Broken spokes

nort757
nort757 Posts: 104
edited June 2013 in Road general
Evening guys,
got into road riding last october after purchasing a trek domane 4.0 which came with standard bontrager wheels(aluminium hubs and rims) just before christmas i had a spoke snap near the hub on the rear which was fixed by my local trek dealer who i had the bike off,just after christmas the spoke on the opposite side of the same hub went scratching all the paint off the inside of the chain stay ,took it in again and trek sent me a bontrager ssr rear wheel instead which to start with doesnt match the front but i was guessing it was a slight upgrade so left it at that,now today a spoke has gone in that one too once again damaging the paintwork
is there anything i could be doing wrong? im no powerhouse by any means i weigh around 80 kilos but this is really getting me down,is it poor build on the wheels or am i just unlucky?
i understand the wheels are not the dearest or best spec out there but i still expect better on a £1500 bike but i also understand that spokes do go
hope this isnt too much of a rant but could do with other peoples opinions on the matter

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,260
    Spokes should last longer and in some cases they do last 10-20 years. However, in the case of bad builds and wheels with 16-24 spokes, fatigue can have the better of them in just a few thousand miles or even less if the build is particularly lousy. A rebuild is probably out of question for your wheels, so think of returning them under warranty or getting a new set, possibly built by a human who knows what he is doing. Basic factory sets are all crap and if you want something decent you either gothe hand built route at 200-300 pounds or go for something built by a manufcturer in the 300 + range (or less if on sale)
    left the forum March 2023
  • nort757
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply, would you have any builders in mind and any recommendations on spec for the £300 hand builts please?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,260
    Nort757 wrote:
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply, would you have any builders in mind and any recommendations on spec for the £300 hand builts please?

well, if you live in London, come and see me... otherwise, where do you live?

Talking about others, I have seen good work and bad work... good work from Harry Rowland, less so from others I won't name here
    left the forum March 2023
  • nort757
    hi
    i'm in the west midlands,i will see what response i get and contact you when i have decided if thats ok?
    cheers