Obsession with symmetry.

jamie1012
jamie1012 Posts: 171
edited June 2013 in Road general
I would imagine this is fairly common actually, but I'm a relative newbie and I was wondering if everyone else is as pre-occupied with movements being clean and symmetrical and generally having an elegant pedal stroke and having both hands in exactly the same position on either side of the bars etc? It's a pain, because perfection is unattainable, and I want to feel at ease on the bike :D

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    I feel completely at ease on the bike.......... and so dont think about position, pedalling etc. I dont see how anyone could feel at ease while they do nothing but think about all the above ^^ - maybe you need to stop worrying and just assume you will ride smoother by relaxing more.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    How do you cope? When one leg is down the other is up, when one is forward the other is back. Even when they are level they are not symmetrical. :|
  • jamie1012
    Me-109 wrote:
    How do you cope? When one leg is down the other is up, when one is forward the other is back. Even when they are level they are not symmetrical. :|
    It's more lateral symmetry that I'm talking about. Consciously thinking about making sure my knees don't jut out, etc.

Perhaps I have mild OCD and never knew it :lol:
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Nothing mild about it - you are Mega OCD plain and simple :-)

Just ride the damn thing.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    +1.

Just ride. Focus on the road, the sensation of movement and speed. Be aware of your surroundings, the noise of the Tarmac passing beneath you, the traffic, other riders, the weather......

You're missing out on lots of wonderful things
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    My bike frame is asymmetrical, so no.

I have a video of Eddy Merckx cycling up a mountain in the Giro absolutely pummelling the pedals, with his head lunging from side to side, ugly. I think he was about 2 minutes ahead of everyone else and already wearing the Pink Jersey :)
  • jamie1012 wrote:
    having both hands in exactly the same position on either side of the bars etc?

greg-lemond-gallery-ap-620x725.jpg
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Considering I have functional asymmetry (one leg is noticeably longer than the other), I find being symmetrical as overrated and unnecessary. Even the chainstays on my bike are asymmetric. :P
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Definitely some OCD there. Which I think we can all be at times. But when it comes to symmetry on a bike, I sometimes cycle with one hand on the hoods and one in the drops. Couldn't care less really, so long as I'm comfortable.
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    I couldn't ride with 2 different drinks bottles. They have to matching
    Guess that's the same sort of thing lol
  • 86inch
    86inch Posts: 161
    I have sympathy with that, i can't ride with odd bottles either... and i can't just fit only 1 bottle cage if there are 2 sets of bosses.... its "all or nothing".. but as for riding, forget about symmetry, its all about comfort.
  • jamie1012
    jamie1012 wrote:
    having both hands in exactly the same position on either side of the bars etc?

greg-lemond-gallery-ap-620x725.jpg
    See, that right there, I could not do that :shock:

Then again, getting plugged full of buckshot probably puts things into perspective for a man.