Bikefit options for a casual rider...

prhymeate
prhymeate Posts: 795
edited June 2013 in Road general
I haven't had a bike fit before but am considering one before I buy my next bike. I currently have a Triban 3 and don't tend to go on long rides, usually just 30miles or so. There are several options at my local shop (bike science in putney) and I can't decide if I should just go for the cheapest one for now. I don't have any specific injuries I'm hoping it will cure, I'm just looking for a few tweaks and to learn about how to optimise my position.

Level 1 - traditional fit, 75mins, £89.99
Level 2 - 3D Retul fit, 2hrs 30mins, £184.99
Level 3 - 3D Retul fit, 4 hours, £259.99

I don't want to pay for the Level 3, although could be persuaded for the Level 2 if people consider it to be that much better?

Comments

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Where are you ?
    Living MY dream.
  • prhymeate
    I'm in SW London
  • I bought my bike from Specialized Concept Store and they do basic bike size and set up for abouT £40 or the full BG bike ft for about £120 - the BG fitter advised that I take the bike with the basic set up fit and ride for at least 3 months and then book in for a full fit if I had specific problems. Seemed like good advice to me at the time and it strikes me it may also apply to you
  • ricky1980
    ricky1980 Posts: 891
    for casual usage you don't need to be too precise so go for the cheap one, that gets your shoes and cleats done and your saddle height and fore-aft position correct.

then the reach i guess it is almost like a personal preference. if you in-flexible go for shorter reach i.e. shorter stem and/or high degree of flip upward. and vice-versa.

the above's BG fit for 40 sounds like what you need
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • I went to Garth ant Vankru in Southampton today for a 3 hour Retul fit. Really impressed, broke down the way my body was working with the bike and adjusted pretty much everything to get a much more efficient and comfortable motion. Really nice guy who went through everything in great detail. £145 well spent in my my book.
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • prhymeate
    Cheers for the replies everyone. I'll check out my local Specialized store and see what they offer. Am I wrong to be a bit hesitant to go somewhere that is a one brand shop? I don't want them pushing a load of specialized gear on me.

£145 for a 3 hour retul fit sounds like great value, I am not aware of anywhere near me that does them for that price.
  • Prhymeate wrote:
    Cheers for the replies everyone. I'll check out my local Specialized store and see what they offer. Am I wrong to be a bit hesitant to go somewhere that is a one brand shop? I don't want them pushing a load of specialized gear on me.

£145 for a 3 hour retul fit sounds like great value, I am not aware of anywhere near me that does them for that price.

If you are SW London, Vankru is only an hour or so away?
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I've had the level 2 done twice at Derby, well worth it.
  • ricky1980
    ricky1980 Posts: 891
    Prhymeate wrote:
    I don't want them pushing a load of specialized gear on me.
    they shouldn't and they won't. the fit will adjust you existing setup, anything need changing they will advise you but you can source from else where...most likely a stem change...
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • prhymeate
    Prhymeate wrote:

If you are SW London, Vankru is only an hour or so away?

I don't have a car so would have to get the train, which takes almost 2 hours and costs about £35. I'll keep it in mind but ideally I'd prefer somewhere a bit nearer.
  • rpherts
    rpherts Posts: 207
    Four hours?!! Do you get dinner with that as well?
  • andyd77
    andyd77 Posts: 27
    I've had the level 2 done twice at Derby, well worth it.

where about in derby?
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    Are you getting it done at Cadence at Crystal palace? If so be reassured. I had a level 1 for my alfine hubbed commuter. I Had previously been to the bike whisperer for a fit for my other road bike but could not justify the extra cost and time for the commuter. Very positive experience at Cadence and a noticeable improvement in comfort and power. My 2 bikes are very diferrent geometries etc and yet positioning seems just right. I cannot vouch for l2 and l3 and, to be honest, if i get a new bike online in future i will go back to sherrit at the bike whisperer for a fitting. He will even advise on frame sise and components in advance. Excellent and friendly service but more expensive. Hope this helps.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I'd say a basic fit by a decent fitter should be all you need, does the £90 one include any video analysis though? If not I'd go somewhere else as it's a bit of a rip-off at that price otherwise
  • prhymeate
    nferrar wrote:
    I'd say a basic fit by a decent fitter should be all you need, does the £90 one include any video analysis though? If not I'd go somewhere else as it's a bit of a rip-off at that price otherwise

It doesn't seem to have any video analysis.. this is the description for the level 1 fit.

The level 1 bike fit option uses traditional static bike fit measurements while the rider is stationary on the bike. An Excellent choice for people in the process of selecting a new bike and needing to know what kind of geometry is going to suit them best, or riders who need general guidance of a suitable set-up for their existing bike. The fitting jig used allows any geometry to be replicated or the fit can be performed on your own bike. The process ends with the mechanical set-up of your current bike and the production of a PDF report of the final set-up geometry. If you don't have a the bike that needs setting up at the time of the fit, bring it back in at a later date to complete the set-up.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I can't see the point of spending the value of your bike on a bike fit. Majority of the infomation you can find on an online calculator where you put your body measurments in, the rest you can sort with common sense, an allan key and trial and error.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    If they are offering 3 levels of fit then the basic one is probably a waste of money - the other two sound exorbitant - if you had a specific injury problem then maybe.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Mindermast
    Mindermast Posts: 124
    No matter which fit you are going to have, it might be clever to do it on the new bike instead of before buying it.
  • prhymeate
    Mindermast wrote:
    No matter which fit you are going to have, it might be clever to do it on the new bike instead of before buying it.

Surely it would be better beforehand, that way I can get my current bike set up and also use the measurements to be sure I buy the bike with the best fit for me before splashing out about £1,000?