use. I then got a call from Barclays fraud department to advise it was being used for all sorts of stuff in London.

I know for a fact it must have been from the chinese website as I never used the card for anything else.

So be careful!
  • andi1363
    andi1363 Posts: 350
    I bought a Cube knock off jersey in large as per their size guide. Fit is poor, Baggy but has tight and short sleeves. Material, pockets and zip are decent though.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I wear team LIDL kit and its pretty good. Last Team LIDL jersey cost me £3.50 in the left over/additional discounts bin.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    diy wrote:
    I wear team LIDL kit and its pretty good. Last Team LIDL jersey cost me £3.50 in the left over/additional discounts bin.

Yes but where are they in the UCI world tour rankings?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    I have a set of chinese kit and I cant fault it.Well used and not run in the wash or bobbled after usage.I also have Giant team kit which cost about £120 from lbs. Even though the chinese bibs are good,the expensive bibs are worth the extra,but the top I cant tell any difference.(the giant kit is for best bike only btw).
    Also Blanco jersey in lbs is £120 just for the jersey,one from hong kong I ordered was £15 posted.
    For me,I will buy jersey,s from far east but shorts I will pay premium for.
    Pays your money and all that.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Careca
    Careca Posts: 95
    nferrar wrote:
    As has been said, can't you just buy plain cheap Chinese ones? Why buy a Castelli rip-off one that damages their brand?
    Genuine trade team kit is usually pretty budget stuff anyway, it's not the same kit the pro team actually uses (there are exceptions like the Rapha pro team range).

I bought a long sleeve pro team top from Prendas a few years ago, which claimed to be actual pro issue, and I have to it was (and still is), superb quality. Have genuine trade team short sleeve jersey, which I have to say, is nowhere near as good quality as the long sleeved one.

And like elderone, I wouldn't fancy knock off shorts. Genuine cheap shorts are bad enough with regards to longevity, so goodness knows what knock off ones are like!
  • rodgers73
    philthy3 wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:

You've already made your mind up so why bother asking for opinions? People have told you the quality is crap and from my experience of them, yes the colour runs. Anything white is virtually see through too and the material wears through in no time. But, go ahead and buy some as it appears it is the only way you will learn.

I genuinely haven't made my mind up - otherwise I'd have bought a jersey already. I was actually pointing out that there isn't a LOGICAL reason why these things should automatically be assumed to be rubbish, when a lower priced jersey has performed very well in terms of fit, material quality etc.

Replies on here suggest the fit isn't very good in some cases but otherwise no serious and consistent quality problems. Some people are unhappy, but not all.

I'll be buying through ebay and paypal to avoid any potential fraud/card issues.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've had some Chinese kit and the Sky shorts lasted longer than the genuine Adidas ones. Obviously they're not as decent as say Assos - but pretty good value for money. Especially as team kit is out of date almost as soon as you buy it with revamps for the Tour etc..

The jerseys seem as good as any others to be honest. Sizing is a bit small - so size up one and you should be OK.

I don't get why a piece of lycra should be so expensive for the genuine articles. Mass produced ? They should be fairly cheap but some of them have ridiculous tags.
  • Gazspurs
    Gazspurs Posts: 122
    Buy cheap - buy twice

I purchased a chinese copy of this years Sky/Rapha top as love the design. Although not dreadful the fit is baggy, and you get an awful lot of persperation gather in the jersey while out on a decent size ride.

I ended up buying the real £150 pro team jersey & you can tell the difference a mile off. great fit, feels nice, works well.

I wouldn't dimiss buying the fake as at £20 it wasn't horrendous but its just not the same as the real deal kit.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Got a chinese copy Philipe Gilbert world champs jersey, its not bad in terms of material but the zip was terrible. got that replaced and its fine.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    Got a Monton Cube jersey from China, a couple of Aldi tops, a couple of Decathlon tops, more than happy with them. For me they do the job on a tight budget. I'm not able to justify the (IMO) over-inflated prices the 'real' kit commands - it's not all about better quality, it's a lot about snobbery.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Bangladesh! Don't do it, you're just fanning the flames of corruption. And buying a piece of shite too. What is the point in buying fake anything, consumerism gone mad.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Sprool wrote:
    Got a Monton Cube jersey from China, a couple of Aldi tops, a couple of Decathlon tops, more than happy with them. For me they do the job on a tight budget. I'm not able to justify the (IMO) over-inflated prices the 'real' kit commands - it's not all about better quality, it's a lot about snobbery.

I disagree. Having sampled the poor quality Chinese kit off ebay, I can see why you pay for the genuine article. I've used Giordana kit ever since and have never had an issue with fit, wicking or colour run. Yes it's more expensive than knock off rubbish, but as someone else points out, at least the person sitting at the machine is getting a decent wage rather than a few sheckles for the poor desperado making the knock off stuff for some rich China man. With the genuine article you get a guarantee of quality. With knock off you take the chance you're going to get a half decent one with no come back if you don't. You're also feeding criminality just the same as the guy buying a nicked biked off Gumtree.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • rodgers73
    Bearing mind the record of some sports brands like Nike on sweatshop labour, I don't think we should assume that higher prices guarantee your garment was made in ethically sound factories. I think it's a lottery either way.