Glasses and rain?

barrybridges
barrybridges Posts: 420
edited June 2013 in Road general
Whenever I'm on the bike I'll always wear some form of eye protection; recently I decided to invest in some Oakleys with the low-light lenses, which I've found really make everything look brighter.

Maybe it's a really dumb thing to say though, but whenever I go out riding in wet conditions it only takes about 10 minutes before I literally can't see a thing through them, because of the rain clinging to the lens.

I'm sure I never had this issue with my trusty £10 DHBs.

So, I suppose my question is: what do others do when it rains? Do you not wear any glasses at all?

If you do, is it normal for there to be no visibility? Or is it just a combination of the Oakleys with the helmet meaning I get a lot of water dripping on them and staying on them?

I don't want to sound like an idiot, but I really can't see anything. But I hate riding without something on my face as I get all sorts of gunk, flies etc in my eyes otherwise.

Comments

• ed_j
    ed_j Posts: 335
    Get a pair of these bad boys

scubamask.jpg
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,438
    my oakleys shed water like crazy, there's a coating on them that does this

if water drops are clinging there's something wrong
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Wear a cycling cap under your helmet. The peak reduces the amount of water making it onto the lenses.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • barrybridges
    sungod wrote:

Really?

Out of interest, what ones do you have. I've just got the Racing Jackets, like these (but not in Asian fit):

http://uk.oakley.com/products/6989/26329

Quite seriously, these are absolutely useless in any kind of wet conditions, even just spray - you can't see anything out of them, to the point of it being dangerous.
  • Southgate
    Southgate Posts: 246
    I think I recall that Oakley sell little bottles of anti-rain juice which you apply to the lens with a small brush, the idea being that the rain just rolls off leaving the lens nice and clear. In fact I vaguely recall that they gave me a complimentary bottle when I bought my pair a couple of years ago. Perhaps I ought to look for it and try it out. Although it is possible it was really a bottle of vodka. Ah, I've found the little applicator - it's like the end of a large marker pen. But no bottle (of anything). Perhaps I drunk it. Do bear in mind that I sometimes also imagine that I have a Dura Ace groupset, so I wouldn't take my word as gospel. Check it out on the net. Or soften the fuck up, and only go out when the sun shines.
    Superstition begins with pinning race number 13 upside down and it ends with the brutal slaughter of Mamils at the cake stop.
  • denniskwok
    denniskwok Posts: 339
    How about using some Rain-X on the lenses? I've never done it before myself, but it should help.
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    smidsy wrote:
    Wear a cycling cap under your helmet. The peak reduces the amount of water making it onto the lenses.

Defo. I'd rather leave behind my glasses than a cap when it's raining.

Rob
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    edited May 2013
    Get a helmet with an adjustable (for riding on drops) peak.
    It'll deal with rain, sun, long beam car lights miles better than the best glasses.

Oh wait... they apparently look "wrong" on a road bike according to some fashion experts... :wink:
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Thought Oakleys had protective stuff on the lenses making water run off them? My jawbones did.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,438
    sungod wrote:

Really?

Out of interest, what ones do you have. I've just got the Racing Jackets, like these (but not in Asian fit):

http://uk.oakley.com/products/6989/26329

Quite seriously, these are absolutely useless in any kind of wet conditions, even just spray - you can't see anything out of them, to the point of it being dangerous.

mine are radar path, i have a few different lenses, all fine in the wet, the coating is what sets oakley apart from
    most others, even the plain lenses i have shed water fast

maybe the coating on yours has been contaminated? if you haven't got the oakley cleaner, i find just water and fairy liquid to clean then a good rinse will leave them in good condition
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Take them off when it's raining hard, just like the pros do, then you can see where you are going. You won't get insects in the rain.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • jamie1012
    jamie1012 Posts: 171
    Barteos wrote:
    It'll deal with rain, sun, long beam car lights miles better than the best glasses.

Oh wait... they apparently look "wrong" on a road bike according to some fashion experts... :wink:
    Why wear a peak when you could wear a cap?
  • In my limited experience riding without glasses, even in heavy rain, is a bad idea. It's not just insects you need to worry about - cars and other bikes throwing up stones, diesel/oil on the road being sprayed up etc.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    In my limited experience riding without glasses, even in heavy rain, is a bad idea. It's not just insects you need to worry about - cars and other bikes throwing up stones, diesel/oil on the road being sprayed up etc.
    I agree completely. I started off refusing to wear them except when it was actually sunny, but I gradually came to realise how useful they were for keeping wind/rain/hail/snow/insects/gravel/dust/etc out of your eyes. Even something as simple as going down a long hill at 30+mph becomes much more pleasant when you don't have to squint into the wind.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I agree but if it's raining hard and you can't see where you going there isn't much choice other than to remove them or stop. It's surprising how much easier it is to see in the rain without them, I find..
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Have a pair of Jawbones & as others have said mine shed the rain pretty well indeed but have also used their own glass cleaner which does help.

Oakley are really good with warranty issues so might be worth contacting them or the retailer you purchased them from. Lense issues are few & far between but Oakley should honour any issues with yours.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    I wonder if you are over thinking this.

I wear glasses when doing so seems a better option than not.

So if they are misting up, or covered in rain (or mud on the MTB) I take them off. Then put them back on when it makes sense to.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    denniskwok wrote:
    How about using some Rain-X on the lenses? I've never done it before myself, but it should help.
    Be careful with Rain-X. It can destroy some hardcoatings on plastic lenses. Can't give a list of all the brands that are affected but sometimes the mfrs. will tell you on their websites if Rain-X is safe or not. I've seen firsthand how it destroyed some glasses and a motorbike helmet faceshield of mine but I also have a newer helmet that specifically states that RX is OK to use.
  • edten
    edten Posts: 228
    Wear a cap. the peak helps keep water off the lenses
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    edten wrote:

We covered that in reply #3. Keep up.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • barrybridges
    Thanks for your replies. I've contacted Oakley in the first instance as it might just be I have a faulty pair that don't have the hydrophobic coating or whatever it's called.

There's definitely something up with them; water clings to them like a magnet.
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    jamie1012 wrote:
    Barteos wrote:

Why wear a peak when you could wear a cap?

Why wear a cap when you could use a helmet with a peak, especially in summer?
  • edten
    edten Posts: 228
    smidsy wrote:
    edten wrote:

We covered that in reply #3. Keep up.

Unlike you I don't have the time to read every post ;)