another colnago C59 sizing question

nobrakes71
nobrakes71 Posts: 52
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi all
I know that measuring a frame on the internet is not accurate, etc. but maybe you could provide an indication of what would be a good educated guess.

My height is 179cm and inseam is 88cm.

I was looking to get a C59, and I believe it's either a 52 sloping or 54 sloping (I'd opt for the sloping rather than the traditional).

Anyone here riding a C59 in those sizes? If so, could you let me know your height / inseam so I could have an indication of what works?

Many thanks

Comments

• Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    I think 54 is too big. 50 or 52 would be more like it. I'm your height and ride a 52. Wouldn't want to go any bigger. Saddle height is 76cm.

It's a lot of money though. Get measured/fitted.
  • nobrakes71
    thanks for the 2 cents. Did you get your C50 from Maestro? What did he recommend if I can ask? I went to see him and he recommends a 54s. He said a 52s would be ok too - but as I have a bit of a pinched nerve on my neck, a 54s would be more comfortable as I would sit in a more upright position.

I sat down on a 54s briefly while visiting a dealer and it didn't feel too stretched.

But in a way I see what you mean - 54s feels / seems quite big
  • Mickyg88
    Mickyg88 Posts: 289
    I struggle to understand the op's question. You have been to a dealer, sat on the bike you want, and then ask for advice from us who don't even know or have seen you, why not just ask his advice, surely as a Colnago dealer he has a modicum of intelligence and knows his bikes .....
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    A 54s sounds way too big, I'm about your height but shorter legs and take a 50s, but could have the saddle a lot higher and a longer stem than the 110cm that I currently use.

It's easier to make a smaller framer larger than a larger frame smaller.

But as everyone else has said...BIKE FIT first!
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I also don't get why the bigger frame would help your neck, sure it might have a slightly taller headtube but you'll be more stretched out to
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    The 54 has a 56.5cm TT vs a 55cm for the 52?

Neither looks unreasonable - the bigger one had a more relaxed seat tube angle - doesn't that effectively shorten the TT a bit anyway as you position the saddle in relation to the bottom bracket?

Unless you want an aggressive position the shop's advice looks ok to me on the face of it - obviously it's impossible to say any more without seeing you on it. You'd probably have a fairly short stem on it (10-11cm) but not need any or mny spacers which is a bonus. Maestro has a lot of experience in fitting people to Colnagos - if they recommend a size and it feels ok then I'd go or it.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • nobrakes71
    Thanks for all the posts so far, much appreciated.

I can see that it might not make much sense for me to ask this as some of you stated - but again, I'm too a bit suspicious that a 54s might be too big. Although I sat on one for 1 min and it felt ok, riding 4 hours can be quite different.

Hence my thought of collecting a few 'data points' of owners' measurements to see if I could 'interpolate' my own measurements and frame size - if it makes sense. So, if i had 3 or 4 people measurements for each frame, I could more or less see where I would fit whiting this data points. Not an exact measure, but again, a better informed guess that coupled with Mike's thoughts could make me more confident about what size to order.

Again, it's all a bit of an art and science I suppose, so all I'm trying to do is get as much information from different sources so I can make a better informed decision.

Regarding fitting - agree it's a good thing to do, however I was told by a well regarded fitting shop in West London that he wouldn't be able to recommend a frame size based on the measurements he would get from a fitting gig.

In his own words "I hate to turn business away but in this instance I am not sure we can provide what you are looking for. The Colnago range has such small steps in their sizing that the best way to be sure of the correct size is to work closely with a Colnago dealer and to actually try out sizes within your coordinates. "

Only issue is - it's very difficult to get test bikes - when I 'sat' on the 54s I mentioned earlier, it was actually a bike that belonged to a member of staff and he kindly allowed me to adjust his seat post and sit on it. They didn't have any complete bikes for me to try - only framesets.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    nobrakes71 wrote:
    Thanks for all the posts so far, much appreciated.

I can see that it might not make much sense for me to ask this as some of you stated - but again, I'm too a bit suspicious that a 54s might be too big. Although I sat on one for 1 min and it felt ok, riding 4 hours can be quite different.

Hence my thought of collecting a few 'data points' of owners' measurements to see if I could 'interpolate' my own measurements and frame size - if it makes sense. So, if i had 3 or 4 people measurements for each frame, I could more or less see where I would fit whiting this data points. Not an exact measure, but again, a better informed guess that coupled with Mike's thoughts could make me more confident about what size to order.

Again, it's all a bit of an art and science I suppose, so all I'm trying to do is get as much information from different sources so I can make a better informed decision.

Regarding fitting - agree it's a good thing to do, however I was told by a well regarded fitting shop in West London that he wouldn't be able to recommend a frame size based on the measurements he would get from a fitting gig.

In his own words "I hate to turn business away but in this instance I am not sure we can provide what you are looking for. The Colnago range has such small steps in their sizing that the best way to be sure of the correct size is to work closely with a Colnago dealer and to actually try out sizes within your coordinates. "

Only issue is - it's very difficult to get test bikes - when I 'sat' on the 54s I mentioned earlier, it was actually a bike that belonged to a member of staff and he kindly allowed me to adjust his seat post and sit on it. They didn't have any complete bikes for me to try - only framesets.
    Wow, never heard that one before. Easy to get test rides on a C59 imo. Especially in London. Go to a Colnago dealer or contact Windwave and go from there.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    The 54 has a 56.5cm TT vs a 55cm for the 52?

I would look at the effective top tube length, and head tube length. I'm about your height and inseam and my bike has 54.5cm eTT, so the 52 frame with 55cm seems a decent fit. However the head tube might be a bit short giving you a bigger drop saddle to bars. Moving to the 54 will require a 10 or 20mm shorter stem.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • nobrakes71
    Giant Man-> any dealers in London you know that have test bikes (to ride)? I went to a couple (Sigma Sport and Bespoke) but they only have framesets and display models for sale - but no 'test bikes' that they would allow me to take for a spin.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    You could have a word with Cyclefit in WC2, I had a test ride there a couple of years ago ...
  • nobrakes71
    Thanks giant man, will enquire. I have looked on their website though and didn't see colnagos - I know they used to sell them, but maybe they stopped.
  • velojay
    velojay Posts: 44
    I'm 180cm tall with a similar inseam to you and I have ridden frames with similar geometry to the two sizes you are looking at. I have ridden a 55cm top tube (so similar to the 52s) with a longer stem but currently am riding a 56 Cervelo which has very similar geometry to the 54s (56.5cm top tube) you are looking at. I would say that my perfect fit would be somewhere between these two sizes. I am contemplating moving back down a size for my next frame purchase.

Colnago seem to have quite tall head tubes in each size so if I was purchasing one I would go for the smaller size 52s with a longer stem as I like a low position. Keep this in mind when looking at geometry.