New "Homebrew" Garmin mount

Mark Elvin
Mark Elvin Posts: 997
edited July 2013 in Road general
Had this printed by the guys at Raceware Direct from my CAD model, weighs about the same as the single sided Garmin mount that Racewear Direct make, just optimeised the use of material slighty. I also wanted a double sided clamp arrangement to satisfy the OCD side of me that wanted the symmetry & also adds an extra layer of confidence that it's not going to come adrift.

20130531_184509_zps600a1cf2.jpg

20130531_184443_zpsf7fc28e1.jpg

20130531_184517_zps90865623.jpg
2012 Cannondale Synapse

Comments

• Rodders30
    Rodders30 Posts: 314
    Looks good. I'd be with you on the symmetry :D

Hoe much did they charge?
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • Can we have more pictures of you riding the little red bike?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Mark Elvin
    It was a freebie as I did the design, however, I'd exect it will be priced similar to the rest of their mounts when it goes on sale.

There's a MK2 already on the CAD screen that's further optimised & will save 15-25% weight, but this one is pretty bloody light as it is..
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • andyd77
    andyd77 Posts: 27
    how much if I wanted a copy of the one you have please?
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    If you're that OCD and obsessed with weight then why do you have that silly case on your Garmin?

The mount looks good, but a little asymmetry doesn't worry me. After all most bikes are very asymmetric anyway....
    More problems but still living....
  • Mark Elvin
    Should be about the same price as Racewear Directs normal mounts. Ill check.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    3d printing, it's the future.
    Living MY dream.
  • Mark Elvin
    edited June 2013
    For those that are interested here's a link to the website selling them - http://www.racewaredirect.co.uk/#/shop/ ... nt/5818815
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • Mark Elvin
    amaferanga wrote:
    If you're that OCD and obsessed with weight then why do you have that silly case on your Garmin?

The mount looks good, but a little asymmetry doesn't worry me. After all most bikes are very asymmetric anyway....

Not obsessed with weight, just can't see the point, if I'm designing something, in it being any heavier than it needs to be!
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • andyd77
    andyd77 Posts: 27
    mark I have another little project that you might be able to help with - how do I contact you privately?
  • Mark Elvin
    andyd77 wrote:
    mark I have another little project that you might be able to help with - how do I contact you privately?

send me a PM & we'll go from there.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • cajer
    cajer Posts: 1
    I'm a student at an internship, and I just recently got access to a 3D printer and I want to print out a Garmin mount like you did. However, I have no clue what the locking mechanism looks like as I have yet to purchase a Garmin. Could you send me a model of the locking mechanism or give me some pointers?
  • shortcuts
    shortcuts Posts: 366
    Love the look of that mount in OP. Should it go into production or become available I would certainly be interested as the Garmin mount I have for my Edge 800 leaves my 'puter at a slightly 'off' angle due to the thickness/narrowing of my bars. This one would centre it in line with my stem and satisfy my OCD. I will keep an eye out for this mount or similar.
  • Mark Elvin
    shortcuts wrote:
    Love the look of that mount in OP. Should it go into production or become available I would certainly be interested as the Garmin mount I have for my Edge 800 leaves my 'puter at a slightly 'off' angle due to the thickness/narrowing of my bars. This one would centre it in line with my stem and satisfy my OCD. I will keep an eye out for this mount or similar.

It already is on the Raceware Direct website.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • Mark Elvin
    cajer wrote:
    I'm a student at an internship, and I just recently got access to a 3D printer and I want to print out a Garmin mount like you did. However, I have no clue what the locking mechanism looks like as I have yet to purchase a Garmin. Could you send me a model of the locking mechanism or give me some pointers?

I was sent the mount data by Martyn at Raceware Direct, he manufactures & sells them via his website so I'd feel unhappy sending it on as it's his IP really.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    cajer wrote:

When you buy your Garmin, measure either the mount or the Garmin and post them on here for somebody else to use?

On a separate note, my bike's dirty. Can somebody come round and wash it please?
  • shortcuts
    shortcuts Posts: 366
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    shortcuts wrote:

It already is on the Raceware Direct website.
    So it is, thank you. When I first looked from the link earlier there was just a picture and nothing more. Then I realised I had to go to 'the shop' button. DOH!

Cheers.
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 230
    $T2eC16JHJFoE9nh6m-mjBQDwzhSYYQ~~60_57.JPG

found this if its of any use to people with the skills to use
    ---
    Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    Mark. That is very cool. I'm trying to persuade my boss that we really need a 3D printer.