Does helmet design affect noise from passing air?

barrybridges
barrybridges Posts: 420
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
I currently wear a relatively cheap Giro Monza helmet which I've had for a few years now. It wasn't expensive, does the job and looks ok.

Recently though I've grown to dislike it because it is just so damn noisy - or at least, I think the helmet's at fault - when it comes to the sound of air rushing past you.

Can different helmet designs make a difference to the passing air noise you hear?

When I turn my head to the side, the noise drops completely , but straight-on the noise of the passing air is so loud I can't actually hear cars approaching from behind until they're alongside me.

I'm sure that I never used to have this problem with previous helmets.

So, do I have a valid question (with a valid answer) or is the noise from the passing air not affected by the helmet design?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    yes, it makes a difference, some helmets do seem to generate more noise than others, but head/ear shape will also be a factor

can't remember the name, but there're some clip on bits you can get that deflect air to reduce noise, if you're finding it really bad may be worth trying
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    yes

my bike helmets make slight noise (full face is slightly quieter)

I use it as a guesstimate of speed over 30 or so is when noise really picks up (and I think its the straps that make most of the noise)

my POC snowboard helmet whistles.... really annoying.....
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    My Spesh SL3 is really noisy. Only noticed it fairly recently as had been wearing windproof headband or skullcap, due to the rubbish weather, both of which covered my ears. Got to thinking it was really windy on my last ride out, but then noticed none of the surrounding trees or vegetation was getting blown about. Also have a Bell Array which is much quieter....
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    That calm when you turn your head sideways or look down is down to the design of your ears. I'd say even with a bad helmet it only accounts for a small amount of the noise. People have tried to design things you wear on your ears to make air pass over them and give a quieter ride, though ive not tried them .. tempted though .. the serenity of no whooshing doing 40kph+ would be nice.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread